Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Anyone experienced "ice pick headaches" when changing SSRI dose?

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

I just started going down on my Lexapro dose (15 mg to 12.5, with the eventual plan to reach 10 mg). Experiencing a lot of "ice pick headaches" today (short "flashes" of intense pain--like a lightning bolt shooting through your head--intensely painful, but only last a few seconds). I've had these headches all my life and have been assured they're harmless, just painful and annoying when they happen. My doc said they are also fairly common when changing dosages and are sometimes referred to as "brain zaps". Anyone else experienced this? I also get migraines from time to time, but this isn't a migraine.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, though with me, it moreso has to do with missing doses or having them decreased drastically.

My nurse explained it in terms of electronic signals being abruptly sent to the brain in response to sudden serotonin decreases. I don't know what causes the signals to be sent or why they are sent.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got hose brain zaps when I came off of Effexor.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also got brain zaps coming off Effexor as a teenager. Nasty stuff that, lots of bad side effects.

Looking on wiki here it says Effexor is an SNRI though, not an SSRI. I was on Prozac too (SSRI) after Effexor and while I didn't experience the brain zaps my legs twitched constantly and I had freakish, unnatural nightmares every night.

I had to stop taking them because of all the side effects. I hope you can find something that helps you, I know it's difficult.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I guess I been fortunate not to have brain zaps when changing or coming off antidepressant's. They sound awful.