Notices

New to This

Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to This

Originally Posted by goingtokicksoon View Post
Figured I'd start a new thread. I'm in Day 3 of my oxycodone detox, and things seem to be going pretty well, perhaps because I tapered down to 5 mg over the course of two weeks.

Definitely have a general feeling of ickiness, but this is not near as bad as I expected. I even slept last night. Anyway, just want to let people who are going through the same process that it can definitely be done, and yes, I know, it sucks. I had RLS last night in a really bad way, a way that I did not know was even possible. It felt like torture, but with the Zanaflex my doc gave me I eventually slept. Its just a muscle relaxer, but it really does bring down your blood pressure (for me, which is somewhat high anyway) while making you very sleepy.

Good luck with the acute phase of WD, and then with PAWS if you happen to suffer from that too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about that.
I am new to this. I got my left hand smashed in a press at worl nov 28 2011 got airflighted to wichita where they removeved my ring and middle finger had over a 100 stiches. Hand is still very swollen and still have no feeling in my pointer finger, Also pointer and ring finger are bent in the shape of letter c Have been on oxy 15 mg since Nov, workmans comp is wanting me back to work. Next dr appt is feb 22. was going to ask dr to give another month off cause I do not want to go back to work on these drugs oxy Amatriptlyne and lorazapam. Will the withdraws be hard. I know I have gone through emotions just on the loss of my hand still can't even pull my hair back tie my shoes. It has just been rough whatever advice you can offer would be deeply appriciated. Not sure I did this right never got on one of these before. I am 49 yr old woman who has worked at that factory for over 20 yrs. Thank you for listening.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

please
Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If, and I say IF you've only been using pain meds since Nov, I seriously doubt you're going to have a lot of trouble with the W/D. Now, everyone is different. Many factors come into play like age, weight, sex, prior addictions, etc.
If you've never taken meds on a regular basis, I'd say your W/D will be a little like having the flu for a couple of days but then you should be able to shake it off. Your doctor is your absolute best resource for this.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been on a combination of hydrocodone (w/ a ceiling of 90 mg a day during the acute part of my injury) and oxycodone (w/ a ceiling of 50 mg) -- both compounded with either ibuprofen or with the minimal amount of APAP so as to save my liver. Never hydro and oxy at once, but at different time splices of my treatment. Anyway, I'm a pain management patient and think that is vital that you 1) get your pain treated by a doctor (preferably a reputable pain management doctor) so that you can function, and I do believe that there is a time and place for prescription narcotics in such pain management and 2) get off the stuff when your pain situation is better and your doctor wants you off the meds.

If you have a good doctor, you should really ask him/her about the meds. It sounds like you are still in a fair amount of pain. Just be totally honest about your pain level. Also, is your dose of oxycodone 15 mg per dose, or are you taking 15 mg a day? If it is 15 mg per dose and you take the meds around the clock, then you are talking about at least 60 mg of oxy per day, perhaps more. Obviously, 60 mg/day will be more difficult to get off of then 15 mg/day. If you want to stop, I recommend tapering down (but again, under your doc's care). It really seemed to help me, although I did suffer WD symptoms for about 10 days on my taper (death by a thousand cuts rather than one great big one). If you do this, I recommend getting a pill cutter from your local drug store (for like $5-$6). I was splitting my percocet 10/325 pills into eighths by the end of my taper. I didn't feel anything from taking that dose, but I'm pretty sure it helped with the WD symptoms. Also, if you want to go off of the (lorazapam) benzos, the pill cutter will be a great resource, because you really do need to taper off of any benzodiazapene, b/c if you don't, well, you could die. Your doctor should confirm that it is dangerous to cold turkey off of benzos and help you put together a taper schedule.

As to 'Amatriptlyne', I have no experience, hence nothing to contribute. I'd definitely talk to the doc and read all of the prescription medication insert that the prescription came with.

Best wishes to you.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Besides getting medical advice from a doctor, if I was in a worker's comp situation, I would at least sit down for a consult with an attorney. I'm NOT giving legal advice, just advice about getting some legal advice from a professional in much the same way I'd advise you to see a doctor for the pain.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been on a combination of hydrocodone (w/ a ceiling of 90 mg a day during the acute part of my injury) and oxycodone (w/ a ceiling of 50 mg) -- both compounded with either ibuprofen or with the minimal amount of APAP so as to save my liver. Never hydro and oxy at once, but at different time splices of my treatment. Anyway, I'm a pain management patient and think that is vital that you 1) get your pain treated by a doctor (preferably a reputable pain management doctor) so that you can function, and I do believe that there is a time and place for prescription narcotics in such pain management and 2) get off the stuff when your pain situation is better and your doctor wants you off the meds.

