Notices

Planning a quit date on Thursday

Old 02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Planning a quit date on Thursday

The worst part for me is the shaking or tremors. I'm down to a couple of beers when the tremors start. But I know they will still be there on quit day. The last time I quit they lasted for about a week. I'm determined to stick through it this time.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can die from alcohol withdrawal. Really. It is more deadly than crack, cocaine, heroine, meth withdrawal. If you're shaking, have night sweats or feel sick in ANY way, PLEASE see your doctor.
Seriously.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and it'll be easier to stick to it this time if you aren't miserable, in pain or just plain sick. A doctor CAN help you and nobody has to know you've gone for help.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hugger

Welcome to SR.

It is true that detox can be traumatic for some of us - especially if you've had difficulties in the past, I really do recommend medical supervision.

D
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you talk to your dr, too.

And, please keep reading and posting. There's lots of support here.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - Some of the things I've read on alcoholism suggest that withdrawals can get worse (just like our drinking). I hope you don't put yourself in jeopardy. Keep posting and reading, too - this is a great tool, and there's lots of supportive people here who know what you're going through.

Glad you decided to get sober again.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you. I made many quit dates in the past. Some I stuck to, most I didn't. Every decision we make must be followed up with action. Like others have said, it's better to error on the side of caution with regards to seeing a Dr. I would strongly suggest since you have two full days before you quit, go to the Dr. before hand. Tell him / her your entire history, get your vitals checked, etc... I think doing this would help two fold. First, you'd be taking some action right away that supports your decision to quit. Second, it's better to know if you have any thing (high blood pressure for example) that can be treated prior to.

I'm not a Dr. but I do they are there to help. Waiting for the "pain to come" isn't always the best idea, especially when you have a few days to prepare. Make sense?

Best of luck to you!!!