Involuntary commitment...trying to save my son's life

Old 06-15-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Involuntary commitment...trying to save my son's life

I am a mom of 3 sons, the oldest of whom is very very sick. He was recently diagnosed as bipolar 2 (my mom also has this, as did her dad), major depressive disorder, alcohol addiction and substance addiction. They have not ruled out borderline personality, although there was not enough criteria to diagnose it at present. It appears that some of those characteristics may have been developed as coping mechanisms that could resolve if we can ever get him sober and medicated.
To say that we have been through hell with him is an understatement, and something I know so many of you can relate to. I have known there was something different about him since he was 2.5 to 3 years old. His impulsivity has been a destructive personality trait since before he can even remember. He grew up in a happy, christian, two parent household that has managed to stay intact despite the incredible stress he has subjected us to...and by the grace of God.
He began drinking at 15 years of age, and immediately began rebelling against rules within the house (not at school...ever...received citizenship awards more than once). By the age of 16, he routinely ignored curfew rules, would disappear for 2-3 days at the time, stole from us (parents and brothers) and friends, lied compulsively and for no reason about anything and everything. At 17, we sent him to a nearby military boarding school for his senior year because we simply couldn't provide the rules and structure in a normal household that he needed. He begged not to go, but years later, has told me how he *missed* it because he felt safe there...safe from himself and his impulsivity and his bad decisions/destructive behavior. He only got in trouble one time his senior year, and it was very minor. He was on honor roll the whole time.
He tried college in another state near a family member (trying to get him away from local dope smokers he had fallen in with), which ended up being a bad decision. He progressed further into alcohol and drug use. He ultimately ended up coming home, having to sneak away before dawn one morning because he literally feared for his life. He had apparently stolen the billfold of a "friend" with several hundred $, had a knife held to his throat the night before his departure and told he would be hurt I believe the next day if he didn't give it back. So he ran home to us.
He came home on the condition that he join the military (which he also felt was the best choice for him), to find that structure and discipline that he had had so much success with his senior year. The Navy kicked him out after 2 years, 2 DUIs, another couple of alcohol related incidents, a failed rehab and finally going on unauthorized absence. By this point he was not only drinking heavily, he had discovered spice and was addicted. The Navy psych doctors wanted further treatment for him, but his command on his ship was exhausted and ignored medical recommendations and discharged him...not dishonorable, but "less than honorable".
He came home a year ago on a greyhound bus with a ticket I bought because he was penniless when discharged. And in debt. He almost didn't make the bus because he got so drunk with the money I wired him to get home, he passed out. Apparently the guy he stayed with that night was so angry with him for his drunken behavior, that *he* set *his* alarm, called the cab, and got my son taken to the bus station because he wanted him gone. He had no phone to communicate with on his way home because he had wet himself the previous night when passed out and ruined his phone.
When he came home, despite how low and desperate his situation had been, he immediately resumed stealing, lying, drinking and smoking pot. My husband took him to a hospital that treats only mental health and addiction. The stupid addictionologist interviewed my son and told him there was nothing wrong with him, he just "needed to grow up". Within 2-3 weeks, my husband had arranged for him to have a pipeline job in another state with people he had known all his life. We flew him out to the job with sufficient money to get started and told him this was it.
It didn't take long for him to discover cocaine and crystal meth in his new location. He also quickly found a girlfriend out there who I believe *does* love him, but is codependant and an enabler (not that I haven't been guilty of that, too, in my ignorance) As you can imagine, it has been a continued downward spiral. He lost the pipeline job due to his erratic behavior and failure to show up for work after about 6 months. He got another job shortly thereafter, but was laid off after a couple of months. He has seen several different doctors while out there, but will never follow through with anything. One of the people he saw out there ultimately diagnosed him with the things I mentioned at the beginning. As the daughter of a bipolar (but stable) mom and a RN, I do feel like the findings are accurate. Another key thing he does when in intense moments of stress and anxiety is bite himself. He began this as a teenager, and has had several episodes of it recently due to fighting with his girlfriend over his behavior.
Most recently, we gave him some money to use to pay some bills and meet his deductible so that he could enter a rehab. Then his girlfriend went out of town for 2 wks of work, and he proceeded to spend all of that money on hotel rooms and drugs (I could trace his activity through looking at his phone account online and checking his email, all things he's given me the access to in the past, but doesn't seem to realize I retained the login info). During that most recent drug binge (about 2-3 wks ago), he used meth and corresponded with strangers through craigslist to arrange sexual encounters, which scared me to death for his life. (I did not tell his girlfriend about this). I spoke with the manager of the hotel he was staying at and learned that they had to insist they come in to clean his room, and found him sleeping in a bed with his own vomit.
Another argument, threatened suicide and a night in jail due to the girlfriend calling the authorities, we now find ourselves with him on a greyhound bus headed back to us as I type. I have cried and cried and prayed even more, not just in the last few weeks, but for years, wondering what to do to help my son. My son is willingly on his way home to go in to rehab. But what we know is that if he goes in voluntarily, he can also check himself out. And based on his history, the likelihood of that happening is high. So on this Father's Day, my husband is picking my son up at the bus station and taking him to our local authorities to be involuntarily committed. It is the only way we know to ensure that he WILL get sober and WILL get evaluation and medication for the mental instability. After that, our plan is to get him in to a longer term residential program where his brain and body can have time to heal and he can learn new ways to live and cope and function. I am scared to death that he will be angry when he realizes what is happening this evening...that he will feel it is punishment, when it is not. I want my son to LIVE. I want him to survive himself...his own worst enemy. And I don't know how else to do it.
Sorry for the length of this...but I wanted to explain why we are where we are. Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated....both from family and from addicts or former addicts.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My heart and prayers go out for you. May this have success, and may your son understand and want the help. I would imagine that somewhere in his heart, he knows he needs help.

