Notices

PTSD and Anger

Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Exclamation PTSD and Anger

I don't know what took me so long to get on task with my anger and how it relates to my PTSD. I react, unfortunately to a particular narrow PTSD symptom trigger. I can avoid this trigger easily enough in my day to day life. In fact, typical daily life will not effected one little bit if I don't go out of my way to be triggered.

Seems simple, yet I have been going out of my way to expose myself to this trigger in a hope I will become desensitized to such. If I wasn't nuts already, my self-treatment method of: 'what the hell was I thinking' desensitization technique is driving me nuts.

I have to know my limitations. I can not be involved in this triggering no matter what. I will be aware and be cautious where I post on SR.

This is a great recovery site, The Mods/Admin of SR have given so much leeway for me to learn. I am so grateful for the learning opportunity . I'm a greeter at Secular and I need to keep my nose out of a few forums here and just stick with what helps, not only for me but for others on this wonderful site.

Sorry for rambling on, yet it dose help to vent a bit.

What anger management sites, resources, insight might you share with me. All comments are welcome, but secular suggestions would be best.

Thanks everybody...
Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Zencat, I guess PTSD is kinda like addiction and a lot of things--different manifestations for different folks. I too am blessed with PTSD but for me one of my things is difficulty recognizing and expressing my anger. I guess I learned anger and I guess a lot of my emotions were "bad" or "wrong" so I just kept things in and choked on the emotional bile. Probably one reason I got interested in Buddhism, I first saw it as passive. I thought drinking helped too because it let me let my emotions loose. I agree SR's a great site, I think the best I'm familiar with. Speaking for me I appreciate your participation. As to helpful resources on anger management I can't help you there. If you or anyone know resources that assists one in healthfully expressing their true emotions I'd be interested.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Zencat, I guess PTSD is kinda like addiction and a lot of things--different manifestations for different folks.
As with addiction, mental illness is insidious too. It creeps up on me when I think I'm fully aware of whats going on. But OH NO, my awareness it tempered with madness. A slow slide into the abyss of past maladaptive behaviors. Behaviors honed on darkness and uncontrollable impulses to act out. And just as slowly as I fall into the pit of mental illness symptoms...awareness of the reverse course from symptoms into the light of progress is embarrassingly slow.

Addiction recovery is an easy nut to crack for me. A cracked nut in sobriety...not so easy.

What to do? Keep practicing better wellness actions/mind-sets. Be patient with myself. Expect the ebb of life will have flows of 'in and out' of total control. Do Not Quit (thanks Rusty) no matter what.

Originally Posted by MCF
As to helpful resources on anger management I can't help you there. If you or anyone know resources that assists one in healthfully expressing their true emotions I'd be interested.
Will be looking into that myself...thanks McoolFitz
Old 07-16-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey Zen!

I read a book once about anger that I found really helpful at the time. I think it's titled "The Dance with Anger". I don't remember whether or not it specifically addressed PTSD, but the take home message for me was: Anger is just an emotion like any other. There is no right or wrong to it. It's what we do with the anger that can get us in trouble. It had a lot of practical suggestions for channeling anger, if I recall.

Sorry you are struggling. Hugs, HG
Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey Zen from my limited knowledge i understand that PTSD is something that requires professional help fairly often. anyway you could see a Doctor or therapist? i always am surprised at how little i understand..
Old 07-16-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Funny, one time I was able to identify my angry emotions was when I was seeing a therapist to be treated for my PTSD. Prior to his PHd in psychiarity he had been a lifer, a drill instructor. He kept yawning and looking around the room. I finally told him I'd leave so as not to disturb his rest. Pretty gutsy for me--I guess he helped.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
Addiction recovery is an easy nut to crack for me. A cracked nut in sobriety...not so easy.
I could not have said that better myself, what a perfect analogy.

As far as the anger with PTSD, it blindsided me in sobriety and took years to figure out. Although I would never dream of actually hurting another person I had people afraid of me because of the extreme anger outbursts. For a while I was able to deal with them by exercise, I have a boxing dummy and that worked well. That actually scared them more because of the anger I would take out on it. But with the other mental health issues tied to all this exercise has become a thing of the past and only a dream for the future. Currently what seems to be doing the most for managing it is the latest meds we have tried for the PTSD. My doc put me on an old blood pressure med called Prozasin. It was helping with the symptoms of the PTSD, such as the anger, nightmares, etc...but then when it was raised to a therapuetic level I had a reaction to it and was unable to continue the med. My doctor has switched me to another blood pressure med that has been shown useful in PTSD. We shall see whether it works or not. I have seen some improvements in flashbacks with it though.

Try to remember you are not alone here.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24hrsAday View Post
hey Zen from my limited knowledge i understand that PTSD is something that requires professional help fairly often. anyway you could see a Doctor or therapist? i always am surprised at how little i understand..
Thanks 24.

I get help from the county mental health center. That is I have a pdoc, CBT therapist and PTSD group to go to.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I now know what PTSD realy is, I was in an abusive place called "fort lauderdale hospital" subject to incarceration against my will and coerced medication. I say coerced cause i complained of nasty side effects and my freedom depended on me putting something in my body I didnt want (rape) !

I think the intense fear I felt lead to the anger and nightmares I had and might still have ,if I replay this in my head b4 bed

I dont belive the anger is related to my feelings toward abuse and the right of bodily itegrity.

