Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I'm only 22 and I don't know if I can quit drinking without dying????

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been drinking heavily since I was about 12 years old (family has always drank alcohol and always let me have some, I would also take some after they were done). I don't know how to quit, or where to start. Everyone I know drinks, all the time. My family, my friends, even the place I work at let's us have two drinks off the tap after work. I just finished my college degree (only God knows how with what I have done) and nothing would be better than to at least slow down the drinking. It's like I find myself drinking every single day, it's at least 6 beers or 30. I just want to quit, I have had enough. It makes me sick and I can't even wake up before 12 in the afternoon anymore. Somebody please help
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I would advise tapering down slowly over a week or two, and if you cannot manage that, to consider a proper medical detox, but rest assured that you can indeed quit without dying.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't state enough in my post. I also drink ridiculous amounts every single day for my age. I consume at least 10 beers or maybe 5 or 6 alcoholic sodas, and every three days or so I'll buy a bottle and drink the whole thing myself. It's like I've gone from this friendly outgoing guy to this lonesome drinking slob that doesn't want to leave the house.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! It is possible to recover and live a normal happy life. Please see a doctor for detox concerns.

Keep posting!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Michael-
I am a 22 year old college guy as well.
I've been sober now for over a month. I started drinking around the age of 15 or but it got very bad the last couple years. I wasn't a daily drinker, but when I did drink I made up for it with week long binges of either a fifth or an 18 pack a day. When I came out of the binge it would leave me absolutely mentally and physically crippled.

Drinking 10 beers a day and/or a whole bottle every few days isn't normal, I did that when I was on my benders and I knew something was terribly wrong.

I don't suggest you try detoxing on your own, I have done that and it is hands down the worst experience in my life. I'm not trying to scare you, but alcohol withdrawal is no joke, it doesn't matter that you're only 22.

I would advice you to see a doctor tomorrow and he/she will most likely prescribe you some xanax for a week or two to take the edge off of the physical and mental withdrawals.

You have to come to terms with the fact that "responsible drinking" just isn't in the cards for you anymore. I tried over and over again to try and prove to myself that I could drink responsibly, but each time the drinking just got worse and worse.

See a doctor and be responsible with your detox. You aren't going to die, but be prepared for a few crap days. I would also recommend going to an AA meeting very soon, I've found them to be really helpful.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Terminally unique, yes. Sure pal. I know everything about drinking a bottle of gin a night. Every gin has that good ole' 47% alcohol content. Whatever. I just want some good tips on quitting. Apparently you are the one that could help me. So what should I do? Bars are on every corner of my neighborhood, there is a liquor store on every corner, every business that I could possibly think of working at serves alcohol and let's employees have a couple, which you probably know is very tempting. I mean, I have thought about traveling across country and just living on the streets and in shelters until I find something.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael
welcome

there's hundreds of people here who'll testify it's possible to quit, and not only not die but have a vastly better life into the bargain

I was surround by drinking and drinkers too - family friends - my entire life revolved around drinking and did for many years...for me to quit I had to make some pretty sweeping changes in the way I lived and the way I dealt with things, and the people I hung around with.

It was a lot of work - and it was often far from easy - but it wasn't impossible either.
I wanted to change.

My old life - my drinking life - *that* was impossible.

The first thing to do is to see a Dr - detox can sometimes be problematic or even dangerous.

Based on my experience, tapering is futile - especially when we reach a certain point in our drinking history....it's far better to seek professional medical care.

Have you thought of support - a recovery group like AA or SMART? or even inpatient or outpatient rehab?

D
Old 10-25-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Micheal, nothing in life is easy. Everything you ever wanted or will want takes time and hard work to achieve. It doesn't matter where you go or what you do, bars and influences are everywhere. You have to be strong learn to train your mind that instead of thinking "there is liquor in there I want some" to "the stuff in there has ruined my life" and will continue to do so every time you pick it up. The beauty about battling alcohol is that it takes 2 to tango and you CAN fight back. If you want to win, you will.
If you've been a heavy drinker for years seeking medical advice is the best route to go for sure. They can properly advise you on what to do and help with your withdrawal symptoms, to an extent. As a fair warning, coming off alcohol will probably be the hardest thing you've had to fight. Its a battle you have to be ready to fight and want to conquer.
Sending my thoughts and prayers to you as you begin your road to recovery. One day at a time
Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Michael,

You are a lightweight compared to how much I drank, and I quit without dying. Withdrawals are a real pain though and they are life threatening, so please get medical help to detox.

Bars are on every corner? Don't go into them

All your friends drink? Get new friends.

