O/T I'm hurting

Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Yeah, with cats - food made for people is generally not a good idea.

They have a lot of food sensitivities and nutritional needs. For a while I was feeding my cats an all-raw diet and then I gave up - it was too complicated. Obligate carnivores are fascinating, but complex.

If she's eating, don't worry about KMR. It's really expensive and not necessary if she's eating. It's a good way to get a lot of calories in a small amount of intake. She's probably not pooping because she hasn't eaten enough to have any solid waste. When my cat eats not enough or even has one day off her food, it takes a few days to start up again.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

It sounds like she is coming around, Amy. Maybe you can let her go a bit and see if she will eat on her own. The cypro works, but you may notice her being a bit affected by it.

the baby meat 2nd year gerbers has no onion, or spices at all. that is why I suggested it specifically.Yes, it lacks taurine, but for an emergency, its ok for a short time. she might like it enough to eat it on her own, without syringing.

Hopefully Misty will begin to eat on her own. I would try to let her, if she seems interested. tuna, tuna water, and the gerber 2nd year baby meat (mine liked ham especially) might get her going... then you can get her back on her normal wet cat food.

I don't like to syringe feed unless they will not eat on their own. I had a cat with kidney disease, and syringe fed her for a few months. Also a cat with a tumor, and she liked to lick the baby meat from my fingers. When they won't eat much at all, you give them what they will eat.

The taurine is important, but temporarily , the baby meat or whatever she will eat, will not hurt her.yetShe might like if you cooked her some boiled chicken, and maybe the broth would appeal to her.

Onions are dangerous for cats... can cause anemia in them. at one time I belonged to several groups.. Assisted Feeding forum, Feline diabetes, Chronic Renal failure, Feline Cancer, and Feline IBD group. I learned a lot about cats and it has been helpful many times, since I always have multiple cats. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to enlighten a vet to something they did not know yet. you cannot possibly know everything about an animal unless you specialize and or continue your education on the many disorders they can have. and new meds. My vet now specialized in kidney disease, and she was always encouraging me to learn more.

One vet yelled at me to stop reading online. He nearly killed my cat, by taking two blood samples in same day, when she was dangerously anemic already. she nearly bottomed out and spent the next three days in the hospital. I changed vets. He just wasnt owner friendly!

It sounds good, with her interested in things around her... you are taking such good care of her. I promise, I would never suggest anything that I did not know was safe..I'd rather say nothing than say something harmful.

hugs to you!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Chicory, I know you wouldn't say anything harmful. I guess my biggest problem with Misty is that she has never ate wet food. All my other cats have. I think if she was eating wet food this would have been a lot easier.

When I got my kittens from the shelter they were only feeding Iams dry food. They told me not to change their diet. My sister dropped her 2 daughters cats at my house in Feb 2013. They were eating Purina dry food only. Tried feeding 4 cats at once, they all wanted the cheaper brand. I gave it to them.

Started putting out wet food for a treat. All the cats ate it but Misty. I think this is why I am having such a hard time trying to get her to eat anything.

I have learned so much and read so many things. I always thought wet food was not that good for cats, now I learn they get most of their water from wet food. My head has been like a computer this whole week trying to learn all this and remember all this, without much sleep.

I do know that taurine is very important. It's in the food gel that I give her. Have never researched yet what taurine actually is. Will do that.

Think Misty is hiding under the couch again, (sleeping), she was sitting next to me when I was on the other couch.

For all interested I will try to post a pic of Misty. I'm really bad at doing those things but will try tomorrow.

Just knowing all of the thoughts and prayers coming in made a big difference.

One other thing that I failed to mention in my original post. When I first took her to the vet, he told me that I got her there too late and I should be thinking about euthanizing her. I told him no. Asked what I could do, he told he I had to make sure she was drinking water, make her eat, and watch her.

I think I made the right decision. at least I hope I did.

Everyone's support has meant so much to me. and to Misty.

Thank you again

amy
Old 03-25-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

wow, Amy, that must have been very scary for you, that the vet told you that! Cats are very complicated, I think. I guess all creatures are, though.

I hope tomorrow brings you a very good day, with little Misty . would love to see a photo of her, when you are not so busy with her ... I hope you are getting some rest .

hugs to you!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
A work in progress

amy, the reason my one cat had to have surgery a couple weeks ago was a HUGE bladder stone, caused by eating dry food. There is prescription dry food (SO by Royal Caning--they make wet food too) and the vet put her on that. I fed both cats ONLY wet food for a couple of weeks, but the wet SO is so expensive I'm experimenting now (with vet's approval) with feeding them wet in the morning and then dry to nibble on. My other cat gains weight easily so I'm trying to hit the sweet spot so she doesn't overeat.

Anyway, mine didn't want to eat the wet food, so what I did was sprinkled a little dry in there to give them something familiar. They didn't eat much of the wet food for a few days, but within a week they were gobbling it down (I also had to switch to feeding them twice a day). Once Misty is all better, try it again, but let her get good and hungry. Try mixing it up at first and gradually reducing the dry. They eventually get accustomed to it.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Lexie, I was also thinking about that to try to get Misty on some wet food. I heard mixing it up for awhile perhaps 4 weeks might do it, I'm going to try this after she is better for at least 10 days.

All I ever knew was that cats should have dry food. Now I am reading all of these different thing. Wet food sounds so much better. It has 75% water, where as dry food is about 20%.

Wet food has more nutrition, more like they are use to eating. Could use bigger words here, like cats are carnivorous, just not sure if my spelling will still be OK since I only slept about 3 hours again last night.

I just am really grateful to all of you who went through this with me.

