Notices

Soma withdrawal

Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Soma withdrawal

I have been using soma for 6months now for a bad back. My back is better, thanks to minor surgery and P.T. I was using 2 to 3 a day for 3 months or so, and the last 3 months have been abusing them, up to 6 a day.

Extensive research on the net as to severity of withdrawal is a mixed bag. Some say mostly psychological, some say physical, and both. Has anyone come off an escalating habit of soma? I did a wicked benzo taper 12 yrs ago, and i pray it doesnt last as long as the benzos did.

I am ashamed this has happened. I can be better. I want my sobriety and freedom back.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To my fellow Georgian: Yes, I have used and abused Soma in the past. Much worse than you. Ordered on-line when pharmacies were still shipping to GA and took up to 12 to 15 a day at one point. I can only tell you the differences from opiate withdrawal after fairly heavy use (my recent situation with codeine, now in recovery for over 4 months) and Soma withdrawal. Opiate withdrawal lasts a long time and has lots of strong symptoms. I have also heard the same with benzos, but never absued these, but obviously you have lived that story.
With Soma, you may have some gastro-intestinal minor issues, a little trouble sleeping, feel like you have a clogged throat the first day or two and minor blurred vision. We cannot give medical advice or expert opinions on this site, but I went on and off Soma for years at a much higher dose than you and these were the only symptoms I had and they passed in a day or two. Of course, everyone's body chemistry is different. I would suggest you try to taper to reduce any of these physical symptoms - worked for me.
Regarding psychological, yes, to me that was the strongest draw. I actually had my addict mind convinced years ago when I came off Vicodin that I would substitute Soma since it was not a controlled substance, but had a similar effect. Since then, it is now controlled in some states due to abuse tendencies . . . just like mine.
Good luck to you. Continue to post and let us know how you are doing.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, I did some heavy-duty soma action. I was doing a LOT more than you and for a very long time. The physical and mental effects while I was using were devastating. Finally - I just had to stop - I looked in the mirror and what I saw was not me. I was sick, too thin, and looked so old. I was afraid of the detox, too. But the detox was nothing compared to the fear of detox. In fact (although it's been about 15 or so years), I don't remember any remarkable physical effects from detox. The emotional and psychological effects were pretty strong, I wanted to take more....and that lasted maybe a couple of months. Otherwise I had no problem letting go.

The fear of feeling again probably played a part in not wanting to take them. But I was sooooo sad when I was "high" on them. Not logical, but still true. Since getting off them, I haven't really even thought of using them. And I can feel again....which really isn't all so bad.

I do agree, however, the negative effects far outweigh the positive - this drug just isn't necessary. There are so many better muscle relaxers out there - soma is too dangerous, in my opinion.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Mostly psychological.