Bless your hearts. You must be tired. It is so hard when there are possible mental issues that must be treated as well as the drug use.

I wonder if you have had any help for yourselves, as well? As in Nar-anon, al-anon, or counselling of some sort?
I am glad you found SR... there are some fantastic people who have been through similar things.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry maem....I know of the exhausting, heartache, and worry that you are going through. I am a mom to (2) young adult substance abusers. Both with different mental health conditions.

What does your son want?

Involuntary treatment will work in the temporary but more-than-likely they won't keep him long.

There are many great books out there for parents like us. "Setting Boundaries with your Adult Children" by Allison Bottke. "Codependent no More" by Melony Beattie.

As an adult, even with a dual diagnosis, he still HAS to do it on his own.

What boundaries do you have set in place for you? What are willing to accept.

It's the most difficult thing to want to save their life when they don't value it themselves. Both of my kids have been there. I have HAD to "let go and let God." AFterall, I could do nothing else.

Keep coming back here for support. There are many, to many, of us.

Welcome!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you chicory and Txhelp, for your kind words of support. Chicory, I have thought about finding a support group for myself. Despite my family genetics, I have always been a remarkably stable person...not moody in the least, never had to take an antidepressant, and only infrequently an antianxiety med a few times (as in one pill, a few times) per year, when whatever was going on with my son was so overwhelming that I felt the physical manifestations of a racing heart, crying and shaking. And the half a xanax would calm me down. But this last month has about done me in. I have cried so much, I do think I am at a point I need to talk to someone. I just haven't decided the exact route I am going to go. First and foremost, I have to make sure my son is squared away...secure and safe from himself. And that should happen before I go to bed tonight.
Txhelp, my son does want help. He really does want to get better and live a happy and *calm* life. But due to his mood swings, he is never able to sustain that train of thought for longer than a few days on his own. Then he either becomes hypomanic or depressed, and he seeks drugs with each of those moods, and engages in extremely risky behavior that puts his life in danger. The therapist that diagnosed him has worked in his state's prison system for over 15 years. He told me that my son was one of the most self-destructive persons he had worked with. That speaks volumes to me. He also expressed to be that his biggest concern was not the bipolar, but my son's addictions. I believe he uses alcohol and drugs because of an organic chemical imbalance in his brain. I believe his best chance a resisting alcohol and drugs is to restore that balance through medicine. But I know from years and years of history with him, he can't sustain rehab voluntarily. His own biology works against him. I don't know of any other way to help him get a clear, balanced mind to think with than to take it out of his hands at this point. If he is ultimately unable to sustain a healthy lifestyle, at least I will know for a brief time, he could think clearly enough to choose. My boundaries are that he cannot stay at our house when he is an unstable, active alcohol and substance abuser. He is not welcome in our home to disrupt it any further. He knows I love him. I have told him there is nothing in this world that he can do that can ever make me not love him. I can't stop my heart from breaking. But I CAN keep his chaos out of my home, as long as he chooses chaos.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maem,
You know your son, and your situation, and are the only one who can or should decide what to do. It sounds like you have had a good bit of advice, from professionals. and have been doing a lot to help him.
Sometimes we need a lot of help.

