Notices

Bi-Polar and Addiction

Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bi-Polar and Addiction

Just wondering how someone might be able to conquer drug addiction along with being bi-polar? It's as if one is not bad enough....but now you have 2 demons to battle. Any suggestions....advice?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

I saw a psychiatrist and a medical doctor who then placed me on the proper medication in order to address both problems. It took some trial and error, but we finally got the right medication combination for me and I've never felt better. Best of luck to you. I understand the agony you are going through, but I promise you there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Snickle...how long or how many different meds did it take before you found the right ones that worked for you? Just curious...
Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Once I was completely honest about how much I was drinking it did not take long at all. My problem was seeing only a medical doctor and telling him I was only drinking half as much as I actually was. Obviously he couldn't help me that way. After being hospitalized, I spoke with a psychiatrist and was totally honest. He prescribed something for the withdrawal and anxiety which was non-addictive and something to level out my moods. Within two weeks I felt normal. I've taking them for a year now and am living a normal life. Just be honest no matter how ugly you think it is. Let them help you.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed as bipolar after a hospitalization in 2003. When released from the hospital, I was put on a cocktail of Seroquel, Depakote, and Zyprexa. I put on 20 lbs and could hardly get out of bed. I stopped taking the medication and started using again - moderately at first, but then increasing over time. I had 2-3 more severe manic episodes which could have warranted hospitalization between 2003 - 2007. During these bouts of mania, I was consuming large amounts of drugs - stimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, and modafinil, along with large amounts of marijuana (1/4 - 1/2 oz per day). After the last episode, I really got freaked out -- I did a lot of embarrassing things that I wish I could forget.

I still struggle with the bipolar diagnosis in the sense that I want to think these episodes were caused by heavy drug use. A couple doctor's have agreed with this assessment. I currently don't take any medication and haven't had an manic episodes since my last major event in 2007. I do not advise anyone to try this without consulting a doctor - this is just what has been working for me. What has helped immensely is not using drugs (recreational drugs). Regardless of whether or not my bipolarity is severe, I know that by not continuing to use I will be more stable regardless. I exercise regularly, eat a pretty strict Paleo diet and supplement with fish oil, and meet regularly with a therapist.

My cousin has been in AA for about 6 years now, and prior to that he was in an out of mental hospitals frequently. His advice to me was to get clean first, because that is the biggest factor you have control over when it comes to stabilizing mentally. He's doing really well now (finishing up his master's degree and working as a school therapist) and he credits a lot of that with giving up drinking.

Bottom line: For me personally and others that I know, abstaining completely from drugs and alcohol has significantly reduced/eliminated the manic episodes I used to experience. Frequent exercise and a diet of whole, unprocessed foods has helped me significantly also.

PM me if you need any other input, best of luck!