The fear was these pills are making me sick and they threatend "injectable form" I was scared I couldnt handle 600mg single seraquel dose to comply with my captors, I knew I would get realy sick or die !

I landed in this place from drinking vodka and needed detox, I did not want to start on the road of psychiatric drugs (again). Vodka is a bad think 4 me !

The fear post the drama lead me to download this and fill it out, not the anger.

Psychiatric "Living Will"
(Letter of protection from Psychiatric Incarceration and/or treatment)

The following declaration should be signed and, where possible witnessed, by a notary public, a trusted family member and/or confidante. Make several copies of the document with each copy notarized. Give one copy to each of the person(s) named below; make sure one of these is an attorney. Always keep a copy of this document with you in case there is an attempt to involuntarily or compulsorily hospitalize and/or treat you. Should you be in a position where you are to be subject to unwanted psychiatric hospitalization and/or mental or medical treatment, ensure that the person(s) attempting such are shown and are aware of this signed and notarized declaration. Immediately let your attorney and all other persons in your confidence know so that they may come to your aid. During any attempt at compulsory hospitalization or treatment by another, repeatedly declare your desire for a clarification of your condition of physical health. Explain that you wish to have this declaration abided by, however, do not resist or become aggressive. Demand to see an attorney.

A copy of your signed declaration should also be sent to the local or international branch of the Citizens Commission on Human Rights ® (CCHR ®). The International address is: CCHR, 6616 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, California, United States, 90028.
Declaration of Intention

I,__________________________________ , born on ______________________________

in __________________________________ , address ______________________________

being of sound mind, willfully and voluntarily make known my desire that should it be so considered or decided that I be subject to involuntary incarceration or hospitalization (also known as committal and certification) in a psychiatric hospital, ward, facility, home or nursing home, and/or that I be subject to psychiatric procedures including, but not limited to, any form of psychosurgical or neurological operation such as lobotomy or leukotomy, electro-convulsive treatment (also known as electroshock or shock treatment or ECT), psychotropic drugs (including benzodiazepines, major tranquilizers, antidepressants, barbiturates or neuroleptics generally), deep sleep treatment (narcosis, narcosynthesis, sleep therapy, prolonged narcosis, modified narcosis or neuroleptization), sterilization, insulin shock or any other physical based psychiatric or psychological treatment or practice; I direct that such incarceration, hospitalization, treatment or procedures not be imposed, committed or used on me.

I refuse contact with and treatment by any psychiatrist, psychologist or other mental health practitioner as these practices, according to my philosophic and/or religious convictions, do not adequately or properly diagnose and such diagnoses as are given can constitute a false accusation about my behavior and/or beliefs and practices, and are stigmatizing and therefore a threat to my reputation and physical and mental well-being. Any of their treatments, given against my express wish, are an intrusion upon and thus an assault on my body and constitute, in my view, criminal assault. Any involuntary hospitalization or commitment is a violation of my right to liberty and would therefore constitute a false imprisonment by all those advocating and authorizing such action against my consent and wishes. If in the future, I am accused of a crime, then I direct that I be subjected to due process as accorded to the criminally accused and not subjected to psychiatric or psychological assessment, processing, profile, confinement or treatments.

Declaration of intention: Page 2__________________

Name

Among other situations, the above directions and positions apply in any case where my capacity or ability to give instructions may be or may be claimed to be impaired, or should I be in a state of unconsciousness, or should my communication in an actual and legal sense be impossible, or where any psychiatrist, psychologist, mental health practitioner, or law enforcement official or person asserts that the matter is a "life-saving" situation requiring emergency intervention and/or treatment under any involuntary commitment law or similar legal authority.

In the absence of my ability to give further directions regarding the above, it is my intention that this declaration be honored by my family and physician(s) as an expression of my legal right to refuse medical, psychological, psychiatric or surgical treatment.

The attorney(s) and other person(s) mentioned below are appointed and authorized to institute appropriate proceedings on my behalf should the above declaration be violated, and have my permission herewith to proceed with whatever criminal and/or civil procedures necessary to rectify such a violation.

I herewith authorize the following attorney(s) and other person(s) with the enforcement of this declaration of intention:

_____________________________ _____________________________

All medical doctors and their organizations as well as therapists are expressly released from their professional discretion or confidentiality towards provision of information to the above named attorney(s) and other person(s).

This declaration is also binding for my lawful agents, guardians, family, executors or any person with the legal or other right to take care of me or my affairs.

Signed Date

Address:

______________________________ _____________________________

Signature of Notary/Justice of the Name of Notary

Peace/attorney etc.

Before me on this date (date Notary At (place where signature is

witnessed the signature) witnessed/notarized)

Last edited by AkathisiA; 08-24-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have also been diagnosed with PTSD. And I am also frustrated at the lack of help/ information out there! I saw a PTSD psychologist, but felt like I was listening to her all the time, when really I have been looking for a long time for somewhere I can TALK!!!
I have often thought if you hired out a padded room and got people to tell you the things that have been said to them and happened to them that have driven them crazy, got them to go into the room and repeated these things to them so they could actually physically go crazy in a supported environment, it would be a wonderful thing!
That is what I long for! It's so hard to go through horrible things that you know you can't talk about and still get on the morning train to work, still have conversations about the weather, and still answer "I'm good" when someone asks how are you.
To be honest, I'm a bit over the psychological world. I've realised, I think, that they really don't know! But there seems to be nowhere else to turn to )-: