Notices

Does drinking MAKE you do things you wouldn't normally do?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Things I've never done sober:
Wet My bed
Crawled in bed with my parents by mistake
been in fights
Blatantly hit on other guys girlfriends
Drive drunk
I've done all these things and a lot more that I am none to proud of, good news is that this stuff doesn't happen anymore, and most days my mind is not a bad place to be.

My experience is that I become insane when I drink both in body and mind. I don't justify alcoholism as an excuse for bad behavior,it just comes with the territory with an active alcoholic. I think Captain summed it up well, I don't think. Only a sociopath would actually choose to make some of the decisions we all have.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
Things I've never done sober:
Wet My bed
Crawled in bed with my parents by mistake
been in fights
Blatantly hit on other guys girlfriends
Drive drunk
I've done all these things and a lot more that I am none to proud of, good news is that this stuff doesn't happen anymore, and most days my mind is not a bad place to be.

My experience is that I become insane when I drink both in body and mind. I don't justify alcoholism as an excuse for bad behavior,it just comes with the territory with an active alcoholic. I think Captain summed it up well, I don't think. Only a sociopath would actually choose to make some of the decisions we all have.
Nicely said +1 ;-)
Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Depending on the amount I drank, alcohol depressed the judgment making centers in my brain. The more I consumed the greater my judgment decreased. This also lessened the control I had over my emotions. Making me prone to unregulated emotional out burst. Being highly charged with volatile emotions and a low functioning regulatory system of reason was a potentially disastrous condition to be in.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'd say it depends on how far one goes with the drinking. I've known people that are brilliant, nice and cool when they are sober. When they get to much in em', ie: the black out phase, that's when the real stupid things start happening. It's more a matter how responsible you are with your intake to be able to dictate or predict your actions/re-actions.

Any drug out there that alters your brain has the potential to make you do things you normally wouldn't do.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

At the end of the day alcohol is a mood altering depressant drug and my mood altered a lot.It can affect almost every part of a person’s body. I really did change when I drank but not always reliably the same way. I could be the life and soul of the party, or crying in the corner about my "hard life" The thing is ....you never knew what you were going to get and the scary part for me was neither did it.The affect alcohol has on a person depends on their sex, weight, how fast they metabolize alcohol, situation, mood, and the presence of food in the stomach. Alcohol decreases a person’s inhibitions, ..Alcohol affects the mind and body of a person. I used to say....I know I did y but I would never do x....untill x happened!! For example... I am lucky enough to say (for today) I never had an affair ,but members in AA always answer me with....but yet!!.....I really dont ever want to put it to the test again because the next drink could kill me, and probably in a way I could never dream uo.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A major motivation for me giving up drinking is that I would do things when I was drunk that I would never do when sober. The next day I always had a 'moral' hangover, ashamed of whatever I had done. One friend thought I was so bad when I drunk that she thought I must have an allergy to alcohol!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

first thing booze affects is judgement.My good judgement went out the window when I started drinking.My inhabitions was removed the more I drank.My mind quit using intelligence and used emotions as a guiding factor.With a twisted mind,I did all sorts of things.I take responsibility for it all,I had to quit blaming people,places and things for the shape my life was in.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Talking

oh.. and i gotta ADD this.. the DRUNKEN PHONE CALL THING! oh my god did i do A LOT of that.. pathetic!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
mergirl

Haha, drunk dialing is a perfect (and less painful) example! Now that we are all sober, do you REALLY ever want to call that guy/girl you dated 3 years ago? You know, the one who was SO BAD that you can't for the life of you figure out what you ever saw in them? The one you haven't even thought of since 2 days after breaking up. And suddenly when your drunk, you goggle his/her name to get the number. . .
Old 02-12-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Resident

My simple answer is yes and that is why I am quitting. If the answer was no I would be still drinking and therefore not posting an answer to this question.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I think people react to alcohol differently and what Person A might do after 12 drinks will probably be different than Person B who drinks 12, and Person C who just has 3 and then starts to kick the side view mirrors off of nearby cars while looking for a cop to fist fight with before getting arrested. Like the OP, I always felt like I knew what I was doing even while intoxicated, and never used (or allowed my dark side to use) being drunk as an excuse to participate in overtly anti-social, cruel, or destructive behavior. So I guess my point is that some people can drink and drink and pretty much keep to themselves and then that's it. Other people get a few drinks in them and become verbally abusive, violent jerks. Just depends on the person and how their body reacts to and processes alcohol. I was lucky that when I drank, the transformation was fairly mild. My brother in law is not so lucky.

He is Person C.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Most people never knew when I was drunk. I don't think my wife even knew how bad I'd gotten. Some people are very good at faking sober. I know because I am one.

Others, like mentioned completely transform. Had one friend get so blasted he started dancing around and telling me he was Ozzy Osbourne. And like mention, he had blacked out and had no memory of it.

I'd say it's different for everybody. I almost always pass out before I black out. Maybe I'm just a drunk that can't hold his liquor, I don't know.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

i was a blackout drinker. i used to wake up and check my phone for calls i made, or texts i sent or received. sometimes i'd even go onto myspace to check my girlfriend's status to see if i did anything to **** her off the night before. sometimes i didn't remember getting home but somehow my car was parked outside. alcohol is never an excuse because it didn't force itself into our system. we made the conscious decision to drink knowing full well that we might make stupid decision. i'm just glad i don't have to wake up anymore trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. sober living has been better to me that being drunk ever was.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I've had a few times when it was apparent that I had a blackout the night before. The evidence was before me and I had absolutely no recollection of what I did or why. Some of it was embarrassing...some of it was scary...other times it was harmless. Was I in control while I was doing whatever it was I was doing? I have no idea...because I cannot remember. Whatever the case, I certainly wasn't rational.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh, the things I wished I could forget!!!
And the things I did forget & wished I was never reminded!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

re

I have certainly done ridiculous things while drunk. Things that just make no sense and I KNOW that i didnt want to do sober...so no, I really think that getting drunk causes people to do things they wouldnt do sober. I'm not saying alcohol is an 'excuse' but people need to realize that just because someone does something drunk does NOT mean they had they desire to do that sober.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I think the answer is yes drinking does cause people to do things they normally would not do, but I am not sure if "make" is the word I would use.

I never felt like I had complete loss of control and some demonic force took over my brain. Unlike some forms of mental illness, I didn't experience, for example, a change of personality or a complete loss of will. I always remained "me" and somewhere deep inside, I was still running the show. But I wasn't running the show very well.

My judgement was usually the first thing to go and I made poor choices because of that.
I guess I would phrase it this way: "alcohol made me choose to do things I would not ordinarily do". As opposed to "alcohol made me do things I would not ordinarily do."
I believe that there is always a point of accountability.

Maybe someone's behavior during a black out might disprove my theory. Apparently in a severe black out a person reaches a loss of consciousness. I have heard of people driving, talking, and doing other things in a black out state that they later on could not even recall.
But in that case, I think you will have to separate all the other stages of inebriation from the state of complete black out.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
I guess I would phrase it this way: "alcohol made me choose to do things I would not ordinarily do". As opposed to "alcohol made me do things I would not ordinarily do."
I agree this is more like it for me too.