Notices

Do I have a drinking problem?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I have a drinking problem?

Hi,
I'm here because I want to know if i have a problem with alcohol. I'm a Sophmore in college and my father is an alcoholic who has been clean since I was born. I drink every Thur, Fri, and Sat night usually drinking 8-12 drinks. I was recently arrested twice because of drinking and I have also totaled a car due to it (also made many smaller mistakes). I feel as though I need to drink when I go out because it builds my self confidence and I am a completely different person when I am drunk. I can often get very belligerent. Also, I could never imagine drinking early in the day, but I often get cravings later. I think I might be better off staying sober but I like drinking and always end up getting drunk those three nights a week. Thanks for any imput.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

I had a similar drinking pattern which I kept for decades before realizing that I had a severe drinking problem. I am only starting to deal with it now.
Most will tell you that you do have a problem but only you can decide that for youirself.
If you do decide that it is a problem and that you want to solve it all the people here will give you the support and encouragement that you need.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

the safe bet is; if you question if there is a problem then there is a problem.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

But your in the right place!:ghug3
Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

A very quick and easy Google search will lead you to several online "quizzes" about whether or not you have a drinking problem. But odds are if you're on this site, you already know the answer. People who don't have issues with alcohol don't go searching for recovery web sites.

Only you can decide whether or not you have a problem that's related alcohol use. Just please remember: it's not about how often you drink or how much you drink (although I will say that your intake is currently WAY above the recommended limits for both women AND men). It's about how alcohol affects you and your life.

I don't care if you only drink once every 6 months. If, that one time, when you drink you have negative consequences that are a direct result of your alcohol consumption, then alcohol is a problem in your life.

Keep reading, keep posting, and good luck to you. Welcome to SR.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

The fact you are on a recovery site asking that question suggests you already suspect you do have a problem with alcohol I'd say.

What you do about it is up to you, if you want to stop drinking you'll find lots of support here.

Why not decide to stop for a few weeks and see how things go, how easy you find it to just stop may answer some questions for you.

If you suffer withdrawels though, please be safe and consult your doctor.

Welcome to SR, hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
The others said what needed to be said.

Wanted to say anyway
Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Just because you asked our opinions, I'm going to tell you what I see in your post as red flags:

* the quantity you drink
* the pattern in which you drink (binging)
* you've had arrests related to alcohol
* you've had a car accident related to alcohol
* you feel you NEED to drink
* you get belligerent when you drink
* you have cravings
* you drink to get drunk

and lastly,

* you found SR

Still have any questions?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll agree with the others in you have to decide if you have a problem but since you are here you probably do. Also you are drinking and driving and that can be more than a problem you could wind up killing someone or yourself. So until you decide if you want to stop drinking or not please do not drink and drive or you may not get the chance to decide if you have a problem.

Good luck and you will get alot of help here. My father was an alcoholic and I watched my sister almost kill herself ( she is sober 10 years) and the disease didn't affect me until my 40's when I started drinking. So I do think it can be in the genes.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Boston,

I was reading the titles of people's posts, scanning the board for the first time today. And I saw your post titled, "Do I Have a Drinking Problem?"

Like others will tell you, your opinion on this question is really the only one that matters.

However, just fyi, as soon as I read your question, the answer came to me in my mind. Of course you do. I didn't even have to read your post. If you are concerned enough about the impact of alcohol in your life that you have searched and found this site and gotten up the nerve to post, it is likely that you have a problem.

Again, it's hardly relevant what I think. But if it helps you come to terms with the problem, then it matters, I guess a little.

I resisted facing my alcoholism for 20 years. And I did some very serious and lasting damage to people I love. When I did finally have to admit my addiction, it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I was terrified. I did not know myself without alcohol. But finally finding the courage to step forward into recovery has had the most positive and radiant effect on my life. I am completely transformed.

Please know that, although you are scared now, if you take it one step at a time, things will get better. I promise. I know this from my own experience and from being around and observing other alcoholics.

Good luck and keep us posted if you can. Now that you have posted here, you will find that you have many cheering for you.

With encouragement and hope,

mle
Old 02-10-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking times are a myth when deciding if you are an alcoholic or not, i knew a guy who drank a bottle of vodka a day, never before 7pm at night..ever. He is dead now. So all this BS about i don't drink before x so i can't be an alcoholic is rubbish.

Everything else has been posted, hope you find out sooner rather than later if you are and take action cos if you are an alchie you have a very long and miserable time ahead of you if you don't do anything about it, that's as sure as the sun rising in the morning!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I agree with what everyone else has stated. It will ultimately be up to you to decide if you have a drinking problem but you can also look at it this way. If you decide you are not yet an alcoholic or are in the early stages of having a drinking problem it is better to stop now rather than keep going down that road to "find out." If you think about it what would the point be? If you current behaviors continue and you are not an alcoholic I would say that you will become one and why risk it?

Another way of thinking about it if you decide you aren't an alcoholic it's better to cut way back now or stop for a while so later in life you can have a glass of your favorite drink when you go out to dinner with friends. Once you become an alcoholic you will not be able to drink responsibly again, ever.

I hope you can find the answer you are looking for.

Welcome to SR.

Last edited by Sara9009; 02-10-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Boston, plain and simple, "do you think you have a drinking problem?"

When I was in college, I did exactly what you are doing and it just got progressively worse. I too had a DUI as well as a criminal mischief charge stemming from alcohol when I was in school. All I can tell you is that it doesnt get any easier to slow down drinking. Once you graduate, you will have a job which will add stress. You might have a wife and family that will cause stress. You will have many more bills and this will cause stress. These things may lead you to drink if you already have a drinking pattern.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

BTW, welcome to SR. Please continue to come here and at least read the posts of us who already admit to having a problem and maybe that will help you decide what the next course of action should be.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It's good that you are seeking information.

As others have said, you need to decide if your drinking is a problem or not.

If you can't stop drinking once you start, it's definitely a sign that you are alcoholic. And, so is the fact that drinking is causing your problems like being arrested twice and totalling a car.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you are finding that alcohol is presenting a problem in your life and it seems it is based on what you posted, alcohol is only the SYMPTOM of an underlying problem. You may benefit greatly by investing what that might be with a Dr. and or therapist.

Good luck with everything.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The fact of the matter is that a lot of kids in college have a drinking problem. It takes the smart ones to realize it before they let it take over their life. No one says you HAVE to drink. I'm only 25 and I kept telling myself there is no way I could have a drinking problem because drinking is what kids my age are supposed to be doing! Turns out I was wrong. Drinking can affect any one at any age. Thankfully you are realizing you need to turn your life around now. Welcome to SR. You will find a lot of useful information here.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I have a purpose today.

Hey, I am very glad you found S.R. Welcome.
To answer your question, YOU are the only one who can make the decision on if you have a drinking problem or not. NO ONE else can answer that for you. If you are in question stick around and see if you relate to any of us, it can't hurt.