Notices

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Anyone else on here with OCD. I have been diagnosed with OCD since I was 16 years old (now 22). Though it affected me long before I was diagnosed aswell. I tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy once and it didn't work, second time around, since last year has been a lot better. But finances means appointments with the psych aren't often.

Anyway, i medicated with alcohol since I was about 17. It was moderate first. I remember when a bottle of vodka used to last me about 3 weeks, now I could get through one in a day. I moved from vodka to casks of wine. After dinner I would retreat to my room and have a big glass or two of wine. This is when I lived at my parents house.

Once I moved out with my now fiance, I could much openly consumer alcohol and my fiance knew I was suffering with the OCD. Last year I was self-harming a lot because it got that bad. Late last year I started taking Zoloft. And my descent into full-blown alcoholism seems to coincide with that. I know Zoloft made me more anxious when I first started taking it and that got better after a while. But the more and more I have been on Zoloft, the more and more I have drank. It is an anti-depressant and alcohol is a depressant, so I know I'm basically doing nothing for myself.

But I don't feel as much anymore. And I'm worried this is why I am on this path. I don't even feel empathy for my own quality of life. I'm in law school and I take my studies very seriously and I do well. And I can't wait to get married and I feel like it's my calling in life to be a mother. So of course the drinking has to go. But i'm not in the financial or life position to have children, that is years away. Have I stopped feeling? If I stopped taking Zoloft or never took it in the first place, would my problem with drinking have escalated to this point. Or was that just inevitable.

Anyone who has OCD or has taken anti-depressants, I would be so grateful for your opinion

xooxo

btw this isn't asking for medical advice, I just want opinions on link between anti-depressants and/or OCD on an emotional level
Old 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have OCD and take generic zoloft. It helps but not entirely. Have you told your Dr. about what's going on? You really should, the more they know- the more they can help you. I also drank away my obsessive worrying and thoughts. It took about 6 weeks to start working and even then it wasn't like I woke up feeling all better one day- it was more like I wasn't making lists all the time, or being late for stuff because of obsessive thoughts. But I still have a little trouble with it. I was hoping to try CBT on my own- I have participated in meditation from time to time and it has been reported to have beneficial effects for OCD- I don't do it often enough to know though! I guess I am getting sober first. I have OCD related self harm issues to. PM me if you like, or need someone to talk to about it. I think I get it.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

or anyone who knows someone who is alcoholic becuse of or contribute by OCD. opinions anywhere, I'm so lost on this one
Old 06-30-2010, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic addict with OCD. I was on antidepressants for depression but they helped the OCD too. The numb feeling you have, I had that too. I stopped taking them because of it. I went into AA and NA and wanted to feel again for some weird reason so I stopped taking them.
I don't think your drinking is because of the antidepressants. You're probably an alcoholic and need help for that. Fighting an addiction with drugs isn't going to work.
I remember my doctor saying I needed to stop drinking and using drugs if I was going to be on the antidepressants (I didn't and didn't want to but I told him I would stop) or else it wouldn't really help me.

I duno, my advice, if you want to feel things again would be to stop drinking, go to AA (or whatever, I think AA is best though) talk to your theripist about it all too. He/she will be able to give you the meds or other treatment you need to help you with the OCD but stop self medicating with the booze, its not helping for sure.
I think with antidepressants you'll always be kinda IN a cloud. Maybe that was just because I was drinking drugging and taking them though, who knows.