This sounds harsh but this is exactly what I had to do to get any significant sober time. I also joined AA. It took a while and several relapses, but I lie a sober life today. You can too.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by michaeleden View Post
Terminally unique, yes. Sure pal. I know everything about drinking a bottle of gin a night. Every gin has that good ole' 47% alcohol content. Whatever. I just want some good tips on quitting. Apparently you are the one that could help me. So what should I do?
First, you will need to decide whether or not you actually intend to quit. Right now, judging from your responses and the thread title, it seems that you are on the fence, so to speak. You appear less concerned about dying in the physical sense than in the emotional sense. There are several ways of staying quit, my own personal choice being indicated in my signature line, but none of them involve moving across the country. There are liquor stores and bars everywhere, not just in your current neighborhood.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Terminally unique, yes. Sure pal. I know everything about drinking a bottle of gin a night. Every gin has that good ole' 47% alcohol content. Whatever. I just want some good tips on quitting. Apparently you are the one that could help me. So what should I do? Bars are on every corner of my neighborhood, there is a liquor store on every corner, every business that I could possibly think of working at serves alcohol and let's employees have a couple, which you probably know is very tempting. I mean, I have thought about traveling across country and just living on the streets and in shelters until I find something.
Michaeleden, you have no reason to be upset with Terminally Unique. Unless you are not ready to hear the truth??

What are your plans? Do you have a plan? Once you get sober these same excuses that you listed above will still be in your way. Getting sober is the easy part... staying sober is another story my friend...

SR is a great community.. and you will get wonderful advice here... including the truth.. you just have to be willing to hear it!!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Michael, there is nothing unique about your situation. We see first posts like this one every day on this forum from folks that have had enough of this bs. Most of them put on their big boy pants and make the decision that will save their lives and change it in ways they can't possibly imagine. They keep posting here and learn from the path that others have taken. In a short time, they feel secure enough in their new life that they start to try to help others to make that life saving choice. On the other hand, some can't find their big boy pants, and they disappear.

Like TU said, you need to make that decision. What is your plan for continuing to use alcohol? Now, this present moment, is a good time to make that plan. Keep posting, Michael, lots of support here.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please quit. Your story sounds like the classic "liver failure at age 30" story... no joke. Get with a doctor and do detox before it's too late.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Find what?

The power to stop drinking comes from within.

You quit by saying NO, no matter what. Say no to your family and friends who drink, say no to going into the liquor stores. If someone offers you a free six-pack on the street or an expensive gin and tonic at a fancy bar, you say no to them to. You say YES to yourself and sobriety, and no to everyone and everything else that gets in the way of that. It's very hard but you can do it.

It might also help to find sober friends so you have things to do with people who don't drink. AA is a great place to find these people. Or join groups for people that like to do things besides drinking-- running, hiking, skiing, writing, reading, whatever your interests are, besides drinking. If you have no other interests besides drinking (I can relate), then get some.

Good luck. You really can do this but you have to be determined and not let excuses get in the way. It comes from within.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

to SR Michael

Lots of great advise has already been offered so I won't bother repeating but I did want to say that you don't have to do this alone. This is a great place to check in everyday and to share your journey w/others who are in the same boat as you.

I know you may not believe this right now but you don't have to drink even if you want to. You do however have to want to get sober and stay sober no matter what. I don't think there is to many of us that don't deal with alcohol being around but we have a desire to not use it anymore and we don't.

I had to be willing to do a lot of stuff that wasn't exactly comfortable, but it sure beat praying to the porcelain God every morning.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Michaeleden!

I think I understand what you sound desperate to find. We have all been there. If you find yourself constantly drinking throughout the day, then you most likely have been drinking when you read this, so may be unfathomable for you to consider just not drinking any more. Keep coming back here. You will find inspiration in others that are either fighting your same fight, or have come out the other side as more content human beings.

In the meantime, set achieveable drinking limits for yourself that you don't break. Very soon, you will be able to begin to incorporate other things into your life that don't revolve around drinking.

You say that there is a bar on every corner. You know what else is on every corner? Among other things you will find a coffeeshop, a bookstore, or a movie rental location. Try to distract yourself with these diversions as much as possible, and soon you will reduce your dependence enough to make rational decisions about your future relationship with alcohol where moderation or abstinance is a possibility.

Let us know how you are doing!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Michael!

I was pretty much a daily drinker at the end, too, and decided I'd had enough of the misery...... It's really hard to maintain that kind of lifestyle.

I hope you decide to talk to a doctor about detox. Keep reading and posting, too - getting support is key to staying sober.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bark4sark88 View Post
Michael-
I am a 22 year old college guy as well.
I've been sober now for over a month. I started drinking around the age of 15 or but it got very bad the last couple years. I wasn't a daily drinker, but when I did drink I made up for it with week long binges of either a fifth or an 18 pack a day. When I came out of the binge it would leave me absolutely mentally and physically crippled.

Drinking 10 beers a day and/or a whole bottle every few days isn't normal, I did that when I was on my benders and I knew something was terribly wrong.

I don't suggest you try detoxing on your own, I have done that and it is hands down the worst experience in my life. I'm not trying to scare you, but alcohol withdrawal is no joke, it doesn't matter that you're only 22.

I would advice you to see a doctor tomorrow and he/she will most likely prescribe you some xanax for a week or two to take the edge off of the physical and mental withdrawals.

You have to come to terms with the fact that "responsible drinking" just isn't in the cards for you anymore. I tried over and over again to try and prove to myself that I could drink responsibly, but each time the drinking just got worse and worse.

See a doctor and be responsible with your detox. You aren't going to die, but be prepared for a few crap days. I would also recommend going to an AA meeting very soon, I've found them to be really helpful.

Good luck
Great advice bark
Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
Great advice bark
Ya +1 to that.

Great advice.