Notices

Why me????

Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why me????

It seems like many of us don't want to admit that we have a drinking problem when we first try and do something about our drinking. We think, I just need to stick to beer, or I need to change my friends, or get a new job, or get away from my nagging wife, or work out more, and on and on... We try and control every other variable except the most obvious one. I CAN'T DRINK NORMALLY....

People who get diagnosed with cancer don't try and get better on their own. Those who suffer from diabetes don't try and cure it by getting a new job. People who are allergic to eating certain types of fish don't say "I haven't had any fish for 90 days, I bet I could have some halibut tonight and be OK". They accept their disease / condition and they do something about it.

We alcoholics often don't surrender that easily.

The question is why? It's my belief that the reason we don't admit there is a problem IS BECAUSE WE DON'T THINK THERE IS A SOLUTION. The good news is --- there is!

There are so many programs / facilities out there that can help us. But we often don't even admit there is anything to help. Just watch Intervention or Celebrity Rehab and look at the denial the exists in those people. Everyone in American understands they have a problem, but them.

I'm sure if there was a camera on me when I was active people would have said the same thing.

I just see so many people fighting this disease (like I did for years) and you just want them to understand that they can't beat it by fighting it. The more I fought, the more I got my ass kicked. The more I thought about ways to beat it, the more it kicked my ass. The more I tried to compare myself to others and say "At least I haven't done that", I would find myself having "that" happen to me...

Round and round and round we go.

If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you probably do. All I can share is my experience which is the only way to "beat" alcohol is to stop fighting it. Humble yourself and take direction. Know that you don't have the answer to this thing. Others do. Ask for help, be honest, and truly accept the fact that there is a solution.

We don't have to drink anymore. None of us! Day by day we get better. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one back. And that's OK!

I am not going to drink tonight. I am going to be sober and I hope everyone else can to!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

been there done that. i made "rules" for myself so I could continue getting drunk. I will only drink on weekends, I will only drink beer, I will only drink wine coolers, I will drink wine but only after 5..... Its exhausting and Im glad I came to the realization that there is no room in my world for alcohol.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, Reggie!

After 20+ years of trying to control my drinking, I finally figured out that I simply can't have alcohol. Of course, it took my BF, my kids, my family to point out that I wasn't the same person when I drank. I always thought that I had everything under control until the past year of drinking bottles and bottles of wine. Then I knew I was out of control and just had to stop. It hasn't been easy. 38 days and counting!!! I feel so much better but keeping that devil out of my mind trying to lure me back to wine when I least expect it can be tough.

What a fabulous team here on SR. So glad I found all of you at the beginning of my journey.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good stuff mmh... 38 days is a long time. Keep it going! My disease tries to trick me from time to time as well. A few days ago I had a huge craving. I made it through it though and I did not regret not drinking.