SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Best few days of my recent life
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
I tried everything, believe me, everything. I'm still in shock that I've achieved this, but the method is as old as the hills, much older than the methods of the last century, many of which proved ineffective.
This is the tragedy of the whole thing.

Our society provides zero information to addicted people on how to quit drinking except to stop trying to quit and to instead 'get help' which will (presumably) remove the desire to drink, as if they were powerless over desire. Having been told that the desire needs to be removed in order to stay sober, when it is not removed as promised, back to drinking they go.

With AVRT, we instead assume that nothing necessarily works to remove desire, but that anyone is perfectly capable of abstaining in spite of desire. The desire generally diminishes over time with sustained abstinence, following a typical extinction curve, but that is simply incidental, and not required.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Algorithm For This Useful Post:
Behappy1 (11-15-2016), Fusion (11-11-2016), jazzfish (11-11-2016), Kaily (11-10-2016), soberlicious (11-10-2016), tursiops999 (11-10-2016)