Notices
View Poll Results: Did you recover what you lost from "using"?
Yes, for the most part.
11.11%
No, I still need to seek rehabilitation of the mind, body, or soul.
33.33%
It depends on your particular situation. (The substances, the period of abuse, and the user)
16.67%
I've gained more then what I've lost in almost every sense.
38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

My state of conciousness

Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My state of conciousness

Okay let's sum this up really quickly... I was an abuser of anything I could get my hands on...in lavish amounts. My drugs of choice: Benzos and Opiates. I've been way too sober since Sep. 28th of 2011. That means absolutely nothing you'd post on this forum about, except nicotine. I tried pot in 6th grade and was addicted by the end of 8th. I was smoking cigarettes in the alley on and off during 9th grade and then became addicted by 10th. I tried Oxycodone for the first time in 11th grade or so, and that was all she wrote. A week later I was a full-blown addict who just recently said "I've had enough". 6 years later...

I took the hard road to recovery. Seeing as my option was either inevitable remorse or a plane ticket, I took the latter. Since then I've been immersed in a completely different culture where I am constrained to speak the language. I have lots of family here which all know my problems, and care about me dearly. They've provided me with an ideal environment catered to me personally. I thank the Lord every day for what I have been given. I pray the same door will be open to you all.

My cravings for drugs are long gone. The pill dreams are literally once in a blue moon. I've gained at least 10 pounds and I know I look better. I'm very happy I made it this far. After looking through a few threads, it brought back the feelings of how I felt during w/d and I have to say more power to all of you. One small step each day changes your life. I'm overjoyed to see the amount of positive reinforcement provided by this community..

I struggle daily with two problems. The first is anxiety. The second is my attention span, creativity, and ability to store and recall memories. I've done much reading on bluelight which kind of leaves me at a question mark. How severe is my case? Did I nod off forty times too many and deprive oxygen to my brain? Can this be reversed without that new technology to regrow brain cells? What are the best methods to retrain yourself to be yourself? To sum things up, I can remember how apt I was throughout my life until high-school. Now, I feel like life itself is yelling at me "You shouldn't have done drugs, now you're paying for it". Now we all know this is obvious, but it hurts to know what you are (or think you are) capable of but are unable to harness it on demand anymore. Attention, creativity, and articulate thinking becomes an in and out thing almost only associated when my interest is at a full peak. Conversations have become bland. My emotions are off; I can't portray what my heart feels. I come off wrong most of the time, but when completely serene I almost become the man I used to be- playful, caring, and intelligent. Other times I can be as amusing as a brick. The problem is I know what I'm doing wrong, I feel the sensations associated with the problem, but my luck has run out. Every day it seems to get better but it's really stressing me out. Anxiety seems to influence this. When my hearts beating rapidly and I start sweating (in the winter time), my problems tend to skyrocket. I’ve read the threads pertaining to anxiety but it’s not a complete fix. How does this tie in to the subject title, you might ask? It’s like I’m floating in and out of different states of consciousness. One where I am aware, focused, prompt, and cool-headed. The other is where I’m disconnected, overwhelmed easily, and oblivious. It always wanders between the two. I’d closely describe it as being the disconnected feeling when quitting cigarettes. The only difference is you are filled with anxiety and sometimes blankness. What did you do to get back what the drugs took?

Thanks for reading.
-drunkenboxer
Old 02-13-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You mention you have trouble with "The first is anxiety. The second is my attention span, creativity, and ability to store and recall memories"

Buddy you're not alone. After I quit the prescription meds, I too suffered from the same thing - minus the memory issues. Problem is, I always suffered from those things since I was a child. I was diagnosed at an early age with "Hyperactivity" - that's what they called it in the early 70's (yeah I know I'm dating myself)...
I learner to mange it later in life after a really $($&*y childhood. I managed it with physical exhaustion - military, law enforcement, etc. I never could do things in moderation - always extremes.
When I began getting opiods from my pain mgm doctor, guess what? It all went away! For a couple of years I was pain free and no longer doing things in the "extreme".

