Notices

Class of May 2012 part 19

Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hey Mayans!
Checking in to say hello. Just got done voting...no lines yippee! I work tonight again but then 3 days off. I am going to spend much of it studying for a major certification. I will likely take the test within the next year.

Shock, sorry yo hear about Oscar. The story makes me want to bite your neighbor too! That person needs to respect boundaries. I think Oscar may have taught that lesson.

Sassy, big hug to you my friend. Sorry you are feeling down. Are you still hitting the gym? I know it's hard, but when I'm feeling it, getting to the gym or running helps. I was reading something today from "the book of awakenings". It is the reading for today, April 9.
"To feel isolated is part of the human journey. But when we obey the feelings of hesitation and separation more powerfully than those we love, we start to experience numbness and depression. This is when we start to live like statues, believing all we can do is watch.
Hard as it feels, it is just at this moment that we must break back into living by reaching for anything, no matter how small or close. If it is fall, rub a leaf across your face. If winter, break a piece of ice. If spring, touch a small flower."
The meditation for today...
"surround yourself with small precious things:a stone, a feather, a shell.

Center yourself and meditate on the space that exists between you and these small precious things.

As you inhale, practice being a statue that comes alive with each breath.

As you exhale, reach for the small presious things before you

I hope that can help you and others today.

OLL, your post was beautiful and made me smile and very happy on my break at work. Thank you so much.

FP, So happy for you! And yes, 3 days off may allow this Igneous Rock to start the PBB flow and break my writers block

Jeni, I hope you are getting some well deserved rest and enjoying time with your family.

Tanja, great news about the sponsor!! Empathy and comfort in her own skin sounds like the making of a great person to work steps with. I wish you well.

WeHav, thinking about you and hoping things are going well.

Bloss, Where are you? I am gonna search you out over on the undies thread on my days off.

Dee, Jane, Lee, Kitty and all my other Mayan friends, I hope you are well.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

I decided to let my Budha statue hold everything I did my meditation with. Helped me realize I have the choice to breathe out and reach for life.

image-3811410107.jpg
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by OneLessLonely View Post
Saskis hope your depression lifts soon. Can you get outside for a little sunshine? I know that helped me on Sunday.
Shock I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this stressful situation. Shame on your neighbor for reaching out to a dog that they've been warned about. Out of curiosity and in getting to know you, (and I apologize if I've missed this),how long have you been sober?
Back to work for me today. The recent nice weather has really done wonders for my mood. But this job is really becoming a black hole in my life. I know I need to do something. But I don't know many who actually enjoy their job so am I just trading one evil for another? If only we didn't have to work to live..
I've been sober 11 months 4 days. I had a two day slip,after my sister/ roommate or 19 years yelled at me that I'm not an alcoholic once too many times and physically abused me. I took alcohol and pills because I didn't see anyway l out but suicide so I used pills and alcohol. Thank my Higher Power I didn't succeed. Two days later When I was able to walk a straight line I was in a meeting and raised my hand. I had a lot of time before that.

I was very lucky that not only did I survive my attempt without going to the hospital but also...

2) that night when my roommate/sister emotionally and physically abused me she came at me so quickly that I wasn't able to finish a call to my AA sponsor who heard the whole fight and she took me to the hospital so the police would have a record (the second time I had gone there and she'd been reported)

3) I had a good foundation in both SMART Recovery and AA so I was able to go straight back

4) perhaps because of the nature of my relapse I didn't loose my relationship with Higher Power.

There is no one to blame but my self. Period. I am just trying to share my ESH.

My birthday will, one day at a time, hopefully be May 4.

Last edited by shockozulu; 04-09-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Hello folks,

OLL, yes, my therapist gave me the same advice to go outside (without sunblock) in the early morning sunshine :-). So you were spot on with your advice!

Big hug to you, too, Rock for your very thoughtful ideas. I know I will get past this, too. It's not fun dealing with depression but there are worse things.

Shock, thank you for sharing what happened to you. It sounds like you have a very strong higher power and Oscar is very lucky to have you for his human!

