Best few days of my recent life

Old 11-06-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best few days of my recent life

Two sober days thanks to AVRT. Sadly Beasty got me again so soon with a vengeance.
Hope to tackle him again very soon.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kaily,

If you can go a few days without a drink, you can go through the free AVRT crash course at the Rational Recovery web site, and you can beat this thing. It doesn't matter how long it has gone on for, or what the government social workers are telling you.

I strongly recommend getting yourself a copy of the book Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey. It is very inexpensive online, easy to read, and explains AVRT in great detail.

After you go through the free AVRT crash course, read through the AVRT discussion threads until the book arrives.
You can do this, but don't wait for a miracle. I have full faith in your own ability to recover, even if you, or others, do not.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kaily, how are you today?

If I can stop drinking and stay stopped, then, honestly, I believe that anyone can. The stopping drinking is the first and only step you need to take, to achieve abstinence. It is within your own power. You will then have a solid foundation upon which to rebuild or reclaim your life, as you see fit.

Plus, once the alcohol is gone, any inherent problems which it might have masked, stand a better chance of being addressed effectively, by appropriate professionals.

I believed I suffered from depression of some sort. It transpires that the alcohol consumption caused it. I was 'addicted' for over 20 years, every single day I drank, apart from an 11 day period, after reading Alan Carr's book years ago.

AVRT has quite literally saved my life and then enabled me to start transforming it. Alcohol is an undisputed depressant drug, no wonder I was depressed, it was never out of my system.

I hope you're OK and are still reading.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tatsy

Not brilliant I'm afraid, did manage another couple of days but then slipped again and drank two bottles of vodka in two days.
I live alone so it is so easy to do.
I am pleased AVRT is working for you, stay strong.
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kaily,

You do want to end this, right?

Look at your hands, and ask your Beast to wiggle your fingers. Promise it a drink if it can wiggle your fingers. It won't be able to do anything, because it can't do anything except generate ideas to justify drinking.

AVRT is something that you do, by recognizing that you are in full control of your muscles, and that bodily desires, or expressions of desire (ie, the Addictive Voice), cannot move the muscles. Desire cannot fulfill itself.

It (your Beast) may strongly want to drink, but who cares what it wants? Its deprivation is not your deprivation, and its suffering is not your suffering, so just let it starve. You won't be hurt at all.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Algorithm I do truly want to do it. For me to have even a couple of sober days is a miracle in itself plus I felt so much better.
The brattish beast gets me when I am tired, need to relax and I don't have the energy to fight it.
I know excuses excuses..
Old 11-10-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Kaily, yes I'm staying strong, to my Authentic Voice (self) which wants the best for me; not my Addictive Voice (beast) which wants the worst for me and is quite happy to consign me to a grave in order to pursue its mis-directed pleasure.

I'll bow out to Algorithm, who has played a massive part in guiding me onto the recovered pathway, through his posts on SR. He will be able to explain the principles of AVRT so much better than I can.

But I just want to say to you, Kaily, that as unbelievable as it may seem to you now, you CAN do this. You CAN stop drinking, if you want to. I tried everything, believe me, everything. I'm still in shock that I've achieved this, but the method is as old as the hills, much older than the methods of the last century, many of which proved ineffective.

If you can suspend disbelief and instead for a while, believe in yourself and your ability, something amazing will happen.

As I said, I'm hoping Algorithm steps in again, because although I'm an absolute believer and proof-positive that it works for the 'hard cases' as I was, equivalent of a bottle of vodka a day or more ( fifth in the US and 750ml in the UK) I still find it hard to convey how it works in words! I just followed the book (not essential the free material on the RR website may assist) and thereby regained the life I lost a very long time ago.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
For me to have even a couple of sober days is a miracle in itself plus I felt so much better.
The underlined part above is actually your Addictive Voice.

Remember, the AV is the the Beast itself talking -- any thinking, imagery, or feeling that supports, or suggests your possible future drinking. The idea that not drinking is a miracle (unlikely) absolutely suggests that more drinking is in the cards.

Your Beast would love to have you believe that not drinking is a miracle, but it is simply you not doing something (not drinking), and you are fully capable of not doing something that hurts you.

Any self-doubt that you are perfectly capable of not drinking forever is also the Beast talking, because it suggests more drinking, and is therefore AV. Just recognize it as the Beast throwing up smoke and mirrors.

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
The brattish beast gets me when I am tired, need to relax and I don't have the energy to fight it.
The Beast doesn't 'get you', it just appears to be you, so that you confuse its desire for drink with your own desire for drink. There is no need to fight it. Just recognize any thinking that steers you toward drinking, and maintain the separation between you and the Beast.

For example, if I see someone drinking a beer, I may feel the desire of the Beast to drink a beer, or imagine the taste, but I am not desiring to drink. It is my Beast that is desiring to drink, and it is calling up memories of drink, but I don't drink, or even want to drink.

In this way, my hopeless Beast is locked in the body of someone who doesn't drink, and it can't gain any traction. The desire may come, but it is harmless, and it dissipates. The Beast may desire, but it cannot engage the muscles.

Recognize and separate.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Perfect, Algorithm, words of wisdom. I do hope you're a 'he' as I assumed by your little red devil man!

Kaily, what are your thoughts on what Algorithm wrote, not your Beast's, but your thoughts. Can you feel the two sides, the ambivalence?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
I tried everything, believe me, everything. I'm still in shock that I've achieved this, but the method is as old as the hills, much older than the methods of the last century, many of which proved ineffective.
This is the tragedy of the whole thing.

Our society provides zero information to addicted people on how to quit drinking except to stop trying to quit and to instead 'get help' which will (presumably) remove the desire to drink, as if they were powerless over desire. Having been told that the desire needs to be removed in order to stay sober, when it is not removed as promised, back to drinking they go.

With AVRT, we instead assume that nothing necessarily works to remove desire, but that anyone is perfectly capable of abstaining in spite of desire. The desire generally diminishes over time with sustained abstinence, following a typical extinction curve, but that is simply incidental, and not required.