Notices

Doctors visit - More benzos

Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctors visit - More benzos

After a long chat with the doctor, and trying to fill in as many details in Japanese as possible, the doctor has decided that the Paxil is working for what it's supposed to do which is prevent panic attacks. However, the anxiety and constant worry about health is best handled with benzos in his opinion. He figures that, like before, if I can get a grip on things happening in my life I can slowly cut them (the benzos) out of the picture. For now, it seems that benzos are my friend. He also said that benzos can be taken for life without any long term harmful effects on the body.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be careful. They are terribly addictive.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Red face Dear Davinci2,

I read your post, & I can totally relate to your dilemma with being prescribed Benzos, as I am going to begin taking Xanax, starting tonight, to replace my medicines of choice such as Valium or Diazapam which have been the only type of Benzos I have been prescribed up until now....
The information your Psychiatrist told you was helpful to me, as I was wondering how long I could continue to take Benzos...
I find that Benzos are my best friend when I'm anxious or can't sleep, but I also know that they can be addictive & the patient who is taking them can build up a tolerance to them over time....
They are only addictive if the patient has had a previous history of substance abuse...
I was wondering what type of medicine is Paxil, as I haven't researched this medicine yet...
Is Paxil an anti-depressant?
In case you have never heard of Xanax, it is a type of Benzo....
The only problem I have with benzos is that sometimes I have increased my prescribed dose, depending on how severe my panic & anxiety is during the afternoon/evening....
I went to my Wednesday night Bible Study group last night & I was able to get through the evening on a small dose of only 5 mgs of Valium, which was excellent!!
I also slept like a baby last night, which was great!! I got eight & a half hours of uninterrupted sack time....
God Bless you, Davinci2 & I'm thinking of you....

Last edited by Spacecat; 04-18-2007 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Grammatical Error
Old 04-18-2007, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The benzo is called etizolam. I just looked it up online and apparently it's not approved for sale in the US or Canada. Don't know why. The dose that doctors recommend are 6mg, up to 3 times a day. Right now I take 1mg or sometimes 1.5mgs. According to my doctor, it's a very mild dose. Now my concern is, when I move back to Canada, what does this get replaced with.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear DaVinci2,

I have had the occasional manic episode lately, such as getting overly enthusiastic about my interest in God & how he is working in my life especially when speaking to others who are like-minded in their belief in God....
When I refer to myself as being manic it am referring to racing thoughts & speech, such as talking at a million miles per hour & driving those around me crazy.....
My anxiety has been improving in the last day or two, though & I only had to take 5mgs of Valium last night & 5mg this evening, as well & I feel pretty stable at the moment...
I think I will wean myself slowly off Valium & only take Benzos when I feel a panic attack coming on....
I won't start taking Xanax yet, unless I start having another bout of anxiety & the need arises....
I'm not sure if you answered my question or not, DaVinci2, although I don't want to pry....
Did you say Paxil was a Benzo or an Anti-Depressant, as I am curious to know if this medicine is available in Australia....
The reason I am asking, is, that I am searching for a suitable med that my Psychiatrist could prescribe for me, as an alternative to Benzos......

God Bless you, DaVinci2, as my thoughts & prayers are with you, my dear friend.....

Last edited by Spacecat; 04-19-2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Formatting Error...
Old 04-19-2007, 02:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Paxil is an SSRI. From what I understand (And I could be wrong) it's the strongest of them all. The benzo I take is called etizolam and works well. Not sure if that is available in Oz or not.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

P.S. I said a prayer for you tonight, my friend, DaVinci2, & I hope your day goes well....
Old 04-19-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Paxil is an absolute nightmare to try to get off. I became homicidal and suicidal so be very careful. It was the worst experience of my life!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Spacecat View Post
Dear DaVinci2,