If just throwing them out would fix all problems, there would not be many homeless. Mental illnesses make it a whole 'nother ball game.

Keep us posted, and know that we care. We are here for you.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Welcome to the Board.

This is horrific. It's bad enough that he's Bipolar 2...but Borderline on top of that?

If, and this is a big if, your son chooses a path to recovery, it will hinge on three things:

1) finding a successful combination of meds to effectively treat his Bipolar
2) staying on those meds (which is always a challenge for someone with Bipolar)
3) finding and commiting to a therapist that specializes in CBT or DBT to deal with the cognitive mayhem that's going on in his head. Because that's what BPD is: cognitive mayhem.

I am so sorry that you and your family have to deal with this. But on the plus side, you know what it is you're up against.

So, I have no advice. Just empathy and support. I'll be thinking of your family and your son this evening.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I just want to send hugs from my heart to yours.

This mama knows your pain.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, my update is not what I'd have dreamed, and it's not good. My husband picked him up from the bus station. I was not aware of his intent to explain to my son what we had planned for him. I had envisioned him getting him to the sheriff over an hour away and handling it upon my arrival. My son is highly excitable and impulsive. You can't give him too much info at the wrong time. It overwhelms him. In his panic, he asked to call his girlfriend back in Texas. My husband agreed to let him for some reason. She, in classic codependant fashion, raised the alarm even further telling my son he had been ambushed, not to follow through, don't allow this, don't cooperate, etc. She said if my husband would get him back to the bus station, she would buy another ticket. They were only 20 minutes down the road. My husband said at that point, he knew my son was not ready for help (in my husband's opinion), and he wasn't going to argue with him or the girlfriend. So he took him back to the station. He said they parted peacefully with a long hug. And he left him there. My son called me within a few minutes and chastised me for the "ambush". I couldn't talk reason to him. He wouldn't listen. He said he was going back to her (who I reminded him had just had him arrested 2 nights ago). When my husband got home, my son called again. He said she was now flying him back tonight. I feel like we missed our chance. And for my sanity, I feel like I must separate from my son until he finds a way to get on a different, better, healthier path. I wrote him a private message on FB to tell him this, and that I love him no matter what. And never forget that God is always there and only need be called on. I feel as if I've lost my son. But I must save myself....and must be here for my two healthy sons.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
And for my sanity, I feel like I must separate from my son until he finds a way to get on a different, better, healthier path. I wrote him a private message on FB to tell him this, and that I love him no matter what. And never forget that God is always there and only need be called on. I feel as if I've lost my son. But I must save myself....and must be here for my two healthy sons.
You're right. Though knowing you're right doesn't make it any easier.