((((((((((hugs and thanks)))))))))))))
amy
Old 03-25-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Not to advertise or anything here, but what kind of wet food? That shredded 9 lives, or the fancy seafood dinners? I don't think I like the gravy thing in the 9 lives.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

There is a Catforum I belong to, named Catforum

There is a whole section just on nutrition.

I feed my cats a combo of Friskies pate mixed with a high end chicken with gravy (Avoderm) from the natural pet food store twice daily, and then a no-grains dry food called Instinct (1/4 cup each per day). My one cat was overweight when I got him, and they had him eating regular dry food only. It took a while to transition them off the high-carb dry and onto the two different meals. Now both are at healthy weight. Many say don't get them started on fish, then they get addicted - I don't know if I believe that or not - but I don't like the smell so they get chicken or duck.

I did sprinkle dry on the wet for a while. They also sell freeze-dried raw sprinkles that are irresistible to my cats - called Stella and Chewys.

Especially when they start to get older, it's good to have them on wet food, since older cats get kidney disease and need a lot of fluids. They get more out of the wet food than trying to inspire them to drink more water.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm still feeding them the SO food, but it's about two bucks a can (6 oz) for the wet food. And you need a prescription to get it--I buy mine at the vet's. The big issue for my cats is the risk of bladder stones--which is a known risk of feeding dry food. I think the dry is plenty nutritious (the quality food), but they apparently don't get enough water with the dry food. My cats are litter mates, so it seems likely if one is prone to bladder stones the other one might be, too. The SO food contains ingredients that help dissolve stones that might otherwise form.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

So sorry Amy! Your fur baby is lucky to have a mommy that loves her so much. It was plain and simply an accident.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I just want to say how great a job you are doing.
I very recently had to put my cat down as he got cancer & the area affected was the mouth. He was grungy, dribbling constantly, couldn't wash himself, was hungry yet struggled to eat. I hand feed him all sorts in different ways so he could manage & I washed him every night & washed his dribble constantly.
We are good Mums, good luck to you & hugs.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Not that much of an update. She still is sniffing the dry food, won't touch the wet food. I'm still feeding with syringe. Other then that though I see a great improvement. She is playing with the laser light more. She seems more alert. She fight me more with the syringe. She isn't hiding out on the kitchen counter anymore. She is always watching me.

All cats have different personalities. Misty always drove me nuts with picking little things up on the end tables, taking them to the end of the table and dropping them on the floor. Have no idea why she likes to do that. It's usually things like pens, chap stick, nail clippers. She was doing that today. It didn't make me nuts today. (lol)

Usually after I force fed her she would run and hide, now she just walks out of the bathroom and sits in front of me cleaning herself.

I think she is out of the woods right now, I am just monitoring her eating by herself and her litter box things.

Thank you again. We both appreciate you so much.

(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
amy

PS-- I was trying to post her picture. I'm really bad at this stuff. I'm working on this. I plugged camera into computer and it told me it didn't import anything. I have a new computer. I don't know if I have any of that movie gallery or silverlight or whatever it is. I'll work on this tomorrow. Also working on trying to fix my TV. Netflix works, tv doesn't. Think it is the cable box, but need to make sure before I call cable company. Was also working on my ice maker is no longer working. I really need a good night sleep and work on these things tomorrow. My brain is fried.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Not for anyone who doesn't want to hear about cats bowel movements.

I am just so happy. I saw cat poop on my kitchen floor. Must have been there for about 1/2 hour. I didn't see who did it, since I have 4 cats. It looked like some constipation, then looked really healthy. Misty hid under the couch again. I called her our with the laser light. I decided to brush her again, to help her clean up. When I got to her butt, I could tell she just went #2. Yay.

After I finished brushing her, she walked over to the food dish and ate for at least 10 minutes.

Actually right now she is in the litter box.

I think she is going to be just fine.

Thank you everyone for keeping me sane.

(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Old 03-27-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Old 03-27-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Yay, Poop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy, I just want to tell you that I've learned so much about cat's from reading this thread. I didn't realize how sensitive some of their dietary needs were. Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Misty is doing really good today. She got her appetite back. She ate at least 2 times really well, and then was snacking. She is more alert. She had another bowel movement today. A little groggy, but I guess that is to be expected. She is also starting to self groom herself again. I wanted to help her today, but I left her alone, because I wanted to give her a free day from stress. Will help her tomorrow.

I can't believe I was dancing in the kitchen last night because a cat pooped on my kitchen floor. (lol) I did stay up till about 3 to make sure she didn't have diarrhea from the olive oil I had given her. She was fine thought, she had two trips to litter box, then we went to sleep.

So, I do think Misty will be OK, but will still watch her like a hawk for another 2 - 3 days.

Still working on putting her pic here. I have a new computer, and my head is not working right now. Well Misty and I are off soon to go to sleep.

(((((((((((hugs, and many thanks))))))))))))))))
again if I got crazy, I am sorry, I just have to say that I don't know if I could have kept my sanity without all of the help and good wishes here. Thanks again

amy
Old 03-27-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

You're not crazy, you're just like a lot of us who love our kitties!!

Glad to hear Misty is doing better!! I've been known to act like a private investigator, following a cat around to make sure they are eating/drinking/peeing/pooping so I get it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

It's so hard to know what poop belongs to what cat. I knew because she let me brush her butt last night. There was wet poop there. I knew it was hers then.

Looking forward to getting some sleep tonight. I can actually let Misty out of my room this time without following her, to see what she is doing.

amy
Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Go Misty and Amy!

Have a wonderful day... you have earned some rest and relaxation girls!

hugs
Old 03-28-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
A work in progress

If she's eating, she's pooping. Sounds like her mouth is feeling OK again if she's grooming and eating. Good news!