Why am I doing this?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Why am I doing this?

Last night my husband and I had an little argument. It wasn't a big deal. This morning, he tired to apologize and make up and I was not receptive.

He just called me to tell me again he was sorry. He had just met with his sponsor after his meeting. He was very emotional and shared he was struggling with dealing with his feelings and all his guilt.

I told him that I would try to understand his recovery but I would not allow him to interfere with mine. He was humble, upset and very apologetic.

Here is the sick part....I enjoyed it. I liked hearing him grovel for MY forgiveness and I really don't understand why.

I thought I had processed through my anger. I truly believed I could forgive him as long as he got clean and worked on his recovery.

He has been really easy to deal with during the last 21 days of being clean and working on his recovery. I think the hard part I read about is coming. So why would I make it harder on him?

I prayed and prayed for him to get clean and now I am making him pay for it? What is wrong with me?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Nothing is wrong with you. Twenty-one days of sobriety doesn't begin to make up for how ever many years of chaos and insanity came before.

You both need to understand it is going to take time. You didn't get to where you are in 3 weeks, so it is ridiculous to think that 3 weeks is going to make everything better.

You are entitled to your feelings and you should allow yourself to feel them. He needs to know that, and he also needs to know that just because he may be doing the right thing right now, that doesn't mean that the past is erased.

Cut yourself some slack. If he continues on a path of recovery, things will get easier, but it certainly isn't going to happen in a few weeks or even a few months.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

True...I should have said things may get easier. But the main gist of my post is that it is going to take time.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Maybe, maybe not. She doesn't know him sober and even though she loves him...she may not like him.
I may not know who he will become and that is a scary thought. But he was not an addict when I met and married him and I liked and loved that man.

He looked so broken tonight and I really wanted to comfort him. But I think my need to comfort him was based on pity and I will not do anything from fear, obligation, guilt or pity.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is my thought, is it possible that you are trying to control him, his feelings, his repsonses toward you? whatever you argued about, was it really up to him to make the sole apology, or do you feel like he owes it to you now to bend to your will? And that is why you enjoyed it?

Im not saying this is the case, but it is something to question of yourself maybe.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
This is my thought, is it possible that you are trying to control him, his feelings, his repsonses toward you? whatever you argued about, was it really up to him to make the sole apology, or do you feel like he owes it to you now to bend to your will? And that is why you enjoyed it?

Im not saying this is the case, but it is something to question of yourself maybe.
Things have been going so well. Last night's argument wasn't a big deal but it triggered something in me. And today my anger came to the surface again. And no, he was not solely responsible for it. In fact, it was more me then him. Maybe I am coming out of the "pink cloud."

Or maybe I just want step 8 now.

Step 8 - Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

Or maybe I just have a bad case of raging PMS. I had an argument with my daughter too and we hardly ever argue.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ive heard the term "pink cloud" referenced before, but what does it mean?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
Ive heard the term "pink cloud" referenced before, but what does it mean?
I read about it here because I had no idea either, lol.

Surviving the Pink Cloud in Recovery
Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I never understood why so many people continued to relapse time after time. Everything about addiction is beyond evil.

I fully understand now why it's a life long battle, that takes commitment and hard work. One slip and it can be over.

My husband talks about a lot about people who have years clean, start taking their recovery for granted and then they relapse. And the cycle starts all over again.

Translation - work harder on me, work harder on me, work harder on me.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Perhaps you are a wee too involved in his recovery. He will get to step 8 on his own time, your wants have nothing to do with his path of recovery.

Are you back living together, or does he just come over morning, noon and night?

IMO recovery is a singular project, and, attempting to get wrapped up in anothers recovery will only set the codie back, we codies want to control and forget that we can only control ourselves,and not others.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Dollydo,

I am not involving myself in his recovery. I don't even understand his recovery and he doesn't understand mine and he doesn't need to. In fact, the couple times I have slipped over the 3 weeks, he has quick to remind me to stay on my side of the street. (may be a NA saying, I don't know).

If someone from NA gives him advice, he takes it to heart....I could have had the same thing and it would have fallen on deaf ears. He respects his sponsor and his support group of 3 guys. I leave it alone. I know the names but have not met any of them, although I have been invited to meet them in a social setting. I have not met any of them because I have my own recovery to work on and I am just not ready to meet his "people" yet. He asked me to go to a NA picnic too, I declined. My therapist told me "it was ok to supportive" and I explained I am not ready for that. I jokingly posted I can only handle "ONE ADDICT AT A TIME" but there is so much truth in that statement. Again, I am not judging anyone...I just have the NEED to protect MY sanity right now and I know that would cause me anxiety and I am not willing to do it...not right now anyway.