I went to a shrink after I quit taking my meds. It was perhaps one of the best things I did for myself. My shrink diagnosed me with Adult ADHD. Sure, I did all kinds of diagnostics and tests and they (combined with a bunch of visits) all confirmed it.
Now, I'm not taking meds for that (yet) and I may not take them. Important thing is I know what causes my anxiety, compulsions, extreme thinking...
One of the biggest things I managed to do was simply unload! That's right, all those little nasty things from my past came out. The child abuse, deaths, combat - all that stuff. Heck, the first day I saw him felt as if a ton of bricks was lifted off of me.
Right now, despite my wife being a complete $&%*$, I'm doing alright and learning to manage myself a little better.
Now, this is ME and ME only!

If you're having trouble, the first thing I suggest is speaking to a licensed medical professional. Whether it be a Doctor or a Shrink.
It sounds like you need help and you can bet there are plenty of folks out there that can help. Here at SR, we're here for you in spirit but we can help with the serious stuff! THat's what you're family and local medical establishment is for.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

While what you're saying is absolutely true, I simply want to gather as much information as possible. The basic problem is my attention span wanders now, but it didn't before. When I was on the drugs I didn't have the problem with the consistency of my attention span, although it must have been diminishing over time. It's all related to my anxiety. When it goes up, my attention span and my cool collective self scampers away. I also have a minor out of body experience which kind of worries me (only when I'm feeling anxious). It quite possibly could just be the sensation from the adrenaline. What I'm getting at is I cannot pin-point the cause. Anxiety is caused from fear. Generally before I leave the house I feel the anxiousness come-on, but it's the fear of being anxious which triggers all this. I'm unhappy with that altered state of being anxious and it is its own proponent.

I guess the proper response to your post would be, no I do not want to take medication. I'm not taking anything at all right now and I've never felt better. With the way medicine is advancing these days, pills may be only one of many solutions and therefore a doctor's help might be in line. I guess I'm trying to find a holistic approach through past experiences of others. This condition I'm feeling is going away bit by bit. I just want to see what you have to say. Thanks IvanKatz
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

DB,
The point of my post was not to suggest you get on more meds but rather to seek some professional help. Heck, even the toughest of us need a hand sometimes.
I'm quite sure the constant drug abuse has altered your mindset. The question now is are you going to ride it out with uncertainty or seek help for it.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

excellent thread DB!

I used to have that kind of junkie pride where i would say "man i'd hate to retake the same tests i took pre college- bet my IQ has taken a nose dive! " and yeah , continuous weeks of LSD intake probably did damage. as did the years of cocaine addiction, later the opiates. and the booze and the hashish - anyway -

so

I do NA - and i did [and do] it up like the drugs. Right away i was writing a lot . pages n pages covering some of the same stuff as Ivan. Results were good- improved concentration, release from the nightmares, brought the mental tape loops to a halt, began exercises in self care/self love.

But i very specifically remember the morning in my 13th month of clean time when i woke up and realized i had memorized about a dozen phone numbers. Keep inmind i used to have to carry my own phine number , written down in case cops/bartender/whomever demanded it. I was always sure i wouldn't remember it [i mean we are damn resourceful, we addicts LOL]
So that morning of the "remembering" I leapt out of bed practically shrieking with joy. Back then i had all sorts of sayings and poetry and songs written down and nailed to walls in my house and for some nummber of weeks i would try to memorize one every day . what a feeling!! That same year- i challenged myself- i read books on Theory of Relativity [Wheeler] on Sociobiology/evolution [Pinker] on Life[kerouac]

so

one of the many gifts i've gotten is going to a creative writing group. and lo and behold- finished my first manuscript- a novel... then went on to write songs. have another book in progress... And not to press too heavily on the NA model but the fact is, when i am actively doing step work, my creativity seems to take a quantum leap...

