Notices

Class of July 2014 Part 2

Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

So fantastic reading through everyone's posts here - sounds like every one is doing well! You all are inspiring!

I will admit I had thoughts of giving in this weekend. Have just been so down in the dumps, and the thought of the "artificial" happy I get from pain pills was just calling my name. When I would be dope sick I could never seem to find anything, but now I know they are readily available. And right away too, heck I haven't given these people their rent money this month, I'm sure they would jump at the chance, probably give me a good deal too. But I played the tape through and I know the hour worth of fake joy would just lead me back deeper in to misery.

Because of that, when today ends it will be a full 21 days for me. BlackJack! I win! It is lovely to beat the house when the odds are not in your favor, isn't it
Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you thought it through Eyes - congrats on 3 weeks - and congrats to you on 2 weeks paintednails
Old 07-27-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
... Does anyone have any tips on how to stop getting so mad at the kids?
Aw, Mish, I'm really struggling with irritability lately too. The kids bear the brunt of it (but let's face it, they cause a big portion of it too, why won't they just LISTEN!!! or STOP ARGUING!!! ) I regret losing my patience with them and asked my oldest to remind me to take a break when I start yelling. When they are annoyed with each other or are frustrated over something, I teach them to take a break, retreat and breathe. I am trying to follow my own advice. Good luck mama!

Old 07-27-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! I let myself get upset by something, and at the end of the day it was as simple as realizing that I cannot control anyone else's thoughts or actions - only my own. Such a simple concept, but when you're used to running to a substance to cope, I guess it takes time to start learning these "skills" again
Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Making another start

Hello,
new to the forums, not new to alcoholism (thats a joke). Anyway, trying for another(!) start here the month of July 2014. Nice to meet you nice people.
I am just glad to be here. Wish me luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Hi Oldskool and welcome. This is a great place to start your journey to sobriety. Good luck 🍀
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Still here, and glad to be so!

Lisa.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

On to Day 17 tomorrow. Everything feels calmer. Life feels calmer. Lots to think about and process. What will I do with all this new found time? Somehow I found hours and hours in which to drink in and I could never relax. Always busy drinking or obsessing about drinking. Do I have enough, have I drank too much, can people tell? How much have I drank today? Can the kids tell? Have I drank too much to drive kid 1- kid 2- kid 3...to tennis, play rehearsal, ballet class, etc? Dang I have to drive because no one else can, but did I really drink that much? guess I'd better keep my eyes out for the cops...so much mental energy.

Now, calm. Everything is calm. Losing so much weight I walked around the house in a bikini all day. Floated on a raft in the pool...looking up at the clouds.

You're not dead yet I thought.

Goodbye Day 16.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EyesOfAStranger View Post
So fantastic reading through everyone's posts here - sounds like every one is doing well! You all are inspiring!

I will admit I had thoughts of giving in this weekend. Have just been so down in the dumps, and the thought of the "artificial" happy I get from pain pills was just calling my name. When I would be dope sick I could never seem to find anything, but now I know they are readily available. And right away too, heck I haven't given these people their rent money this month, I'm sure they would jump at the chance, probably give me a good deal too. But I played the tape through and I know the hour worth of fake joy would just lead me back deeper in to misery.

Because of that, when today ends it will be a full 21 days for me. BlackJack! I win! It is lovely to beat the house when the odds are not in your favor, isn't it
Hi Eyes, good on you for not giving in and for getting to 21 days. I've had problems with painkiller addiction in the past, absolute hell. Stay strong you are doing great. Peace X
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Welcome Oldskool, this is a great class to be in X
Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Morning, everyone! 9.15am here in Blighty.

EyesOfAStranger and paintednails, very well done!

Welcome, OldSkool!

I'm still going strong and feeling SO much better.

Keep going, everyone!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!
Just wandering if anyone's sense of smell has increased? Bit weird I know. I didn't realise I'd lost it but now 30 days in I can smell everything! Suppose it's yet another thing the alcohol dulled.
Loving all the posts, keep on marching soldiers
Old 07-28-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by soberjuly View Post
Now, calm. Everything is calm. Losing so much weight I walked around the house in a bikini all day. Floated on a raft in the pool...looking up at the clouds.

You're not dead yet I thought.
If that's you in your avatar then you're most certainly not dead yet! I don't know what my Fixy will say about that!

Fantastic job on 17 days!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by EyesOfAStranger View Post
I love this! You sound like a real winner to me, Stranger. And you did from your very first post!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, new people!

Sounds like most of us got through the weekend unscathed - tried and tested maybe but intact!

For anyone who didn't, the fight is not lost. Every time you come back here, the battle's not over

Day 14 of no bingeing for me and I'm feeling stronger and more in control every day

Looking forward to a cooler day - the rain hasn't reached us yet but it'll be good when it does!

Hope my wee Fixy is chipper today

Happy Monday everyone! xxx
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Glad to see most of you are doing well.

I unfortunately did not do well, went on a bit of a binge and drank most of the weekend, not going to sit and whine about it, just being honest with y'all.

I am back today and clear headed. I will not drink today.

Have a good sober day everyone

AoS
Old 07-28-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Administrator

well you know what I''m gonna ask Argent....

what could you have done differently?
and what do you plan to do differently next weekend?

D
Old 07-28-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! Glad to have another day of sobriety! My head is feeling a lot better in two different fashions. 1. It hasn't been intoxicated for a day or two at a time and 2. Reading the support and positive thoughts on here.

Morning dee, awholenewlife, ccam, argent..and everyone else that helped me through the last 6 days.

Argent, been in your shoes...way too many times to count. I also would like to learn from your experience and ask (not pry): what was going through your head when you decided to take the first drink? Did you plan on drinking a few days on advance? Did you say "just a couple?" The only reason I ask these questions is because I do the same thing, like clock work, EVERYTIME I decide to go on a binge. Hope all is well now, have a better day and I pray you find inner peace and move forward brightly.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone a quick check in I am still sober this is 3 weeks today I'm on my way to see my eye surgeon to see how well my eyeball has healed, wish me luck I hope he doesn't have to cut. Who knows before the day is over I might have to buy me a seeing eye midget.

Soon as I get there I'll try to do a better check in see how everybody is doing have a good day hello lumpy
Old 07-28-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Dee, Nodak

I dunno I guess I knew it was coming, payday: my usual cycle is drink untill I run out of money and then borrow money to drink...

I should have tried harder, done something else. I had a load of plans that I was going to do but ended up just playing games all weekend.

Plan for tonight, do some house work, try to do anything really but sit on my arse watching tv, might spend some time in the chat room that usually helps with the cravings.

I still have antabuse and some other medication that's supposed to help with the cravings from the last time I tried to quit, been debating if I should give them ago though in all honesty they didn't seem to work/help the last time around...

AoS