Notices

First Anxiety attack

Old 09-04-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Anxiety attack

And hopefully last. Was stressing about work--thought-- I got this and proceeded to do some relaxation stuff and yoga breathing. It was a wake up in the middle of the night thing. Wasn't really feeling it so decided to do some wicca (an old old habit I still call upon time to time)-- cast a circle, meditate sort of thing. Started having trouble breathing and definitely couldn't sleep. I've never had trouble breathing like that and thought that an anxiety attack was what it was just from general knowledge..was able to eventually go back to sleep. Did a little research the next am and definitely was anxiety (not panic) attack. Read some more out of an anxiety book I'd almost finished a few months ago and sure enough, about 10 pages in-- I read how you can't Force yourself to relax. It has to be it's own thing basically. And that's what I was trying to do I guess. At any rate it looks like I still have a lot to learn...
Old 09-05-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I have anxiety attacks as well. Not often, but occasionally. I can usually keep myself from going too deep into them by relaxing and deep, controlled breathing. My therapist also suggested visualizing myself somewhere else, a beach, etc.

They can be scary. The first couple of times I tried to call 911 as I was afraid I was dying or having a stroke or something and I couldn't move to reach the phone. Now I am pretty sure I will come out of them so I just relax and control my breathing until it stops. I am hoping you don't have any more.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try breathing exercises & mindfulness meditation it really helps I suffer panic attacks and this helps with that

here's a link to breathing exercises

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - @AnxietySlayer
Old 09-08-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear BF: I know a couple of friends who can handle the pagan and wicca practices and not run into problems. But the majority of the people I know who dabble in it, end up with a consistent pattern of attracting negative energy, people and recurring attacks. Some friends got them so bad, they had to quit altogether. Be very careful and listen to your intuition. If you feel it is opening up to negative, stressful or imbalanced energy, I would avoid that and go with something that enhances your energy and relationships in a stable, sustainable way. I've heard too many stories of friends who ran into crises with this, before they figured it out it wasn't worth the problems it caused them afterwards.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emilynghiem View Post
Dear BF: I know a couple of friends who can handle the pagan and wicca practices and not run into problems. But the majority of the people I know who dabble in it, end up with a consistent pattern of attracting negative energy, people and recurring attacks. Some friends got them so bad, they had to quit altogether. Be very careful and listen to your intuition. If you feel it is opening up to negative, stressful or imbalanced energy, I would avoid that and go with something that enhances your energy and relationships in a stable, sustainable way. I've heard too many stories of friends who ran into crises with this, before they figured it out it wasn't worth the problems it caused them afterwards.
Yeah I'm very careful with it-- I do not undermine it at all. It is just so ingrained in who I am, I find myself almost subconsciously doing it to relax. Had another attack last night but got it under control. Ended up on the internet 3 hours later because of insomnia. Have a lot going on right now and just took a clean break from everything today, spent most the day in bed watching movies. I usually only do this when I'm sick but you have to have your head right too y'know. I was feeling dizzy all day --aftermath of last night I'm sure and lack of sleep but I've spent a lot of time on the boards, online diary etc. I'm feeling a little better. There was a 3 week break in between yoga but fortunately Wed I was able to do a drop in. I couldn't just sign on for the class again because of my schedule but I can do drop ins when schedule allows--and will lol. Wowee--I so need it.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to a Dr
Old 09-29-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

anxiety attacks are horrible. I had one 2 Sundays ago that landed me in the ER b/c I thought I was having a heart attack. I do yoga, walk, eat right, do breathing exercises...but this one was brutal.
My Dr. started me on Zoloft last Tuesday...still not sure how I feel about being on meds...but it became clear to me that I was NOT managing at all.
I hope you're feeling better.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Have you spoke to a Dr
Wolf-- my doctor retired a few years ago that I had for 40 years. Since then every time I've had a problem I've seen a different doctor at the same clinic--I'm basically on my own, I haven't seen an obgyn or had a breast exam for years. I really don't want any meds, I'd rather try to get a handle on it myself. I'm not ruling out therapy though--I've heard a lot of good things about psychotherapy.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really think I need help with this and think therapy is the key. When I read the anxiety book I do better but when I stop for while I forget everything I learned and just go back to my messed up thinking. I've got good insurance--if it's too much cost wise we do have a great university and probably low cost stuff through them. I think therapy for anxiety isn't supposed to take too many sessions anyway and I've used up my insurance deductible for the year...have till January before it flips. I think that would help me with a lot of other things as well and then I can start on me life recovery better. I'm feeling so much better now--this is something I can Do.