Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

When did you realise you might have a drinking problem?

Notices

Old 01-28-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

was there a specific moment you started to feel like you had a problem?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Omnivore

It was when I realized I was drinking every day. So I decided to stop doing that. And I was unable to stop doing that.

How about you HBK?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I suspected when I realized I was drinking more and more frequently despite thinking "I should take a break" and then I wouldn't take the break
Old 01-28-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

When I called an AA hotline with a cry for help.......at the tone, please leave a message.

Someone returned my call the next morning and replayed my message - ouch!

That didn't not stop me...........hope you're different. That elevator doesn't have to go all the way down, we can get off on any floor.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

1991. I was in a job I hated in a town I hated and my wine habit was getting more and more entrenched. One night I had a whole bottle of white wine and the next morning I was in a meeting and could not function...I mean I was a babbling idiot.

A few months later, on April 1 (seemed appropriate), I quit and stayed quit for five years until like a moron, I let the pressure of being out for dinner with much more senior executives get to me...that night I had half a glass. The next night, one tiny split of champagne...I was hung over the entire next day.

Then I was off and drinking and quitting, sometimes for months at a time, once nearly a year, but always I went back.

Right now on Day 27 and I am not going back this time. 20 years on the roller coaster is plenty.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I showed up to a 6:00 AM college class pie-eyed. Continued drinking for another 30 years. Guess I defined the phrase "Functioning alcoholic". I pray the nightmare is now beginning to end.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was waking up in bad withdrawals every morning. When my first thought of the day was "I hate myself". But it took me a while to finally get sober for good.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I knew I didn't drink normally decades ago - almost right from the beginning. I refused to acknowledge it, though. I got serious about quitting when I found myself completely dependent on it & drinking 24/7.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Having a drink before I brushed my teeth. Being out of it the night before and forgetting where I put my stash bottle! Lying to someone I love.

It's not so bad waking up the next day... Any day with a clear head and some sort of goals in line.

Trying to quit and couldn't.
Powerless!

Now, sometime later...

Texting a thread I read while on break at my iop meeting session. And actually reading stuff that makes sense. (To me)
Old 01-28-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

after i was sober a year. till then everything else was the problem.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I started waking up with the shakes, I knew I had a problem. When I started waking up in the middle of the night to pour myself a glass of booze, I knew I had a problem. When I had withdrawal seizures, I knew I had a problem.

I was really good at lying to myself, and pretending those issues didn't exist...especially when I was pouring myself that first drink. I knew that as soon as I began drinking, I'd forget there was a problem. I lived like that for a few years before life became completely unliveable.

When I first realized I was "living sober"....now that was a much better realization.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

The very first time I drank...sadly that didn't stop me..it took 30 more years.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

When I was drinking every day. When I stopped doing anything or hanging out with anyone unless alcohol was available.

Of course, over time, the signs became MUCH more dramatic.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I realized I could not look back and tell you my last day sober also kinda thought I might have a wee bit of a problem when I was waking up at 3am to have a couple of beers and getting upset when I didn't leave mysef beer for my 3am drink.red flags or what
Old 01-28-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When my physiological hierarchy of needs shifted.

My cravings for alcohol needed to be satisfied before I had any appetite for food.

A true change in my body's chemistry.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I ran out of alcohol, that was a problem. I solved it by throwing a brick threw a 7-11 door. They used to close at 11 you know, 35 years ago.

Been a lot of arrests, programs, quitting, relapses, car wrecks, losing all my possessions and general crazy dangerous things and people over the years.

I have had years sober but got complacent, and as some say, went out to do some more research on this problem I have.

This is my day 31 at 50 years on the planet.

I feel pretty good today.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
was there a specific moment you started to feel like you had a problem?
When I started hiding my empties.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When I realized I was drinking because I needed to, rather than because I wanted to
Old 01-28-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I drank by myself before going out for drinks with my friends, I didn't really consider it a problem, I thought I was "smart".

Proceeded to drink after I had drinks with friends too. Got concerned.

A real problem? When I started being drunk in inappropriate times and locations. And no one around me was drunk.

At whatever stage your in, make no mistakes. It only gets worse unless we stop. Welcome to SR!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Once again, I agree with ZJW. I didn't define my drinking as a problem until I was sober for a year or so. Now I look back and wonder, how the heck did I get away with that for so long?