Notices

Generic Zoloft is making me fat!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Generic Zoloft is making me fat!

Hi all. I have been taking sertraline for about 6 or 8 months now and it has helped me quite a bit for OCD and depression but I am determined to quit because it's making me gain weight! I used to lose weight like crazy when on this stuff and now I have packed on 15-20 pounds- and it feels as if it happened over night. So now, I am in the situation where my weight gain is making me sad and uncomfortable with myself. I can't wait to be pill free! I better start doing my homework on natural approaches and drug free approaches to handling my situation. None of my clothes fit!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

I can relate. I was on a different kind of drug for about six months earlier this year, Seroquel, and from the time I started I put twenty pounds on, which is unheard for me. I've been off it for a while but the weight is sticking around.

On the positive side, it's a constant reminder that I need to get more active. Exercise is not only good for the waistline but also good for mental health too. My psychiatrist used to keep reminding me that if I started running again I'd probably get much better results than from the pill she was prescribing me.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when I was prescribed Zoloft for my depression, I developed a very sacred relationship with Ben&Jerry ice cream and gained over 6lbs. one week and about 5lbs a week after that.

(talk about feeling depressed when i stepped on the scale)!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Misanthrope

My meds got changed too...I think I have gained weight from them as well. It sucks big time!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in the process of getting off of this stuff. The OCD is creeping back and I am fighting it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sleepie,
I was on the max dose of Zoloft for quite awhile. I gained alot of weight. My doctor informed me that I should lose weight from the med not gain . I found a different doctor who put me on a different med and I was able to lose the weight.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to know. I am at the maximum dose- or was until I started taking half a few days ago.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I lost weight on zoloft

All these meds have side effects. It is tough to navigate through it. I feel for you, sleepie
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got prescribed Celexa and haven't started it yet because I've been sick. I had been on Effexor back a couple of years ago but stopped because I felt robotic. I was driving by my exits and just oh well... but I really want to be a bit more mellow. I tried to get back on Effexor twice but had serious panic attacks and side effects. I gave up on it. Hoping Celexa stops the anxiety and the OCD. I don't feel that depressed just anxious. I don't know if anyone has had problems with Celexa. I know Effexor had me losing weight. I was mellow and manic at the same time.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
I can relate. I was on a different kind of drug for about six months earlier this year, Seroquel, and from the time I started I put twenty pounds on, which is unheard for me. I've been off it for a while but the weight is sticking around.

On the positive side, it's a constant reminder that I need to get more active. Exercise is not only good for the waistline but also good for mental health too. My psychiatrist used to keep reminding me that if I started running again I'd probably get much better results than from the pill she was prescribing me.
I was on Seroquel as well and gained around 30lbs. Iv'e been off it for 3-4 months and have lost 25lbs already! It feels great. Yes, exercise is good for both mental and physical health. Sometimes I have to force myself to go to the gym but always feel great when I leave the place....
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on zoloft (sertraline) for over ten years and never gained weight, I lost weight, which for me is not good. It took care of the depression tho and gave me incredible energy. Go figure... I think it's just different for different people and depends on individual metabolism too. Maybe why some lose weight and some gain. I'd ask your doctor to try you on something else, there's a lot out there, until you find what's right for you. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Seroquel has made me gain so much weight; I don't even go on the scale anymore. I can tell by the way my clothes fit me.

I have been on it for a while; maybe two years. I was thinking about asking my dr. next visit to take me off of it.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started Prozac a year ago and lost 20 lbs. Ive been off for a month and I've gained 35lbs and am hungry like no other all the time.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sara, I was on the max dose too- maybe that's why the weight gain