Notices

finally on my med

Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finally on my med

I waited 2 months for my appt to see the doc about getting some relief for my fear of driving on the interstates, it's incapacitating. I have a good deal of fear about getting back on any drug again. I feel great off all of them but just when I drive or somebody else drives, I feel very very fearful to the point of panic attacks.

So I started taking the anti-d today and I'm even worried about it. The last time I tried to take this med I felt horrible, I wound up in the ER. The dose was way too high to be starting out, so this time I went to a professional in the pysch business, not just a gp. I admit I was very tense taking this pill this am, praying this would not cause adverse side affects and so far so good, I feel just a tiny bit foggy nothing bad, tiny headache but it's not worse yet than a sinus headache. So far so good, I am starting to relax.
My family wants me back on anti-d's because it does seem to help with pms symptoms. I know in the past my co-workers did not drive me nearly as nuts, I wasn't as sensitive as I am now without it.

I just feel like I'm cheating though to have to take something daily to cope. And I wish this was a drug I could take just when I needed it but anti-d's don't work that way. I feel like I should have keep facing my fear and dealing with my fear without drugs but a small part of me realizes that I have no control over it, it hits it's there and I'm in it. I do drive on the interstate but I'm not happy till I get off on my exits. So I am facing my fears, they aren't getting any better by facing them. So maybe this drug I'm started on for generalized anxiety will make the difference again. it worked once but I took myself off it and my little stint of trying to go back on was a disaster. So far so good today.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wait!

You only have to get through today, ok? Keep your focus on today because you are powerless over yesterday and tomorrow.

If an adverse reaction comes up, call the doctor immediately.

I hope you can reel your mind back in from all the fear.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I just feel like I'm cheating though to have to take something daily to cope.
I look at it this way. I have a medical illness that the best treatment (and I tried them all) for this condition been psychiatric medication. I have all to often gone off my medication wile I was feeling good, only to crash and burn latter. I don't feel that somehow I'm taking the easy out because I properly use med's to stay sane. And I know that society at large is better off that I do have effective treatments for my condition.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I made it without the bad bad side effects. I've felt foggy, dizzy, and nauseous all day long along with feeling hot and cold.. weirdly it feels like drug withdrawls.

I know zencat I was hoping I could 12 step my fears, some small part of me feels I should have white knuckled it a bit longer, I know I'm hard on myself and I do believe once back on this med my family will be able to cope better with my fears. I hope that these mild side effects get better, I can stand pain over feeling sick to my stomach.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup, take it one day at a time. Make sure you take it as prescribed, that is esp important with psych meds. Definately tell you doc if the side effects don't go away. (I sound like a tv commercial don't I).