Jeni, WeHav, Bloss, FP, Jane, Lee, Kitty, Dee and everyone else, I hope you're all doing well

AFM: doing ok. I found out this morning that I need to have surgery in about a month to resolve the abdominal pain I've been having. That will be a relief but I'll be happier when that's over with. One other little item -- for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery I will be on a very restricted diet with only specific foods allowed so that will certainly keep me away from all temptation, lol!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't been here for a day or two - internet trouble... thanks for your PMs

it's still spotty, so if I disappear again there's no cause for alarm - I'm well

D
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Shock that is quite the history. Thank you for sharing that with us. I'm glad that you were lucky enough to make it out and that you're here. Grats on 11 months!
Saskia good luck with the surgery!
Dee sorry to hear you have been having Internet issues. I actually went in search of you today and noticed you had your 6 year anniversary on Saturday? Grats to you!!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks OLL

The issues couldn't be helped - workmen cut a cable...LOL
D
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

hi everyone!

rock, nice messages on meditation. I've been doing a guided meditation off and on for the last year or so. j and I often play it before sleep. let's see if I can link it... Self-Realization Fellowship
I go to "learn to meditate," then "guided meditations." the peace one is my fave, i'm a little hippie at heart. but it's also helpful when considering personal peace.

rock and fp, hope i'm not behind on monthiversary kudos! either I read your signatures wrong, live in a time warp (wouldn't discount that :-) or they are coming soon.

things are decent here still, not much to report. been a couple of long days. a bit of good news: j got a kayak too!! she had saved her birthday money from a year ago, and a couple of us kicked in more money for her day this year and now she is the proud owner of a very nice boat. now we have hers and hers blue kayaks! :-)

have a good night, may mates. will post shoutouts soon, when things slow down a little. take care, wehav
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Morning everyone xxx

Dee-they cut your Internet cable??!! Don't they realise how important you are?? I mean, they wouldn't do it to NASA would they??? Crikey....that's unbelievable! Glad you're back and pleased it was an easily remedied problem. I was concerned for you xxx

OLL-I'm sorry that your work situation still causes you angst. This woman obviously has issues. Hold your head up high and try to feel a bit sorry for her. I mean, she is always going to find real friendships and relationships with others a big deal, and she is the one lacking, not you xxx

Shock-thankyou for sharing your story, and I'm really sorry you reached that point that there seemed no other way forward at that time. It serves us all well to remember that even in our darkest hours, there is ALWAYS a better way. Look at you now, moving on with your life, building a new one, learning how to deal with life. I'm so pleased you found our little group. We will look forward to celebrating your year with you on May 4th xxx

HRB-thankyou so much for sharing your meditation techniques, and for that beautiful and highly personal photo. I see real growth happening with you. Your path to peace is there for you and you've got the strength and courage to be following it. You are inspirational to me xxx

Sassy-I'm sorry you're having to face surgery. I'm hopeful though that it will bring you some relief from the pain that is in your life now, and you too will find some peace. Hang in there my friend xxx

Wehav-matching kayaks?? Wow. I did laugh at the hers and hers reference! You write with such warmth and wit I feel like I'm in the same room. Doing well on the sober front too! You're awesome, and I'm proud of you xxx

I'm ok. Head and emotions all over the place a bit. Either extreme highs or tears, but all to be expected given the therapy and the re-hashing of terrors. I feel a lot of growth happening within me too. I'm finally beginning to open up to trusted people around me, mainly in AA. So the 'me' that feels comfortable here on SR is taking a bit of a gamble by showing herself to others in my life. It's scary but necessary because I just can't pretend to be someone I'm not any more.

Not sure that really makes sense, but I know what I mean!!

Have a good day everyone.

You all mean so much to me xxxx
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

A cut Internet cable! In this day and age I woulda thunk that'd be a hanging offense,lol!

WeHav, thanks for the link. I want to do more meditation, partly to learn to calm my mind without anti-anxiety meds and partly for personal growth. I love the blue hers and hers kayaks. May you both have many good times using them!

