Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group Part 4

Old 10-18-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

AA, SMART, Freud, Buddhism....for me- whatever it takes, however long it takes. I spent so much time working out a rational informed decision as to what group or process (blah,blah) would work. Nothing worked. Everything worked. Sometimes I just need to tell the small mind I have to shut the hell up and do something, do anything. Might not work, could be pointless- but for me- that is far better than not doing anything.
For recovery- mentors are not scripted. They come- warts and all as they are. I did not look for a sponsor- at the time I was too busy worrying about stuff like food, safety, pain. He found me. One ways I think is like this, see.
I have fallen into a bog. I am slowly sinking. At first I panic and struggle frantically to get out of the bog. I sink more quickly. I relax and stop sinking. Breathe...show a bit of patience, help comes and I live happily ever after.
For my prize winning story- the bog are the obstacles I set my self up to fail with. My physical struggles is my over active mind.
Perhaps Nike got it right, I remind myself- 'just do it'.
Book signing my new release 'Pearls of obvious bloody wisdom' available. HA!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I was never an "insider" when I was in graduate school. I took my first externship off-campus, in a residential treatment program in the South Bronx, rather than work in the on-campus clinic. This raised a few eyebrows among the faculty. I wanted something different than what I was learning at the university, and that's what I got. Without knowing it until it became obvious to me, I also brought a different perspective to the program that some students seemed to either envy or take offense to. Or maybe they just thought I was crazy. Though I never sprinted through those halls of learning waving high my banner of individuality, not even knowing that I had a banner to wave, the differences, at times, created a great deal of superficial competition that wasn't always pretty. Psychologists-in-training were supposed to act and think in certain ways, but I never got the rule book.

(This also may help to explain your coworkers' sour response to you, and perhaps with other people in your life. We're often too quick to take the "blame" for there being something wrong with us when in fact, we're provoking some problematic feelings in other people by daring to be who we are. Envy is often about wanting something for ourselves, wanting success, wanting something -- or feeling that we deserve that something -- that other people have without making the necessary sacrifices and putting in all the hard work to get there. We don't appreciate their struggles, so we trivialize their accomplishments. Better and easier to demonize those we envy than accept the fact that we do little or nothing to improve ourselves.)

In opposition to this, many of my professors, some of whom became voluntary mentors, appreciated my individuality and my willingness to take risks. We are, after all, talking about work that involves helping people who are often in extreme distress, or who find themselves completely lost in life, most of whom are otherwise successful in life by most objective measures. It's not about giving people tools or advice around avoiding or shedding pain; it's about introducing people to themselves so that they may learn acceptance and bring themselves to a better place in which to succeed as human beings. And the work is also painful. So I learned early on that "going by the book" was the worst thing I could possibly do.

A graduate faculty in itself does not necessarily have to be experienced as oppressive or stifling. Cannot on its own extinguish the flames of creativity, and doesn't necessarily force us into a certain predetermined mold that discourages individuality. I found that when I'm learning and working within a given structure or discipline, it is then that my interests, skills and capabilities present themselves to me in a very real way. I mean, we can't often just practice what we love to do on our own, and without a realistic point of reference. This is perhaps similar to the way that you need a certain amount of structure in which to write or otherwise create.
This is all so very helpful (and encouraging) to know. Thank you.

I haven't properly responded and that's because I'm still mulling it all over.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

I made myself choose years ago between my creative writing and psychology/philosophy. I dont know the reasons why anymore. I dont know why I did that. Maybe a few reasons.

Maybe Ive felt conflicted for all these years over my choice because I didnt have to pick one. I couldve done all of it. I limited myself when I didnt have to.

How could I have been so small minded over such a huge life decision? Was it the drinking? And fear. And a lack of faith in myself.

I feel like I have a life amends to make to myself. I really didnt do myself justice.

EndGame, you were right on target many months ago (maybe a year ago) when you said to me in a PM that I didnt necessarily have to choose. I could do both.

Writing, psychology, and philosophy are my true loves. Love doesnt inhibit, choke, squelch, or narrow down. Isnt it supposed to extend, enlarge, open up, and broaden?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

I am a good writer and there was no doubt in my mind I was going to be a good psychologist. I want to try again, and do both.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

And you should love. Really.....you have so many fantastic years ahead of you, and you can have every part of the incredible career you dreamed for yourself. ♥

Love you.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Well, hey there, Suze.

