Notices

Killing myself from the inside out

Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Killing myself from the inside out

I have 3 years sober from alcohol today, but now i find myself turning to Tylenol PM in order to escape life. I find myself not wanting to go to work. I've stopped going to my AA meetings. I know that I am on a slippery slope, but I'm not sure how to stop. I do understand the damage that I am doing to myself and part of me thinks that i deserve it. I think I've resolved myself to talk to the Dr at my physical on Tues, but it's so humiliating to admit that i relapsed on Tylenol PM. This disease sucks. It's true that if you don't stay vigilant it will sneak up on you in any way it can. I would appreciate any support or any feedback from those who can relate.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do speak to your doctor - I'm sure they have dealt with this kind of thing before.
Let us know how you get on

D
Old 01-26-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a whole thread on this nasty Tylenol PM

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ss-nights.html

The stuff always made me feel really depressed both when I took it and the entire next day, never really helped me sleep and is just a crappy product.

Tylenol is brand of pharmaceutical products developed and marketed by McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals. All Tylenol products contain acetaminophen, a pain reliever. In addition to acetaminophen, Tylenol PM includes diphenhydramine HCl, an antihistamine. Tylenol PM is marketed as a pain reliever and sleep aid. Both of Tylenol PM's active ingredients can cause long-term "side" effects.

Read more The Long-Term Effects of Tylenol PM | LIVESTRONG.COM

Pharma companies don't care, they will just play there usual sneaky games selling diphenhydramine HCl as "PM" and dozens of other names when its all the same thing.

I don't think I would call Tylenol PM a relapse , more like a poisoning cause the crappy product makes people bummed out depressed to the point they just want to take more of it and sleep.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

glad you are here.

It's a good sign that you realize what's going on with you...that you are replacing booze with meds, etc. That level of honesty and insight is definitely on your side.

Sounds like depression is becoming a real issue. The meds might be making that worse. Glad you are going to the dr.

A number of people here have found themselves abusing dyphenhydramine (one of the active ingredients in TPM) and finding themselves on that "slippery slope" depression and trouble sleeping.

I did it myself. We get past it. Keep posting.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support, guys. I actually just sent off an email to my psychiatrist explaining the situation and then had a good cry. Thank God I get to see my therapist tomorrow and then my regular doc on Tuesday. Telling on myself is the hardest thing to do, but I need to if i want to get better.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you did that mlorenc

D