I did share a few of the SR's posts with him. I shared what JJ's family was gong through. It was so heartbreaking. He and I know and adored a young man nick named JJ, a now recovery addict and I told him about what was happening with the JJ one SR. He later asked me nicely "not to share anything about drugs with him." I said OK, no questioned asked. But I was little confused about it and and reached out to someone on SR who could explain. I "assumed" there was plenty of talk about drugs at NA meetings. I was wrong. She explained NA's philosophy to me, I respect her advice, and have respected his wishes from the day he asked. Staying out of his recovery isn't always easy because I don't understand it, I didn't understand what could be a trigger to him. I am not involved but I don't want to hurt it either. I was told his brain is minefield....do not talk about drugs at all. I do think an open NA meeting would be helpful, and sometime in the future I will attend one.

He is here morning, afternoon and night. He works from here (home office), we have dinner together and just because he is working his recovery, IMO, he still has responsibilities around here too! He has rented a small place but is really never there. Waste of money, NO!! It gives ME a piece of mind and no amount of money could by that.

I said I wanted step 8, somewhat in jest because I enjoyed his "groveling" which made me feel kind of sadistic. I know he is working the steps with his sponsor and I have no idea what step he is on now. I do know that I haven't finished step 1 though.

Hands of the addict! Great statement and I respect it!!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
I may not know who he will become and that is a scary thought. But he was not an addict when I met and married him and I liked and loved that man.
He will never be that man again. Addiction forever changes us addicts. I am not the person I was prior to active addiction, and I am grateful for that.

I have spent many years now discovering who I am and working a program of recovery.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
why doesn't he move his home office to his place...that would give you both some much needed space,IMHO. the whole idea of separation is to be, well, separate.
Truth? Because I am still a codependent person and working on that. I want his help around here. I want more freedom to come and go and not have to worry about the dogs being left home alone too long. I enjoy his company. He is actually very funny. I like him in my bed every night. I am also enjoying his efforts to make it up to me and try to regain my trust. I could go on and on but I KNOW you already know the answer to that question, lol.

As long as I am still working MY recovery and staying out of his and vice versa....and we are getting along, enjoying each others company and being productive... I don't see the need to be separated. Why do you? What am I missing?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Freedom,

Congratulations and that's awesome.

I too hope that I will be forever changed from my "codieness."

Can 2 unhealthy people become healthy and still love and like (I think there is a difference) each other. It's possible. Is it probable? I don't know. I can't predict our future...I am just living one day at a time.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Maybe, maybe not. She doesn't know him sober and even though she loves him...she may not like him.
Boy isn't that the truth, I did not like my now AXH sober, and I don't think he liked me either, that is why the divorce was innevitable.

Good luck to you LMN, hope all works out for the best.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

He will never be that man again. Addiction forever changes us addicts. I am not the person I was prior to active addiction, and I am grateful for that.
Nor am I, and I wouldn't want to be. I was 12 1/2 years old. This was 1957. I was physically VERY mature. None of my classmates, let alone high school girls had matured that well yet (34DD) if you get my drift. My mother, in her 'wisdom' (?) decided that I should and could experiment at home and learn how to control and enjoy my drinking, so that some guy couldn't take me out, get me drunk and do what he wanted (no fear of drugs back then, especially in our 'upper class' neighborhood).

Little did she know. I can tell this, that I did learn at least for a while how to control and/or enjoy but NEVER at the same time, roflmao. I also learned very quickly that the alcohol made me feel like 'I fit in.' I was no longer an 'alien.' It was only years later in recovery that I discovered that I was 'self medicating' a Bi Polar disorder that has been with me my whole life. I also learned that YES, I did walk to a different drummer, always had and probably always would. The difference, for me, in recovery, was/is that it did not matter any more.

When I did find recovery at 3 weeks shy of my 36th birthday, I may have been 36 chronologically, however, mentally and emotionally I was like that 12 1/2 year old young girl with all the teenage emotions. Sheesh it was so hard.

Even though I was 'doing it', ie working, paying my bills, keeping my house clean, grocery shopping all the 'stuff' that adults do, I was just 'going through the motions.' It took until I was about 5 years or so into recovery that I actually started to 'feel' like I was an adult doing adult things. It was not a real pretty time in my sobriety. A lot of 'sensory' overload, a lot of 'hurdles' to overcome, including being married to another sober alcoholic.

