Notices

a wicked addiction

Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I can share my experience FWIW...

Today is day three. Headache is still there but not bringing me to my knees. I'm on Claritin D for sinusitis and high dose amoxicillin. Not sure which is withdrawal or the sinus infections.

OK - that helped like ZERO. Sorry !

Must be the meds...
Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day three here for me now too... I managed to drop down to one excedrin last night to quell the headache before bed. That is 65mg and given the half life of caffeine - I'd have had roughly that much in me still from the am dose which was two excedrin.

Today around 11am I started getting the headache again and had another single excedrin / 65mg. So, progress.

I can report a couple definite things though;

1 - SLEEP!!! I slept 7.5 hours the night before last and I slept just over EIGHT hours last night, even oversleeping my alarm!! This has been two nights of the melatonin supplement but in past even that was coming along with wakeups past around 3am. So - it would definitely appear that over-caffeination has been a big factor in the sleep problems I'd been dealing with.

2 - Anxiety & related symptoms; I am more relaxed for sure. Also, the problems I have been having for YEARS with sweaty hands and hyperactive armpit sweat glands (serisously, often sweating through shirts all day....) - gone. A few moments of clammy hands here and there at anxious moments.... but it's a HUGE difference in just a couple of days weaning.

3 - Addictive thought patterns. Holy ****; I crave coffee WAY more than I ever experienced cravings for alcohol. I find myself thinking about coffee many times a day and even talking to myself out loud about looking forward to being able to have coffee again "every now and then" - ****! This sounds just like the alcoholic voice!!!!

To this last point, I really wonder whether I'll be ABLE to just 'moderate' my coffee drinking. I hope I don't have to give it up entirely forever because I do really like coffee... but these physical addiction symptoms and the fact that I am thinking about it and craving it like I am make me serisously wonder if it's just like alcohol and having ANY will mean invariably having way too much.

In any case, I am really pleased with being able to sleep again. My body is feeling better after just a couple days and the sense of awful fatigue and exhaustion and soreness everywhere is being replaced by a sense of feeling rested and strong. That alone has been worth haivng to manage cravings and headaches.

hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to drop the excedrin entirely and be caffeine free to see what effects that has.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lorax1981 View Post
Maybe an OTC pain reliever that doesn't contain caffeine would get you through? Like an ibuprofen?
have tried that and it simply doesn't work. I never realized how physically-addicted my body was to this drug and the headaches get so bad I get tunnel vision and awful nausea. I think I'm going to be able to break free here soon though. Dropping the dosage is progress!