OLL, I like Jeni's comment about your co-worker. People who behave like that often seem to have many problems of their own.

Jeni, you have been showing much growth for a good while. The results of that continuing growth are now, like spring, starting to blossom. Growth doesn't really stop after this - although it does take healing pauses. I suspect that we can only take a certain amount of change/growth and then need some time to integrate the changes. What I'm trying to say is that I hope you won't feel disappointed if you find yourself having some quiter spells. You've made enormous strides since you started.

I think that all of us have been making many changes both large and small. This is a time where I think we are all catching up on growth we missed while drinking. I tend to focus on Jeni's growth because our histories have major similarities but I also want to make sure that you all know how much I admire you for the enormous growth and changes I see in all of your posts.

Shock, getting out of an abusive relationship sounds like it should be obvious and easy but I know it isn't. It took me 15 years to finally end mine.

Bloss, where are you?

Rock, have a safe and not too tiring 3 long work days and we'll look forward to hearing from you when you have a chance.

Everyone, have a great day!

Lots of love and (((hugs)))
Sassy
Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was a nice break from my usual life actually - looks like I'm not addicted to the internet anymore lol

D
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Sassy-I'm not sure my finances can take many more periods of 'processing'....every time I have a painful therapy session, I go out and buy something...last week it was a holiday to Greece....God knows what it will be this week....

When something hurts, I still try and 'fix it'. Not with drink though thankfully!

Hmm...perhaps I just need to learn its ok to feel...

Thanks for your kind words my friend x x

Just waiting for my darling daughter to phone me to go and pick her up from town. She's running on 'teenager time'. It bears no relation to any time zone I know. Still smiling though am contemplating murdering her at some point. That isn't very mature I know!!

Dee- you're not addicted to the Internet? Is that even possible?!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Wow, Jeni! Not sure how you could top a trip to Greece!

Yeah, learning to just "sit with" feelings isn't easy but does save money, lol!

S
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good Wednesday afternoon, my cherished May mates! I've been out of commission at home for the past couple of days suffering through the lingering effects of a massive bout with food poisoning, good lawd! Nearly turned myself inside-out getting sick for hours. I hate feeling so weak. Haven't felt this crappy since recovering from the surgery/intestinal infection/flu combo back in October. Feeling a bit better today, thank goodness, and managed to add a little yogurt and toast to my involuntary Gatorade-only diet.

A huge congratulations to both Bionic Lee on your true 6 months today, and to Shock on your terrific 11+ months!

I'll check in with everyone again when I'm feeling back on top of my game. Stay strong on your sober paths, my friends. Love and hugs to all.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

FP I hope you're feeling back to normal soon! Thanks for the check in!
Wehav how exciting that you both have kayaks now! Just in time for summer too.
Jeni I am totally in reward/positive reinforcement mode still. It's mostly with sweets and teas. But that camera sure didn't slide through my budget easily. Haha.
Not much to report on my end. Just plugging through another workday. Can't wait for the weekend. Although not as warm as yesterday, it is sunny so I'm glad about that. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon All,

I had a good day yesterday. I actually managed to drive myself to an AA meeting. Any date I can get to an AA meeting is a good day! The topic was "one day at a time" or living in the moment. It was a good meeting. Living in the moment still isn't easy for me. There is a wonderful saying that resonated with me and that I put on my collage: "Sorrow looks back, worry looks ahead; faith looks up". I just feel better reading that.

OLL- I too am very much in the reward-mechanism mode! Particulary because I have a lot of days where I just don't feel good. Like you I tend to reach for the sweets. It gives me the sugar rush that I feel I need for my chronic fatigue and let's face it - it tastes good. Last week I splurged on some beauty products. I think we deserve every treat we can get

Jeni - I am so glad that you ordered a trip to Greece. I have always wanted to go there. They say they have the most beautiful beaches. Don't feel guilty at all about it - you deserve something wonderful for all of the hardwork and dedication you have put towards changing your life. Think of it as your one year anniversary gift to yourself.

