Notices

Binge Drinking and Detox.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Drinking and Detox.

I have never had a problem going a week or two, or maybe three weeks without alcohol, but when I drink, I driiiiiiiink.

This leads me to my question, I go on ... 2-3 day binders and then I get these crazy withdrawal symptoms like I've been drinking nonstop for years.

(I know I have a drinking problem, and I'm actively working on it, which obviously isn't working)

I get the shakes, a weakness all over, and the most terrible nightmares and inability to sleep... is this normal or safe to do on my own?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you drink for 2 - 3 days straight, it's not surprising that you would have withdrawl symptoms. Detoxing from alcohol can always be dangerous and you should talk to your dr before you do it.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Actually, getting a hangover is a mini withdrawal. But yes, you can have some horrific w/d after binge drinking. Why don't you stop drinking altogether? No more feeling like crap after a big bender if you don't drink at all.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's the plan Least, I told my family, and my doctor about my issue with alcohol (being an alcoholic... heh) I have no problem admitting that. I haven't gone more than 2 weeks without a drink since I turned 21, and I'm 24 now.

I attended my second AA meeting lastnight and think I met someone who I would be comfortable with being my sponsor.

I have the support of a caring and and loving SO and family, so I'm hoping I can do this, it's changing my sober thought process, and learning how to have fun sober again that I have to work on. Alcohol just made everything more fun... for a few hours. I'm the type of drinker that doesn't even want a beer unless I can have at least an 18 pack or a fifth of liquor. I blackout 7/10 times.

My goal right now is to work the 12 steps, and even though I'm not sure it's the right... recovery method for me. It definitely won't hurt anything to try all means possible.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Programmer27 View Post
I have the support of a caring and and loving SO and family, so I'm hoping I can do this, it's changing my sober thought process, and learning how to have fun sober again that I have to work on. Alcohol just made everything more fun... for a few hours. I'm the type of drinker that doesn't even want a beer unless I can have at least an 18 pack or a fifth of liquor. I blackout 7/10 times.
I'm the same way here too. In the evenings I find it so difficult right now to get used to the idea that I can't wind down with a drink.
I need to find a better substitute whether it be meditation, a cup of chamomile, or just SOMETHING.

Congrats on your progress thus far!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm 26 and I was the same way. Total Binge drinker. I would only drink if I had a good 2 or 3 day block where I could just get laid out for days. Keep up the good work and congrats on deciding to get sober.

My tip to you is to try and identify the days/times when I would start my benders and find something else to do. One example, for me was any kind of 3 day weekend or holiday. I now sign up for a golf tournament, road race, go visit my parents, anything to just keep me from starting the bender. It seems to work and I don't consider drinking as an option very often anymore, although, the thoughts creep back in sometimes.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UofI2008 View Post
I'm 26 and I was the same way. Total Binge drinker. I would only drink if I had a good 2 or 3 day block where I could just get laid out for days. Keep up the good work and congrats on deciding to get sober.

My tip to you is to try and identify the days/times when I would start my benders and find something else to do. One example, for me was any kind of 3 day weekend or holiday. I now sign up for a golf tournament, road race, go visit my parents, anything to just keep me from starting the bender. It seems to work and I don't consider drinking as an option very often anymore, although, the thoughts creep back in sometimes.
That is sound advice, and is exactly what I need to start doing. It's whenever I'm alone and bored... and I take the 5 seconds to consider drinking. Five minutes later I'm at the liquor store and hiding a bottle in my closet.

I have to replace my down time with something.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Programmer27 View Post
That is sound advice, and is exactly what I need to start doing. It's whenever I'm alone and bored... and I take the 5 seconds to consider drinking. Five minutes later I'm at the liquor store and hiding a bottle in my closet.

I have to replace my down time with something.
Exactly the same for me. One of my worst was when my roomates would be gone and I was by myself. I drank 100% of the time that happened. Usually ended up in missed work. I had to learn how to deal with being by myself etc. It's a little weird at first because I would always have a party/ drinking buddies over when they were gone. Now, I rent a movie, workout, etc. the hardest part is the first few hours after they leave.

You'll get it eventually. If your anything like me though it will take a few tries.