He was not growing at all in his recovery and I sometimes felt like I was going backwards, with all the emotions. He chose to change his DOC and came up with a gambling addiction, which is actually what got me into Alanon.

This is why many times on here I have said that I believe that Alanon 'helped' me more than AA did. It was Alanon that helped me to get from that 12 1/2 year old young preteen girl to an adult woman in all facets of my life.

So (((((LMN))))) from my own experience, and from learning from others experiences, I can truthfully say that the man you knew is long gone. What he will turn out to be is anyone's guess, and who he will turn out to be is probably a ways into the future yet.

Also, please remember, that as you continue to work the steps and GROW and CHANGE in your own recovery, you will no longer be that person that you were. You too will be a 'different' you.

So, even though you are posting on here, I truly hope that you are keeping your own private journal and that you keep using it. It too will become an excellent tool as you continue this journey, to be able to open an earlier journal and read to see how far you have come. I used spiralled 3 ring binders. And on the front I put the dates 'from' and 'to'. I still journal to this day, just not every day anymore.

At 25 years sober, I had a big bonfire and burned the first 20 years of journals, except for the first year. I still go back and read it once in a while. I still have year one, and years 21 through the present. It may be time soon to have another bonfire, lol

I continue, I hope, to grow and change, as this is an ongoing journey until the day my ashes are put up on Dona Ana Mountain. Heck I have changed a lot, since I first found Sober Recovery. And I have changed a lot since I got my first home computer and found some 'online recovery sites'. Another one is where I first met our Carol D, long before Sober Recovery was even in existence.

So keep working you LMN and it will get better for you, whether you two stay together or not.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I have been to at least 10 meetings and well over 10 therapy sessions.

I wanted him to have his own place....as a back up plan. In case we needed space, in case he relapsed, in case I couldn't stand him while he goes through whatever addicts go through - while trying to recover. Also, I am going away for a few days so I wanted him here to take care of the dogs. It didn't start out him here every night but has come to that. His office in not in the actual house..it's attached. When I kicked him out, he only took what he needed at the time and it wasn't the best situation, productivity wise.

But I agree, I may be pinning too much hope about my future....on HIM. Crap!!!!!!!! Is that what you mean about being too involved in his recovery??

F@%! I hate addiction, I hate codependency. Even if divorced him or kicked him out today, my problems are far from solved. I still am me and that there lies the biggest problem.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...es-me-not.html
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

making him grovel is probably part of the dysfunctional roles in your relationship
the addict is often "beneath" the codependent..."inferior", the "sick one", the one that needs to ask for "forgiveness"

the deeper I go into recovery for codependency the less I even think about the need for an apology from someone ELSE. rather I keep seeking progress in my own spirit/life/heart/mind/consciousness.

wanting someone else to grovel is a flag

that is why space and time and more understanding in recovery is necessary
the biggest amends take alot of care, forethought and clearing away/sorting through wreckage to understand. if he apologizes due to the guilt of the groveling too soon he may end up "owning" what isn't his...there are two sides to the street here!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
Last night my husband and I had an little argument. It wasn't a big deal. This morning, he tired to apologize and make up and I was not receptive.

He just called me to tell me again he was sorry. He had just met with his sponsor after his meeting. He was very emotional and shared he was struggling with dealing with his feelings and all his guilt.

I told him that I would try to understand his recovery but I would not allow him to interfere with mine. He was humble, upset and very apologetic.

Here is the sick part....I enjoyed it. I liked hearing him grovel for MY forgiveness and I really don't understand why.

I thought I had processed through my anger. I truly believed I could forgive him as long as he got clean and worked on his recovery.

He has been really easy to deal with during the last 21 days of being clean and working on his recovery. I think the hard part I read about is coming. So why would I make it harder on him?

I prayed and prayed for him to get clean and now I am making him pay for it? What is wrong with me?
What is wrong with you is simple: you're human.

Anger is a funny, funny beast. We go through periods of time where we think we've got it under control, and then something tickles it a bit, wakes it up, and there it is again. And anger's OK, so long as it doesn't color your bevahior to the point where it's destructive. If you two just had a disagreement of little lasting consequence, I don't see the harm of just letting it go. Life's tough enough as it is without letting little things annoy us.

ZoSo