the bottom line- yes. I am quite sure i am 'damaged goods'- lucky my liver functions are decent. i suffer from lack of focus [and i wonder if it isn't the f*****g internet is doing the most harm] ... but i lead a Big Life. after these posts. i will be back getting the #2 hull on my homebuilt catamaran ready for decks and cabin. Will go on a bike ride into the natl forest. Add water to the batteries in my solar system -[ i installed/evolved an 80 amp system of PV and wind] be talking to at least one other addict in recovery. Gotta take care of the chickens. bake some bread. Get final costs on a little carpentry job for a client. read Rumi.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

IvanKatz, I certainly admire you as a contributer and friend. You're last post in combination with the first made me reanalyze the whole situation. After skimming through my original post, I kind of realized that from a 3rd party perspective this sounds pretty serious, and it is. I guess if I look within my past, I could just diagnose this as a strong case of anxiety brought on by the use of drugs. Come to think about it, I wasn't much better in high school after I started smoking pot. The truth of the matter is, to get an official opinion I'd need to go to a doctor, and have as many analyses done to tailor a fix. Of course, I'm no doctor so he or she would be the one to decided what's best. I just need to keep exercising my brain. When I first came here in October, I found myself desperate because of the damage I had self-inflicted. Now I am indescribably better. I've been using a program, called "Brain Exercise with Dr. Kawashima", for those of you interesting in gauging/improving your cognitive ability. I found myself thinking out of the box after using it, so to speak. It also has been helping me dramatically with my focus and attention span...but I'm getting off track. It all boils down to what you said, I can't do this alone. I guess all I want to know is how the people around me are doing in similar situations.

macknacat, I too have found reading and memorizing helps me greatly. It sort of re-training my brain. Like I wasn't using it before...at least as much as I should have been. This is the story of success I've been longing to hear. You just gave me inspiration that it will all change. After all I have my whole life ahead of me. Just hearing you waking up, and saying to yourself "hey I can do this" makes me believe that I can do that one day too. It sounds like you are a very big part of NA and you should be proud of that. It takes commitment... I was going to NA and AA meetings for quite a while there...but I relapsed. My uncle is pretty in to them. As far as focus is concerned, I think I just need to accept we all lack a bit of it sometimes...i think that's called 'writer's block'.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just for the record, these posts are helping me release stress I've been holding in. I've found that when I'm really stressed out, I cannot concentrate, etc. etc. Everything I do that relaxes and focuses me seems to make me that much better. Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, you're going to have days like this. I know because today I've had one of the worse days I've ever had in 13-14 years? My wife said something so cold and ugly to me this morning that it physically made me sick ALL day! I even felt like I was going through W/D all day long. Seriously!

I mean, the one person I'd never expect to sink a knife deep in my back - DID!
Did I want to use today? HELL YEAH! Do I want to use right now? More than ever! I'm in so much pain right now I can barely type.
Am I going to use? Nope. Am I going to use tomorrow? Nope!
Tomorrow is another day and maybe something will give (hopefully not my will).
You see, we all have very bad days. Part of being sober is dealing with the ugly things life throws at you. Even if it kicks you in the crotch over and over.
So as I sit here as if a mule kicked me in the gut. I know I can't use to escape my present. If I did, I'd be right back to the lowest misery I've ever known.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanKatz View Post
Hey, you're going to have days like this. I know because today I've had one of the worse days I've ever had in 13-14 years? My wife said something so cold and ugly to me this morning that it physically made me sick ALL day! I even felt like I was going through W/D all day long. Seriously!

I mean, the one person I'd never expect to sink a knife deep in my back - DID!
Did I want to use today? HELL YEAH! Do I want to use right now? More than ever! I'm in so much pain right now I can barely type.
Am I going to use? Nope. Am I going to use tomorrow? Nope!
Tomorrow is another day and maybe something will give (hopefully not my will).
You see, we all have very bad days. Part of being sober is dealing with the ugly things life throws at you. Even if it kicks you in the crotch over and over.
So as I sit here as if a mule kicked me in the gut. I know I can't use to escape my present. If I did, I'd be right back to the lowest misery I've ever known.
That should go in the record books for one of the best posts. Sobriety is living life of life's terms...and you reminded me of that. I have a really flippin hard time with that. I want to numb the pain. I'm too used to taking 30mgs of **** it. That would always do the trick. That or the rum, the e, the shrooms, the benzos...well you know what I'm saying. I admire you for your courage. Let's hope I can continue on the right path.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thnx DB. Sounds like you are still young so my guess is that you will recover most parts of your life rather quickly. Some of my real inspirations at meetings are young folk in recovery: The guy who is cutting his first album of guitar work or the young woman who is now asst manager at a huge store or the couple who are being the parents i wish i had had [or been]. I love being included in their lives . I have even been given the opportunity to conduct a couple of weddings! Me !?! At one i passed myself off as 'Security' to a couple of aunties at rehersal dinner [just rode 4 hours to get there. still in dusty leathers] bride-to-be busted all over me. Somewhere on the intertubes is me and dainty ol ladies posing on my big blue Drifter!!