If you have a good doctor, you should really ask him/her about the meds. It sounds like you are still in a fair amount of pain. Just be totally honest about your pain level. Also, is your dose of oxycodone 15 mg per dose, or are you taking 15 mg a day? If it is 15 mg per dose and you take the meds around the clock, then you are talking about at least 60 mg of oxy per day, perhaps more. Obviously, 60 mg/day will be more difficult to get off of then 15 mg/day. If you want to stop, I recommend tapering down (but again, under your doc's care). It really seemed to help me, although I did suffer WD symptoms for about 10 days on my taper (death by a thousand cuts rather than one great big one). If you do this, I recommend getting a pill cutter from your local drug store (for like $5-$6). I was splitting my percocet 10/325 pills into eighths by the end of my taper. I didn't feel anything from taking that dose, but I'm pretty sure it helped with the WD symptoms. Also, if you want to go off of the (lorazapam) benzos, the pill cutter will be a great resource, because you really do need to taper off of any benzodiazapene, b/c if you don't, well, you could die. Your doctor should confirm that it is dangerous to cold turkey off of benzos and help you put together a taper schedule.

As to 'Amatriptlyne', I have no experience, hence nothing to contribute. I'd definitely talk to the doc and read all of the prescription medication insert that the prescription came with.

Best wishes to you.
Yes you are right =) I am taking a total of 45-to 60 mg a day. I am also going to counciling. Thank you very much for your advice.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK, that is the range that I was in. Never took 60 mg in a day (but would have if it had been prescribed), but I was often anywhere between 40-50 mg daily. My taper lasted about 2 1/2 weeks and seemed to help me. And I was on these meds for about 12.5 months.

I'm very sorry about your hand. I used to work in a factory and was also the safety rep for my 'group' at the time. I've seen some really bad cuts, but thankfully never had to handle a smashed body part situation. (I would have fainted instantly.). Get better. Keep talking. You will find a lot of good folks on here.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Besides getting medical advice from a doctor, if I was in a worker's comp situation, I would at least sit down for a consult with an attorney. I'm NOT giving legal advice, just advice about getting some legal advice from a professional in much the same way I'd advise you to see a doctor for the pain.
GTKS is 100% right on these issues. We're merely a community here.
I will say from experience that if you're on Workman's Comp - you BETTER have an attorney.
3 years ago this month I broke my arm and shoulder at work. The W/C insurance tried hand over fist to screw me to the wall. The only thing that saved me was having a damned good attorney!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't want to assert that so strongly b/c I'm new here, but I wholeheartedly agree with Ivan's comment. You definitely have to protect yourself in this situation.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Let's just say that I have no vehicle payments and shortened my 30 year mortgage by half...
Old 02-12-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanKatz View Post
GTKS is 100% right on these issues. We're merely a community here.
I will say from experience that if you're on Workman's Comp - you BETTER have an attorney.
3 years ago this month I broke my arm and shoulder at work. The W/C insurance tried hand over fist to screw me to the wall. The only thing that saved me was having a damned good attorney!
Thank you for your kindness. I live in Kansas and saw a lawyer the 3rd wk this happened and even though my company blatenly REMOVED SAFTEY GUARDS I guess Kansas May 16 2011 passes a law where they would not be faulted, Kinda sucks for me. But at least they are taking care of medical bills and I get my wkly pay chk. Kinda figure thats why they are in a hurry to make me go back to work. That kinda makes me mad. but I am also dealing with that I will just pray the Lord makes me stronger and less angry, again thanks for all your words of encourement.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Aren't doctors in charge of when you get released back to work? You aren't in such a small town that someone from your work could try to sway the doc's judgment, are you? I'd be concerned if the decision your doctor makes doesn't fit your injury situation. Obviously, a lawyer would help you with these issues as well, and a second opinion from another doctor couldn't hurt if you feel your current doctor releases you prematurely.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hope you are just busy and my last comment didn't upset you in any way. If it did, I am sorry.

I haven't seen it first hand like Ivan, but I have seen it with my mother years and years ago. If I could go back and advise her, I'd say get the legal advice and keep the lawyer available for after you go back to work. After my mom went back, she dealt with a lot of crap from the management because of her WC time; I think this is called workman's comp retaliation. And, eventually they drove her out the door, made her think that she was crazy and that everyone was out to get her (and eventually she had a nervous breakdown because of it). If she would have had a lawyer on the case the entire time, she could have taken them for a lot, but my family tends to be to nice in this way and she didn't cover her @ss. The moment that I realized what was going on, I'd have had a pocket recorder on my person every moment that I was in the work place and I would have documented every single conversation and xeroxed every performance review, etc. Permit me a political comment: These corporations are NOT people, b/c people have ethical consciences (that even if they don't use, they can damage). And these corporations have huge corporate law firms at their disposal. Protect yourself!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can understand not being able to fight due to a law being passed that's protecting the company.
That being said - there must be something to be done here.
This injury didn't just put you out of work for a period of time. Obviously the long term affect is apparent. What about now? The stress, the psychological damage? The painkiller problem also. I mean....I can't imagine them trying to get you back to work until you are ready and yes, I completely agree with goingtokicksoon, that your doctor is the person who releases you back into the work force. Now with the dependecy on mood altering drugs, how on earth can you be safe at work? No...I hope you manage to take this company for all their worth. It's very suspect what they're doing.
I'd imagine you'd be able to retain a good lawyer also with them footing the final bill.
(apologies if I am repeating and/or missed something - I think my head just exploded reading your first post. argh )
Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sheba, welcome to you, although it's a terrible situation which brought you here!

