Notices

The Masks Have to Go

Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Masks Have to Go

What's up!!
My name is noahamin. I was asked to speak at a recovery "Speaker-thon" on Thanksgiving on the topic "The Masks Have to Go". This is a phrase that is also found in the Narcotics Anonymous basic text. Does anyone have some feedback on this topic?:wtf2
Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Kowledge of and acceptanceof self!

This disease is called , Alcohol-ISM, therefore the consumption of alcohol is but a symptom, it is the -ISMS that are the problem.
It is a universaly accepted, but unwritten law of Psychology that people, places and organisations , will always try to blame or,'scapegoat' others forour own inadequacies.

Until we make a real effort to really accept and truly know our true selves this situation will always exist and the problems that accompany it remain.

Therefore, in dealing with alcoholism,'the masks have to go,' and this applies to all parties involved, whether it be the individual(s) pouring alcohol down their throats or their family and friends, including work colleagues, if they still have a job, so that they in turn don't become enablers.

Alcoholism is an illness of ignorance, affecting all those who touch it at whatever level, so,'the masks have to go' and everyone involved has to accept it and move on , living in recovery and the acceptance of, and reality that it brings. Approached and enacted on properly this brings benefits to all! Mike W.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mike!

I really got a lot out of your comment on "the masks have to go". I was able to put in perspective the reality of acceptance. The truth. Now there is a valuable antidote to our diseased thinking.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

An illness of ignorance.

Warming to the theme of your talk, perhaps the following might be useful . . . . . . .,

The,'Big Book' says,'Remember we deal with alcohol, cunning, baffling powerful', it is then worth bearing in mind that it is the only illness which will tell you, you haven't got it, this applies not only to the sufferer but to those who have contact with that person, family, friends, employers etc., therefore from everyones' perspective to properly understand this illness ,'the masks have to come off' to gain a realistic view of the illness itself and the consequences of it so that the pain and suffering it causes to all who come in contact with it can be negated. Alcoholism is a disease of ignorance! Mike W.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My own experience is that when I drank, I put on quite a performance. Mostly trying to appear sober. It did feel exactly like wearing a mask. I put on a happy face and laughed or tried to be serious, whatever the situation seemed to call for.
But everything was filtered through that mask.
It feels wonderful not to have to worry if someone notices I'm acting a little strange; I don't have to concentrate so I won't slur my words; I don't have to try not to seem overly happy or overly whatever.
I feel so much more at ease and "real" with people now.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Soungs about right ter me!

The problem appears to be, that in a,'dinking culture' everybody ,'puts on a mask', it's what you take home with you that matters, and then how you face reality, or do you continue the performance with all the chaos that ensues which in itself ensures that ,the reality is,'the masks have to go'!