Pride in NA? i bit i suppose. after all its the longest i ever stuck with anything [16yrs] mostly i guess its quiet joy: that i never HAVE to pick up . that i've come to terms with myself and kinda love who i am. that i do what i say. always. that i get to meet folk like you and Ivan who make sure i learn something about myself today... [and i echo DB's sentiments about sharing what is going on in your life Ivan- thanks]

as we say- thanks for letting me share

Last edited by macknacat; 02-13-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling n such
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing macknacat
Old 02-13-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there Ivan!

The biggest trials are followed by the best rewards...
Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Things are better. We had a little come to Jesus talk over dinner.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went through, and to a lesser extent still go through, exactly what you said. I was addicted to oxycontin but abused most pills and marijuana for years (luckily not many, but years).

Bottom line is you've realized, like me, that sobriety is it. There's no other option. Even if life sucks really badly sober, there's no alternative. Once that struggle is gone, you can focus on the secondary goal which is to have the best quality of life sober that you can. It sounds like to me what you are going through is some form of anxiety and depression. Both can take the form of lack of creativity and concentration. Basically I think all of just reach a point where all we want is to be happy, and stable. Try to do things, everyday, that promote this. Make a habit of doing the little things everyday that will promote your health and happiness, both in the short and long term. You may not feel great everyday, and you may feel really bad somedays, but at least you lived right and did your best. You make a habit of this and you will start having more good days. Your baseline level of happiness and stability will increase - meaning it will become normal to feel better.

one thing that helps me me is regular, intense exercise (this is so huge, on so many levels). It releases feel good chemicals, improves physical health, keeps me busy and social, improves self esteem, ect. I do this no matter what, and when I'm feeling sh*tty, that's the most important time for me to do this. My mood and clarity increased leaps and bounds from doing this. Important thing is regularity, and yes, intensity.

some other things

Make each day your masterpiece - accomplish things
Help others
Give thanks and have gratitude for the good in your life
maintain a sense of community with the people in your life, don't isolate. this is huge for emotional health.

Regardless of how we are feeling, there's no reason that all of us can't try to do these things, every single day.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome advice guys. If it wasn't so cold out, I'd go running. It's also kind of inner city here, so running might not be the best idea. I'll find a gym and start there. Swimming is kind of a passion of mine. I'll definitely focus on that. I try to stretch, do push up, etc. when I can but it isn't cutting it. Thanks Stride34.

Ivan. You've set a great example for your peers. Stay strong. If anything does happen, we're here to brace your fall.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

DB,
I'd HIGHLY recommend the gym! I started it last week and it has bad quite a dent in my mood and sleep. It sucked the first 6 days but like W/D, it gets better every day. I'm finally at the point where I'm not so sore and my body is starting to feel good (despite the back pain).
It's hard to believe how much my muscles have atrophied over the last couple of years. Oh well, I'm not looking back anymore I'm looking forward.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

not only do i get to try on yet another alternative activity to using- but exercise is a beautiful way of loving myself . thru out my recovery , i have been both a gym rat and a ski freak. even returned to rock climbing for a season, whitewater kayaking another season....

with the boat project on front of me, its bicycling and weights here at my house now.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done on your 4 months, looks like your family did you a favor installing you in a different location, giving you a brand new start without access to your drugs.

Keep it up.