I have no experience w/WC but if I were you, I'd listen carefully to the advice of GTKS and Ivan. It really sounds like you need to protect yourself with an attorney who is going to stick up for YOU and you only.

I'm horrified at your injury! I'm so sorry- how devastating. I hope you have some very good medical care and sympathetic doctors who will help you. I think it's awful that they are trying to rush you back to work! How dare they...

Please keep posting and let us know how you are. Take care, dear.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope you are just busy and my last comment didn't upset you in any way. If it did, I am sorry.

I haven't seen it first hand like Ivan, but I have seen it with my mother years and years ago. If I could go back and advise her, I'd say get the legal advice and keep the lawyer available for after you go back to work. After my mom went back, she dealt with a lot of crap from the management because of her WC time; I think this is called workman's comp retaliation. And, eventually they drove her out the door, made her think that she was crazy and that everyone was out to get her (and eventually she had a nervous breakdown because of it). If she would have had a lawyer on the case the entire time, she could have taken them for a lot, but my family tends to be to nice in this way and she didn't cover her @ss. The moment that I realized what was going on, I'd have had a pocket recorder on my person every moment that I was in the work place and I would have documented every single conversation and xeroxed every performance review, etc. Permit me a political comment: These corporations are NOT people, b/c people have ethical consciences (that even if they don't use, they can damage). And these corporations have huge corporate law firms at their disposal. Protect yourself!
Absolutly not. =) I appriciate all your advice. Not very comp. savy lol plus it's hard to type with only one hand. I am not easily offended. Going to see dr on 22cd of Feb If you don't mind me asking sure could use an extra prayer. Still doing therapy every Mon, Wed. & Fri. Guess it will take awhile before I see a difference.
I live in Kansas Indp. about 15,000 so kinda small. Work at Standard Motors so it's a big company, Even got a letter from top dog in New York, hmmmm wishing me well, hmmm really lol kinda think he may have had a hidden agenda , but maybe that's just me being leary. Again thank you for your kindness.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AngelwithWings View Post
I can understand not being able to fight due to a law being passed that's protecting the company.
That being said - there must be something to be done here.
This injury didn't just put you out of work for a period of time. Obviously the long term affect is apparent. What about now? The stress, the psychological damage? The painkiller problem also. I mean....I can't imagine them trying to get you back to work until you are ready and yes, I completely agree with goingtokicksoon, that your doctor is the person who releases you back into the work force. Now with the dependecy on mood altering drugs, how on earth can you be safe at work? No...I hope you manage to take this company for all their worth. It's very suspect what they're doing.
I'd imagine you'd be able to retain a good lawyer also with them footing the final bill.
(apologies if I am repeating and/or missed something - I think my head just exploded reading your first post. argh )
Thank you so much for your thoughts. My next Dr appt is FEB 22, so if you don't mind me asking sure could use an extra prayer. I will let you know the 23rd how it went. I am not very computer savy and it's kinda slow typing with one hand , but you all have helped me emotionally, been kind of down lately. Live in a small town so not anyone around to really experience what I am going through.Thank you again for your thoughts and kindness.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sheba,thanks for been here and Sharing so Honestly.

You will need to Stay on what ever Medication your Doctor
has Prescribed for you.He will also Help you to Taper Off
what ever Drugs or Painkillers you are on...Gradually.
You Need to be Looked After by Your employer,you say they are Paying
Medical Costs/Wages....They will have to do Better than That.
An Attorney has been Suggested....Get a good one.
They are Responsible For Looking after Your Well been.
I wish you the Best...

God Bless you.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=sheba1991;3283043]Absolutly not. =) I appriciate all your advice. Not very comp. savy lol plus it's hard to type with only one hand. I am not easily offended. Going to see dr on 22cd of Feb If you don't mind me asking sure could use an extra prayer. Still doing therapy every Mon, Wed. & Fri. Guess it will take awhile before I see a difference.
I live in Kansas .
Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

saying prayers...most definitely. Have been.
You can always PM me. Just click on my name and go to
"send a private message"
Hope to hear back from you when you get time. We're always around, somewhere not
too far!