I have had the occasional manic episode lately, such as getting overly enthusiastic about my interest in God & how he is working in my life especially when speaking to others who are like-minded in their belief in God....
When I refer to myself as being manic it am referring to racing thoughts & speech, such as talking at a million miles per hour & driving those around me crazy.....
Some call that a zealous reaction that comes from being filled with so much joy you just have to let it out. I would look at any other possible markers in life that could point to a manic state and just let your enthusiasm for the Lord flow as the Spirit guides you.
Remember the story of the lady at the well.... I am sure she not only ran back into town at full speed but she must have been talking a million miles an hour and driving people crazy as well...."hey you need come see this man I just talked with..."
Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best View Post
Some call that a zealous reaction that comes from being filled with so much joy you just have to let it out. I would look at any other possible markers in life that could point to a manic state and just let your enthusiasm for the Lord flow as the Spirit guides you.
Remember the story of the lady at the well.... I am sure she not only ran back into town at full speed but she must have been talking a million miles an hour and driving people crazy as well...."hey you need come see this man I just talked with..."
Dear Best,

Thankyou my dear friend, for your encouraging words & I totally agree with you.....
I said a prayer for you last night & I pray that the peace of Christ will continually reign in your heart, mind & soul....

God Bless,
Old 04-19-2007, 09:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
Paxil is an absolute nightmare to try to get off. I became homicidal and suicidal so be very careful. It was the worst experience of my life!
When I was on it the first time, it did what it was suppose to and nothing more. I had some minor muscle twitches, but barely noticable (The last time) and came off it cold turkey and only had the 'zaps'. I guess everyone is different...I'd really like to know exactly WHAT it is that makes us all different when it comes to these drugs.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dear DaVinci2,
I was slightly manic, before I started taking Zoloft, but after a period of time my mania increased & I believe it was an allergic reaction to Zoloft based on what I have read about the side-effects of this type of Anti-Depressant...
When I refer to myself as being manic, I don't mean that I am manic-depressive....I am referring to racing thoughts or speech such as talking loudly & at a million words per second....
I have often wondered the same thing, DaVinci2...Why is it that some meds are more suited to some individuals & not to others?
Why do the withdrawal side-effects & symptoms differ according to each individual's body chemistry?
God Bless....
Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Spacecat, Paxil is an antidepressant. Here is the link for you: http://www.paxil.com/

Also, Benzo's are addictive even if you've never had a problem with addiction before. So, you guys/gals please be careful. Take them as directed. Best wishes.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Codieneaddict View Post
Spacecat, Paxil is an antidepressant. Here is the link for you: http://www.paxil.com/

Also, Benzo's are addictive even if you've never had a problem with addiction before. So, you guys/gals please be careful. Take them as directed. Best wishes.
Is there really a physically addiction and mental addiction when it comes to benzos. I so don't want to take them, and I try my best not to until whatever I'm going through becomes unbearable. So I suffer both physically and mentally (I start to shake or feel sick, and I can't focus or it feels like I'm in another world.) and then I take the benzos and BOOM, I'm back to normal and all is well. Even though I know that by taking the benzos it will make me better, I always hope that the feeling will somehow pass and that I will manage without them in certain situations (And have...) At what point do you start to question whether or not you are addicted?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaVinci2 View Post
Is there really a physically addiction and mental addiction when it comes to benzos. I so don't want to take them, and I try my best not to until whatever I'm going through becomes unbearable. So I suffer both physically and mentally (I start to shake or feel sick, and I can't focus or it feels like I'm in another world.) and then I take the benzos and BOOM, I'm back to normal and all is well. Even though I know that by taking the benzos it will make me better, I always hope that the feeling will somehow pass and that I will manage without them in certain situations (And have...) At what point do you start to question whether or not you are addicted?

Physically-You'll go through withdrawal symptoms and mentally-you'll crave them if you stop taking them. But please never just stop without talking with your doctor FIRST.

You should check out the 'Substance abuse' forum. There are a lot of stories over there about Benzo addiction.

Take care