Wehave- Thank you so much for providing your guided meditation link. How very thoughtful of you to do so. Glad to hear that you and your partner have matching kayaks. Kayacking sounds like such fun!

FP - Please take care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon.

Shock - Your story and sharing your strength, experience and hope was awesome. It really helped me. I am so glad that you are in a better place now.

Sas - I hope you get an opportunity to enjoy some sunshine today. It is quite sunny today and the temperatures are supposed to hit 90 degrees. Actually, a little too hot for my taste.

Dee - So happy to have your calming and joyful presence back.

Wishing everyone a good day!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Tanja I'm do glad you had a good day yesterday. Hoping for you to have many more. I love the saying you quoted. I'm only now beginning to realize what a worrier I am and how very not in the present worrying can be. One of my therapy assignments is to spend 5 minutes every day sitting with my eyes closed saying to myself "in" as I breathe in and "out" as I breathe out. It will become really the only 5 minutes I am in the present moment all day. And hopefully I can increase it in amount and frequency as time goes on. It gives me a little thinking/worrying break. Anyways, glad to hear from you
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

OLL - Thank you for your post. That really lifted my spirits. Last night was pretty rough. I woke up two times covered in sweat and finally around 3:00. The dogs tried to get me up at 4:00, but I just laid there. Despite a nap and getting on the treadmill, felt headacy and overly tired. I decided it probably wouldn't be the best idea to try and drive to an AA meeting. I got frustrated and ate two candy bars. I know what you mean about being a worrier. I am a major worrier too. It is not a pleasant way to live. Instead of worrying about not getting to the meeting, I am going to do some step work. I hope you have a wonderful evening
Old 04-10-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Tanya, have you been to your docs yet and had your blood tests done?

I'm a bit concerned about how long this has been going on for you xxxx
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Hello Mayans!

FP, so sorry to hear you had food poisoning!!! What a total bummer. I hope you continue to improve quickly. Love the avatar with the gold tusks :-) Reminds me of a certain awesome pink Lambo I have on loan

OLL, just two more days of work until the weekend. I hope it's not too unbearable. Is that person always difficult? How is your camera hobby coming along? Glad that meditation exercise is giving you a break from worrying. We all need space like that and it can be so hard to stop worrying.

Tanja, it may have been warm today in Virginia but up here in the north woods it was drizzly and chilly (more like 50 degrees rather than 90). I like that saying your heard at your AA meeting yesterday and put in your collage! Sorry to hear you had a bad night and difficult day today! Step work sounds like a good way to get your mind into a different groove. I agree with Jeni's concern about how you are feeling.

Jeni, hope your week is going well. Is work settling down a bit now that you've been in your position for a while?

WeHav, it sounds like you're keeping plenty busy! I hope you and partner will have a great time with those kayaks. I love being on the water - it can be so peaceful and for me, kayaks especially make me feel very close to mother earth since it feels like I am "in" the water rather than on top of it. So soothing :-)

Rock, buddy, I hope work isn't too stressful. Your work is rarely quiet so I doubt you have a chance to get bored -- crazy perhaps, but not dull. Oh and I meant to thank you for sharing the photo of your Buddha statue, complete with what I can only assume is an orchid?

Shock, how is Oscar doing? I suspect you will have your hands full for a bit with getting him settled down but I have seen animals that weren't well treated do amazingly well with a lot of love, firm boundaries and intelligent training.

Aviva, I see your TY tags so know you are reading. I hope you'll post some more when you feel like it. It's really nice to see our group expanding a bit again.

Bloss, I see you are around some of the time. I hope you are doing well. Any progress with your other son? Family fractures can be so slow to heal - it happens so often but is, imho, very sad.

Dee, what can I say? That's an amazing tale of internet wires being cut -- all to get a little rest from us, lol! Seriously, you deserve so many thanks for all you do for us!

For anyone of our other members out there still reading, I hope you're all doing well!

lots of love and (((hugs)))
Sassy

Last edited by Dee74; 04-10-2013 at 10:10 PM.