O/T I'm hurting

Old 03-21-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Amy, get a feeding syringe, or let her lick some baby food meat from your finger. four days is a long time not to eat, and she needs to before it affects her liver. cats cannot safely go without food for long, especially if they are 'chubby' cats. If she begins to look jaundiced, or does not eat soon, I would recommend getting her back to the vet right away.

I get the g erber 2nd year baby meats, with no spices.. most cats love the ham, or chicken.. get a jar of each. my cats would sometimes lick the food off of my finger before they would eat it from a plate..

tuna juice, deli oven roasted chicken or turkey, my cats love these. We just went through some rough stuff with two of mine not eating, due to a virus or bacterial infection.

please do not blame yourself.. cats are always getting them selves in trouble with their curious nature! My cat loves to go into the linen closet and sleep, so I have to watch it closely. my angel cat Tom used to get shut in there , too.

I use white vinegar to clean most things now.. I won't use cleaners on my floor, other than vinegar. And with Easter time approaching, keep the lilies away from your kitties.. they are toxic in any form to them.

If you can get her to eat, she will feel more like eating, you know?
hugs to you Amy..not your fault sweetie! take care.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Amy, I did not want to scare you, but hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) can develop quickly in cats.. and its expensive to treat..
food intake is the trick to getting cats through many things.. a wise vet once told me that if you can get a cat to eat and drink, you can get them through many life threatening things.

good luck sweetie. hope she is eating soon, her sore tongue probably is making her not want to eat. baby meats don't have much sodium at all.
hugs.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention, I had a cat that was taken from its mom too early I went to the pet store and got kitten milk and gruel.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm happy to say that she tried a little scrambled eggs, not much though, just hoping that since she got that down that she realizes she can eat and will go back for more.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. You are all so awesome

(((((((((hugs))))))))))))
amy
Old 03-21-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Amy, it was an accident. Don't beat yourself up. You are a kind and loving person. Everyone here knows it, your kitty knows it and she'll recover. Wonderful that she ate! Keep us posted on her progress.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Amy....

I'm so glad he did not ingest anything...that's good news!! It may take a day or two, but your precious furbaby should be OK. It doesn't sound like the vet seemed too concerned since your kitty was not kept for observation!

I can relate to the guilty feeling, though. My ex husband and I had a cat, and he would go on the "cat crazy" tears through the house in the evenings. He also liked to open the folding doors in front of the washer and dryer closet in the hallway by pulling it open with his paw from the space between the door and the floor.

Well, one friday evening, ex-hubby and I went to bed. We had both had a long week and slept probably a bit later than normal on Saturday morning. Kitty, kitty, kitty managed to go on one of his crazy tears that night after opening the folding doors. Apparently, during his romp, he jumped up on top of the dryer, slid across it, and ended up wedged upside-down between the side of the dryer and the wall.

I have no idea how many hours he was there overnight! I had to wake up my (now) ex and get him to help me move the dryer and release the poor thing from his unfortunate and likely uncomfortable position.

We learned after that to put child safety latches on that door (and a couple of others) to keep our little wild man from getting himself into too much trouble.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hugs Amy. I have accidentally shut my dog in closets and cubbards and she doesn't make any noise so she has been stuck for hours before. I felt so bad when it happened when there were fireworks because she was traumatised from it. And frankly these days I am loving my pets more than I like a lot of peopke:-) But it was an accident and she was fine. I am so gladyour kitty didn't eat any of the cleaner. But it really wasn't your fault at all. Luckily you are a good kitty mamma and you noticed and cared to help her. I think your cats are pretty darn lucky to have you.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Amy,,, so happy that your baby ate some scrambled eggs! That is good news. I hope you did not think I was being alarmist.. but four days without food was a long time. I would never try to scare anyone, as I know how much those furbabies mean to you.

Her little tongue must be healing up! They sure can scare the heck out of us, can't they?

Hugs to you,, you are a good hu-mom!

chic
Old 03-21-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh Amy don't feel guilty! Your precious Fur Baby will be ok I'm sure of it. Is she eating something yet? The boiled chicken is a wonderful idea. And maybe some chopped hard boiled egg?
Old 03-21-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh yay just read she ate some scrambled egg!!
Old 03-21-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So glad to hear she ate the scrambled eggs.

My kitty (inherited from a teenage daughter who wanted him but then grew out of him - and who, in the impulsivity of teenagerhood (can't blame this one on her drug use although that happened too))--got his tail cut off as daughter closed the door and his tail didn't make it all the way through.