Keep us posted as to how you're doing as this unfolds.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello, i am so sorry fot what brings you here, but glad your here. BP2 is rapid cycle as you well know. There may be a day he takes control of his own disease, he may not. You must turn him over to God as it sounds as though you have done all you can. Your right in that you must detatch with love so you dont lose yourself in his disease. I send you huge hugs and many best wishes. I hope you keep coming back, we are here for you.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So sorry you are going through this. I'll be praying for you and your family today.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My son is back in Texas with the girlfriend. As I have said, I am feeling the need to distance myself for self preservation. He is messaging me privately on Facebook, and I am torn with whether to allow that mode of communication to continue or not. There is always that fear in the back of my mind that I might cause further deterioration to his already fragile psyche by completely withdrawing from him. His most recent messages are apologies for his angry words and expressing his love for us. He says he has an appt with the psychiatrist today. I slept on whether or not to respond. This morning I simply told him I hoped he went, I hoped he was honest, I hope the psychiatrist was helpful, and I hoped he followed through with whatever was recommended...and that he was loved and prayed for by many. Am I wrong to continue to communicate? I just don't know. I need peace for myself and my husband and my other two sons. I need my emotions to be in a good place, and I need to enjoy life. But I harbor the fear that I will somehow harm my oldest if I disappear from his life completely...only because of his psychological issues, not because of the addiction. If it were only addiction, I feel it would be an easier move for me to make. But he was born with this mind he has, and i feel the maternal pull to help because of that....
Thank you so much for all the thoughts and prayers. I pray for all of us dealing with these issues in our families.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maem View Post

my husband is picking my son up at the bus station and taking him to our local authorities to be involuntarily committed. It is the only way we know to ensure that he WILL get sober and WILL get evaluation and medication for the mental instability.
It would be my wish that this would be the commitment that will stick for your Son. For many it takes several of these before taking hold. And then for some unfortunate ones it never takes hold.

Prayers sent out from up top the mountain -- 5:40 AM Tue
Mountainman

I do apologize, after reading back in the thread I see where your son bailed out. About all we can do is pray for him. I know what you are going through. This being a parent thing can be all so stressful at times.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Maem I am so very sorry for all you are dealing with. I know the heart ache of having a child addicted. I don't think any of us can tell you what to do regarding your son. It sounds like you have awareness on how his behavior can affect you but you also know when you need to back off so maybe play it by ear for now? I will pray the psychiatrist visit is a huge step in the right direction. It's too bad the plan went astray but maybe he will commit down the road to a rehab. I found the toughest part of this was realizing I couldn't control my son's behavior or choices. It is very hard as a parent to sit back and watch. You have my prayers for a good outcome. Please continue to come back and post. This is the greatest bunch of people you will ever meet.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't think your wrong to communicate and to encourage. There is a difference between encouragement and enabling. He has to come to terms with his diseases himself and get the help he needs on his own terms. You still love him, you just cannot lose yourself in him. That's the right things to do, you are obviously a loving and good momma.

I would say that you do what makes you comfortable. Be honest with him no matter what.

Tight Hugs. My heart hurts for you.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I feel like I have nothing to offer, in the way of advice, I don't have kids of my own. Praying for peace for you and your family. I cannot imagine your pain. I just can't. Blessings.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a positive update...my son did go to the psychiatrist today. The psychiatrist (who he had seen before and had given him a 2 wk supply of Saphris) told him that because he has now been sober for 7 days, he wasn't a candidate for *inpatient* rehab, but definitely needed to immediately begin outpatient rehab. He gave him another 2 wk supply of Saphris (which was very helpful before but he willingly quit taking because he wanted to do drugs instead), had him make a f/u appt for 2 wks and told him that if he relapsed, he needed to get himself to an inpatient facility ASAP. His girlfriend left for work again yesterday...another 2 wks she's gone. Apparently her mother and stepfather have agreed to stay with my son in her home these two weeks because he admitted his drug dependence to them and being alone makes it very very hard for him to stay sober> I surely pray this is successful for him. Thus far, today has been a success. But for him, it is not just day to day...it is hour to hour. Thank you so very much for the continued support!!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There is such strength in your posts, your doing all the right things. I will be praying for you and your family.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am glad that today you had positive news. Guess we just take it a day at a time with them.

I think it is good to know we are loved. unconditionally. we may not always be around each other, due to behaviors on their part. but we do not have to stop loving them ever.

You have to do what you can live with,I believe. I will never not tell my son I love him, no matter what he does.

I will be praying for him, for you and your family.