Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Been getting real stressed out in the last week

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 03:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Dad's Aunty is on her death bed, my Mum was in hospital a couple days ago for chest pain and going for a full day tomorrow to the hospital to check the heart properly. My Dad is stressed to the max and in turn making me anxious. I've had to take more benzo's today to cope with everything lately which are prescribed but it's better taking them than feeling like crap. I'm 4 and a half months sober I'm an alcoholic and had a history of drug use when I was younger. I suppose this is just usual everyday life but it's feeling hard right now. I'm also due to go on holidays in a week's time first time on a plane in years couldn't go before because of anxiety. I've not been answering my phone lately because quite frankly I can't be bothered talking to anyone. I feel kind of alone in this as my mum and Dad are having there own meltdown's so I'm doing the best I can at the moment. Even considering getting my anti-depressant dose increased that's all i can do at the moment.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi checkmate,

I was wondering how you were doing.

Life does throw you curve balls. And they will keep coming. I remember before I quit opiates last year, I kept waiting for the "right time", thinking it would be easier to quit if I weren't in the middle of a crisis.

That is true. But instead I picked the week before Christmas. Always a stressful time for me anyway. I remember I quit that week because I scared myself with an almost overdose. After that, it didn't matter what week or what crisis was happening any more.

Having said that, I think on your current situation, and I am glad for you that this isn't your first week, or even first month clean. Getting sober is a hard thing to do under the best of circumstances. You don't need a lousy week, bad crisis stuff, or other monkey wrenches thrown into the works.

You need to be good to yourself right now, and that includes using the tools prescribed for you to cope. The benzos are prescribed for you. You aren't self medicating. As long as you take what you have been prescribed they way they were prescribed, you should be okay. If you are taking too many, ask your doc what to do. Then do it.

Anxiety is pretty common anyway in recovery. Some of it I think you should just allow yourself to experience, because anxiety happens. Sh!t happens. You let yourself get anxious, examine it, look at it, question it. After you do that, and if it still doesn't pass, then you do something else. You have the medical help you need, so fall back on that. Just don't self medicate and I think you will be okay.

Right now, you are being asked to be the strong one, at a time you may not feel all that strong. That happens to the best of us. You are still in recovery, and you should treasure that, guard it, take care of it. I'm glad you came on the forum today to talk about it.

I still think you are doing a fantastic job. Like I said before, grab it and run with it, and don't look back. This crisis does not have to be a deal breaker.

FT