Notices

Day 3 of oxycodone detox

Old 02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 of oxycodone detox

Figured I'd start a new thread. I'm in Day 3 of my oxycodone detox, and things seem to be going pretty well, perhaps because I tapered down to 5 mg over the course of two weeks.

Definitely have a general feeling of ickiness, but this is not near as bad as I expected. I even slept last night. Anyway, just want to let people who are going through the same process that it can definitely be done, and yes, I know, it sucks. I had RLS last night in a really bad way, a way that I did not know was even possible. It felt like torture, but with the Zanaflex my doc gave me I eventually slept. Its just a muscle relaxer, but it really does bring down your blood pressure (for me, which is somewhat high anyway) while making you very sleepy.

Good luck with the acute phase of WD, and then with PAWS if you happen to suffer from that too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about that.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Potassium pills (I thought you'd gotten them but maybe it was a suggestion from another poster. ) I take them daily because I get low potassium from BP meds.
However, they make a noticeable improvement with any restless legs if I break down and need to nibble a bit of seroquel a couple times a month.
Just a thought.

Keep on keeping on!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool. I have some Potassium pills and some bananas. It looks like each pill is only 3% of one's daily allowance. I've been taking two of them 3x per day. I did forget to take them last night though which may explain my situation.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 4 is not going so well on the digestive front. I may be dipping into the Imodium today. Trying to hold off as long as possible in service to the detox, but geesh.

I know, I know. TMI (too much information)!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GTKS,
Magnesium supplements also help with the muscles and RLS. I never needed it but I've heard from others that it works well.
You're doing great! day 4 is usually the "hump". If you are able to get some good sleep tonight (after a nutritious meal), I think you'll be in much better shape tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have some Magnesium that mixes into a drink, but don't much like the overly-citrus taste. Mentally, I feel a bit better than the last few days. My vision is starting to clear up. Less anxiety (although evening is worse for me). I was able to leave the bedroom for several hours today, but this digestive stuff keeps you close to home.

Currently, taking my multimineral, multivitamin, magnesium, potassium, DLPA, B6, Sublingual B-vitamins w/ a lot of B12, fish oil and naproxen for body pain. Getting extra calcium through milk as all I'm eating are protein shakes with some peanut butter in them. Every time I attempt to eat something solid, the 'situation' gets much worse.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're doing everything right buddy. Sorry about the stomach issues.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It seems like I have been doing things right, indeed. I thought it would be much worse after being on the meds for so long, but it's not so bad. If a person is on meds because of pain, there is obviously a fear of the pain returning when off the meds. I keep expecting my back to kill me when I wake up, but the steroid injection is holding good. I don't look forward to feeling that pain again if my injection wears off, but at least I'll feel it for once.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that from you. I too get the steroid injections in my back - unfortunately, they don't last very long. The pain thing - Geez, where do I go with that one... Right now I've gone six weeks with no meds. Do I have back pain? Geezuz YES! *BUT* I've been able to keep it under control. I did something different this time though - first time in 3 years. I decided I was going to try to do this the hard way. I went back to the gym to strengthen and tone. Three years of semi-idleness had taken a toll on my body. I'm sure all the muscle atrophy hasn't helped, neither did adding an extra 20lbs either.
I told myself I was going to give myself 60 days to change things.
Has the diet, nutrition, and exercise helped? Well, yeah it has. As I sit here and write this, My back is hurting... But I choose to not trade one pain for another. My pain is not excruciating right now but I don't feel like dancing either. Especially after a 2 hour workout today!
Now, Am I going to say I'll never take any more meds? Nope, can't say that because I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, next week, or next month. All I know is what I'm doing today. I know, old cliche but that's the way it is for me.
I have a saying on this board, "It's now what you did yesterday but what you do next". Basically, I'm taking this as it comes and as long as I can do what I'm doing now, then I know there is a future for me.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We are in much the same place. I realize the extent of my injury and that this is a major uphill battle since spines begin to degenerate, etc. I also cannot say that I'm not taking the meds again. There is a half a script in my drawer. Haven't taken even a sliver since my jump date (and am not even tempted) but if my back pain goes into the acute phase again and I can't get to the doc for two weeks, they will help me do things like get up and go to the bathroom. As simple as that sounds, just going to the other room, even taking a step when my injury is in acute mode, is impossible because of the pain. In its chronic phase, whatever, I can deal with it without opiates.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm with both you, Ivan and Going, I cannot bring myself to tell my doctor to stop prescribing the pain meds, but what I can do is leave them at the pharmacy until the pain cannot be helped with tylenol (That's all I can take due to being on Coumadin).

