Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

British Columbia, Canadas new Drunk Driving Laws!!

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

They are now the toughest in North America!! sooo glad I don't drink anymore, I will not have to worry about that!! it will change alot of peoples lives, especially the ones who stop at the bar after work for a few... in the new laws two drinks will be an impaired.. I'm happy to see it!!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post

... in the new laws two drinks will be an impaired.. I'm happy to see it!!
For those of us who have CDL's (Commercial Drivers License), the limit is half what it is for others.

Right now it is half .08 or .04 which is 1 - 2 drinks for average adult males. Even less for females.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So...do you think that people are impaired after two drinks? Do you think that they're the people that are doing the damage and need to be targeted? Just curious.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I can't go to Canada unless I'm willing to pay $5000 at the border. I've got 2 DUI's on my record and they say it is for insurance like purposes. I guess they figure that I'd be going over there to start trouble or something.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johndelko408 View Post
I guess they figure that I'd be going over there to start trouble or something.
I can't say I haven't had my share of raucous evenings in Windsor. Lol.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, my daughter is seriously considering moving to Canada. That sucks because since I have a DWI on my record (4 years ago, I think), I wouldn't be able to even go visit her without getting special permission. Oh well...whatcha gonna do?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Sweden lowered its legal limit from .05 to .02 twenty years ago and they're seeing results.

The fines for drunk driving in Sweden can depend on how much money you have in the bank. One Swedish official told Rasmussen about a woman who had to pay more than $21,000.

The legal driving limit in Sweden is 0.02. If you break the law more than once, your name, your face and your car goes into a database so police can stop you at anytime.

"If we stop a repeat offender, we can seize his car. It will be forfeited. He'll lose his right to the car. It'll be sold or scrapped," Eriksson said.

It appears to be paying off. Swedish officials estimate less than one percent of the drivers on the road are under the influence of alcohol. In Florida, in 2008, 35 percent of all fatal crashes were alcohol-related. In Sweden, the number is between 15 and 25 percent; drunk-driving deaths have dropped from 471 in 2007 to just over 300 in 2010.

What Can Florida Learn From Sweden's DUI Laws? - News Story - WFTV Orlando
-------

In Michigan, they just upped the ante a bit..
On October 31, 2010, a new drunk driving category took effect in Michigan for first time offenders with high blood alcohol content (BAC) readings. Known as the "High Alcohol Enhanced Penalty Law," or more commonly as "Super DUI," the new category applies to those with a BAC of 0.17 or greater.

The penalties for a Super DUI are twice as severe as they are for standard DUIs. These penalties include:
- Up to a maximum of 180 days in jail
- One year license suspension
- 45 day hard license suspension (i.e. no driving)
- Up to $700 in fines
- One year mandatory alcohol treatment program

...personally, I don't care if they take the legal limit to 0.01, crank the penalties up (like vehicle forfeiture, alcohol monitoring tethers, jail time, house-arrest, in-car breathalizers/interlock devices, etc.) or anything else as it relates to drinking and driving. I don't drink anymore so and don't expect to ever again in my life. If I do, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be out drunk driving again (and the lowest # I've ever blown was a 0.22. The public had a right to their safety when I was out getting my 3 dui's and they weren't safe. I don't believe that a lower limit would have prevented me from being an alcoholic.....but it might have kept me from driving it it was just general knowledge that you just CAN'T ever drink anything and drive.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by unger894 View Post
So...do you think that people are impaired after two drinks? Do you think that they're the people that are doing the damage and need to be targeted? Just curious.
Now THAT is a whole 'nother discussion! I tend to agree with your rhetorical question.

But I don't wanna reply to it, really...

In my case, I would never, ever, ever drive after I had consumed one or two drinks. I would never allow myself to be that irresponsible.

But.... if I'd had 10 or 20 drinks... watch out! Who the heck knows what I'd do!

So, they can lower the alcohol limits all they want. It makes no difference to me, personally. 'Cause if they caught me drinking and driving I would be WAY beyond what anyone would consider reasonable.

-Goat
Old 11-16-2010, 09:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post

But.... if I'd had 10 or 20 drinks... watch out! Who the heck knows what I'd do!

-Goat
Wow that was me years ago. Thank God, I'm sober today.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nope, one drink is enough. Zero tolerance!
If you drink and drive you forfeit your future.

And what's this "I don't drink anymore so....", you still drive don't you?
Do your kids drive?
DD'ing is the sadest part of this affliction because it is easily preventable.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey if ya act like an ass hole ya get treated like one.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi, i live in surrey bc, about what you said, the top cop said pretty much raised the same questions you did.

basically what some cops are saying are they feel they are targeting the wrong people, the ones that want to have a glass of wine with dinner. and while they are dealing with these people, they are being stretched too thin while waiting for tow trucks and backup to get the people that these new laws are actually about, the drivers that get DRUNK and drive.

the restuarunt businesses have been feeling the hit also because no one is ordering drinks anymore.

please keep in mind i am just repeating what they have said. its been in the paper a lot lately.

alot of people feel it is just another tax grab for the government.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

These are penalties for the new law...if anyones intrested.

Under changes to the Motor Vehicle Act (MVA), drivers who provide a failing breath sample above 0.08 per cent BAC or refuse to provide a breath sample at the roadside will face an immediate, 90-day driving ban and a $500 fine. As well, they will have their vehicle impounded for 30 days. They may also face criminal charges.

Drivers caught once in the “warn” range (between 0.05 and 0.08 per cent BAC) in a five-year period will face an immediate, three-day driving ban and a $200 fine; a second time, a seven-day ban and a $300 fine; and a third, a 30-day ban and a $400 fine. Research shows that driving with a BAC in that range means a driver is seven times more likely to be in a fatal crash than if they have no alcohol in their body.

In addition, drivers who blow once in the “fail” range, or three times within five years in the “warn” range, will be required to participate in the rehabilitative Responsible Driver Program. They must also use an ignition interlock device, which tests a driver’s breath for alcohol every time they operate their vehicle, for one year.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
High on Life

Lowering the legal limit is not going to prevent people from getting behind the wheel, IMO.....It will just capture more of the so called "social drinkers"....
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thats what i feel also. since i used to BE one of those drunk drivers, even the old laws didnt scare or affect me. although they carried basically the same penalties.

i think the social drinker are just not going to drink because they dont want to risk it, and the people who are the worst offenders doing it all the time, will still do it. imo.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I pray to God everyday that I nor anyone in my family meets a drunk driver on the road and thats all I have to say on drinking and driving.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm with you vanilla!!! at the end of the day though I think it's the message they are trying to get across....