I hope you are doing OK tonight. Its weird ... youre almost in the same time zone. Not a half day ahead, lol.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

I know J....and I'm finally starting to feel like I'm here.
I'm still not very well, but I am extremely happy. ♥
Old 10-18-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I hope it continues to get better for you here.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Ahhh... I love this thread. I have been missing out. I have some catching up to do.

So much wisdom in here. I shall return morningside.
Night night beautiful folks.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
EndGame

There are plenty of psychologists who also write, and many more who do other things unrelated to psychology or other academic pursuits. I knew one guy who bought a McDonalds franchise. Others start their own business within the field.

If you work things out in advance, you can make a very good living with plenty of surplus time in which you can do pretty much anything you want to do.

A friend of mine wrote a book many years ago, The Movies on Your Mind, psychoanalyzing characters in The Wizard of Oz, Psycho and three Humphrey Bogart movies. It's been awhile, but I liked the book when I read it.

He has an attachment to Hollywood and, among other things, was the voice of Dr. Katz's therapist on the animated comedy TV show, Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
EndGame

Another book I would recommend, a work of fiction, is August by Judith Rossner. She's the author of Looking for Mr. Goodbar and other works since that time.

August is about a woman's experiences through the process of psychotherapy with a therapist whose life is also falling apart. I loved it when I read it, which was a long time ago.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Thanks, EG. I got the ebook version of August just now through Open Library. Looks pretty good. I read some reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. Many more 'critics' on Goodreads, lol. Some are brutal.

The Movies on Your Mind sounds kinda fun. It's hard to resist analyzing famous people and characters sometimes.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

I hid in bed this morning until 10 a.m. My husband and I had a conversation late yesterday, and I won't give details, but I think it was enough for me to feel OK about severing ties emotionally. I haven't completely hacked through them yet, but this was quite the blow to me, and so let's just say it makes it easier.

The logistics still present a problem, however. We are still stuck under a small mountain of debt. I would lose the house if he left the marriage at the moment.

My goal is to sell the house and liquidate, and pay off most of the debt that way. I can walk away from this with minimal debt (an old student loan with very low interest rate would be left) at that point, and do anything, go wherever I want.

This house was bought eight years ago as an investment. I never planned to live here permanently. I'm thinking I see a way out now.

Maybe it's time to make a phone call to my dad to ask for his help with house repairs. He is in the business (builder). If it's not convenient for him, I suppose I still have to figure out a way to get it done. It might mean that I buy flooring instead of pay credit card payments in order to get the house listed and sold.

All this time, I was thinking, oh what if the university here turns down my application for grad school, thinking I was stuck here at this school. I guess I'm not truly stuck here. It just might take a a year or two to get unstuck.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about the painful conversation, Jennie.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Thank you. I am OK now.

When he told me, I got the feeling of ice-cold spreading throughout my chest area. You know that feeling?

Not a good one, lol.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Found this today in The New Yorker. I thought it was pretty good. The ending is kinda weak, in a way. But, overall, a good short.

It encapsulates some things I've been reading, thinking, and writing about lately relating to communication, words, language, inter-subjectivity, and disorders.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Cool

SP- will watch your upload in a bit. Study, partner, house, parents, money...hmm now where has that come from? Oh yes that's right- me! Throw in a few other bits and pieces and it is a common thread. Which sage cliché to offer up? I suppose we know them all. Just as on planet perfect we know all about lots of stuff to cope, survive, recover, mediate etcetcetc (insert exploding brain here). It seemed to me once my only option was to avoid life and drink. Then came not drinking, doing little to improve my lot and feeling crap. Moving along Maslow's ascending scale of crap came not drinking, doing stuff to change and feeling even worse. Now? Well I am self actualizzzed, live in a cave surrounded by bunnies, never wash and discuss world peace with the Buddha. I do not drink. I try and often don't succeed. Then still feeling crappy try a bit more, stumbling around in the dark with a little more success. Over time feeling a little less crappy.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

My last post reflects the way I am thinking of myself. No offense intended to anybody- the 'crap' remark was out of line- I apologise. Live and learn. PJ
Old 10-19-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
EndGame

If I recorded or made public my thoughts and feelings while I was trying to get sober, I might be sitting in a place where only the staff are allowed to leave.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, I'm sorry that you are walking through this sadness and pain, and yet, I feel that you see some light and some freedom in the not-too-distant future. Asking your Dad for help seems like a great idea since he's in the business. Have you ever considered selling the house 'as-is'? Obviously it would sell for a lower price, but it would save you money, time and work. It's my experience that there are people out there who would prefer something they could fix up on their own to their own taste, rather than spend more for something that you had fixed up.