I can get my refill called in next week, that's gonna be tough not to just automatically get those pills in my little hands, but I'm determined to put some distance there. I want to take the time to really see if my pain is physical or emotional and what kind of treatment that warrants.

~Pandie
Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm actually glad I was on Oxy and not hydros, b/c there aren't refills on Oxy. Hence, I need to go in and be re-evaluated for pain now that I have chosen to go off (and even call and talk to the PA before taking what I still have at home). I'm on board for all this supervision through pain management doctors. The constant reality of a UA has always kept me in check.

Maybe you could tell your doc 'no more refills' and even have him call your pharmacy and take the refills away. I know if you have a script in hand, you can have it "wasted" by your PM doc. There is a bit of paperwork, but it is possible.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm essentially in the same boat. I can call my Pain mgm doctor tomorrow morning and have pills by noon. It's that easy *BUT* I'll be at the gym at noon tomorrow instead.
Non addicts always talk about people having a "choice". Well.... They can say that because they AREN'T ADDICTS!!!!!!
I'm forcing myself to get myself past the point of the desire and addiction to make that "choice". Of course, I'm not going to get to that point unless I do the hard things to get there. I'm six weeks out and I know I can't make that choice yet. Of course, my pain is manageable right now despite needing some help with sleep (back pain makes me toss and turn).
On the bright side though, I am rather enjoying the fact that I can laugh, have emotions, drive without worry, have enjoyable sex, no constant indigestion, have dreams, go to the restroom on a "regular" basis, remember things, etc...
I know that if I take 1 pill, I'm going to take two then three. Then, 2 weeks later I'll be right back to day one and feeling miserable despite the fact I have more pills.

Now, let's throw into the mix the fact I started seeing a shrink last month. That alone has made things allot better! As a matter of fact I MIGHT be taking medication to address an ADHD diagnosis- which explains my lifelong need for excitement and compulsions. Might that is. I know I can't take those meds with pain meds. Yeah, I know - that opens a whole other can of worms but as I said in the last post, I'm taking this whole thing one day at a time.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Be careful with those as well, esp. if you have an addictive personality. Way back in the 90s, I often consumed something that is very close in composition to Adderall, but stronger. From what I've heard Adderall can be very addicting as well. Not to mention, I have had students in my university classroom, tell me that the work I assign is no problem once they rail a couple of Ritalin.

Sorry, I sound more like a mother, but just so its clear, I'm not a doctor and this is not a doctor's advice.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And, I'll take small issue with your remark about the "choice" and "addicts" comment. Many people who are physically dependent (to a point) don't have much of a choice either. I'd actually hesitate to say that I'm an addict, but would wholeheartedly affirm that I've been dependent upon opiates for a year, but my behavior has not displayed the signs of addiction: no doctor shopping, no stockpiling meds, no taking meds outside of parameters of the prescription. I'm just saying this because being in pain management and on pain meds does not necessarily make one an addict imo. I want to make that clear in case someone who actually needs the meds needs to go to a PM doc. If they are in genuine pain, they should go without fear of automatically becoming an opiate addict. The docs out my way monitor us pretty closely.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And, sorry but this wades into my professional waters and it has been bothering me on a conceptual level (although it may certainly characterize how you feel and I respect that).

forcing oneself = choice (of some kind). You are only choiceless if you don't have the autonomy to force yourself. There is always a choice. The question is the consequence.

For fun, google 'Harry Frankfurt' and 'Freedom of the will and the concept of a person' or something like that. If you can link to this piece online, it will probably be a dead give away about my academic field of specialty.

Last edited by goingtokicksoon; 02-12-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Awful grammar/punctuation
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Without details, I wholeheartedly agree with Ivan about the sex factor. Pain pills are libido killers.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goingtokicksoon View Post
Without details, I wholeheartedly agree with Ivan about the sex factor. Pain pills are libido killers.
Absolutely agree! Yet another reason to get rid of 'em! Not to be indelicate, but my spouse is really enjoying reaping the benefits of my quitting.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hehe. I just hope my wife doesn't get pregnant again soon because of this benefit of detoxing. We just got our first to his first birthday (on 18th) and want to give him some time before initiating him into birth order psychology and all the related issues that spring from being the eldest when the new baby arrives.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

oooops

Last edited by keltie; 02-13-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: double post