We got him into the car and instead of forcing him into a cat carrier (as he hated those and was uncomfortable in car)--just held him...he has hated vets ever since...but holds no grudge with family.

Daughter, however, still says (12 years later ) that 'he doesn't like her' and never liked him again.

I am very grateful for him and glad to say he is a very happy camper.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Misty is eating a little today. I put some no salt chicken broth in the water bowl, she has been drinking all day long. I also put some sardines in the blender and she is licking at that a little.

She is still very tired and sleeping a lot, but I think she is going to be OK.

Just really want to thank everyone for all the support, and your own stories, it made me so much more aware.

Misty is now sitting on one of the scratching boards just looking at me. I know that both of us felt all of your love. Thank you. Will give another update tomorrow.

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
amy
Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know she's on the mend. Give Misty an extra cuddle from me.

(((amy)))
Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Amy - Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but SO glad Misty is doing better.

I tried to treat the house for fleas, prior to treating the cats (I'd done a lot of research). It did not work out, I lost my dear Patches.

I was bawling, at the vet's office, that "I KILLED my baby!!!" She assured me that I did not. I was doing what I thought was best. I'm human.

Took me a while to accept that, but the same situation goes for you. We are human, we do the best we can do for ourselves and our furbabies. We aren't perfect.

I'm really glad that Misty is doing better. Give yourself a break, sweetie.

Love, hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-21-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad she's OK, amy. I remember the first week we had our (then) new kittens, my son called me at the office in a panic because one of them had stepped in his oil paints and licked her paw (as well as tracking red oil paint all over the house).

Cats can get into EVERYTHING. There is really no way to entirely kitty-proof a house. They come up with stunts you could never imagine.

You're remedying the situation so THAT particular drama won't be repeated, you've taken very good care of her, so let it go. Sounds like she's well on the mend.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Update on Misty --- she stopped eating again, guess she figured I was trying to trick her. Went out yesterday and got that food gel, also a syringe, and really soupy cat food. She is now responding to her name again, just came over to my couch to sit with me, she is also letting me clean her up from the drooling.

I was so afraid that she would start to be afraid of me, but I guess she can tell that I was trying to help.

Thank you all for being with me through this trying time.

(((((((((hugs)))))))))
amy

PS --- I have had cats most of my life. I was never aware of all the dangers for them. I will never be this careless again. Head counts will be done every night. I still have some painting to do in this house, they will not be around that at all. I have a door between the upstairs and downstairs (basement). I learned the hard way about dangers to cats, and I am so sorry that it had to involve Misty.

I have an appt with the vet this week. Will update, but I think she is going to be fine. Thank you again so much for caring.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Amy, I looked up the name of that high calorie nutrition supplement and it's called Nutri Cal. I am guessing that's what you got from the vet. It is amazing stuff and should get Misty enough nutrition and energy until her mouth heals so she can start eating. You are taking such good care of her. Your post has reminded me also to change the cleaning solution I use to wash my floors. Never really thought about the potential hazard before from my kitty walking on a wet floor. Thanks for the update!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Amy! FWIW, I'm a long time animal rescuer, vet assistant, vegan animal rights activist - and what happened was clearly an accident on the part of a human who loves her cat friends and would never in a million years intentionally do anything to put them in harm's way. Sh*t just HAPPENS sometimes - cats get into things! You're taking steps to make sure it won't happen again (natural cleaning agents which will help protect your animals AND the ones in the outside world from future harm!) So please, let yourself off the hook.

I have seen plenty of people bring poisoned, injured or neglected animals into a vet clinic, and you can tell the difference between people who really don't care, and people who do. You're clearly among the latter! (if there was a happy purring cat smiley i would put it here...)

(o/t - one green planet dot com is a website with lots of homemade cleaning recipes if anyone needs them, just use their search bar)
Old 03-22-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Amy, wonderful that you got some food into her today, with the syringe. that will help her to feel better, give her strength , and make her tummy feel better so she will want to eat again.
The baby food (gerbers 2nd years, plain meats, chicken , turkey, ham) might entice her. not many cats can resist them.

hugs to you and little Misty. I know its been scary for you, but you are taking good care of your girl
Old 03-22-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

On a day before we were headed to a big family vacation across the country, I gave our rescue collie ivermectin for heartworm, only to find out that ivermectin is terribly poisonous to collies. She was hospitalized for ten days while we were on vacation and miraculously lived. I was never so sick with shame and worry, but she is healthy as they come now. There is no animal that I love more than her. She is a survivor and so is your cat!! And so are we!