Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

When did you realise you might have a drinking problem?

Notices

When did you realise you might have a drinking problem?

Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
When I realized the buzz lasted for an hour, then the other 23 hours were spent either chasing that buzz, recovering from it, or just being miserable and wanting it all to end. The 3AM wakeups in terror, the fear or anger in every situation - the realization that I could either drink or have some kind of normal life, but I couldn't have both.
Exactly.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

When I started making excuses and hiding it.
There was a good long time where I was dating a woman and I'd never stay at her place because I knew I'd be restless and not sleep well. So I'd stick to my routine and go grab fast food on the way home, knock several back while watching a movie, eat the fast food once I was sure I had enough liquor in me to sleep for half the day, and then do just that.

I wouldn't let people in my room unless I had advance notice and had a chance to hide the empty handles of vodka. One time, towards the end of the relationship, when she was catching on but I was desperately hoping she'd move in and I'd have my excuse to quit for real, she asked at the end of the night if she could come stay and I sputtered and said "oh,uhm, the place is a mess" and she looked at me and I could tell she knew exactly what I meant.

I probably knew before this all, but before that it was just youthful fun. Before that it was just something I was trying on as an experience as a writer Before that it was just over-indulging after being vigorously abstinent of substances my whole youth. Before that it was just something I started doing daily out of heartbreak after a brief and intense romantic relationship (I remember thinking: I'm going get drunk every night this week to get over this . . . several hundred weeks later).

Before that I rarely drank, didn't like it when I couldn't play my guitar as well, didn't like it when I couldn't type as smoothly, didn't like that I couldn't be as witty. Then I started drinking regularly and got more adept at doing things under the influence, cared less when I wasn't.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

When I started sneaking alcohol to drink everywhere. With my family at the zoo, to the movies with friends who were all sober.

The time I actually drank a 30 pack in 24 hours and went out to get another, I knew I was in trouble.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

When I could drink about 30 standard drinks get a taste of speed and repeat x 2 that's when I knew I had a problem. I was 21 years old
Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
This too. I hosted many movie nights and boardgame nights where the people I was with maybe had one drink or possibly two but I kept going to the kitchen to refill my drink and would have the same amount I would have if I were drinking alone which was upwards of 12. This is why I loved hard alcohol and 7-Up. You could have like four or five servings of alcohol in one glass and people couldn't really tell from looking at it. Maybe a half-dozen times over my drinking years somebody would take a sip of my drink and their face would look like they could just tasted gasoline. I could barely tell there was alcohol in it.

They were stone sober and I was completely drunk.

It's really interesting now because I can spot someone who's had more than two drinks from about 10 pieces. After those 12 drinks I must have looked insane. Or pathetic? Both?
That was so me!!! I feel embarrassed now about that, really must have looked sad/pathetic.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I realized early on that I had a very unhealthy passion for alcohol.

I knew that I had a magnetic draw toward alcohol and getting drunk.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I wanted to avoid telling war stories here, but I suspected there may be a tiny, tiny problem-a-rino when I produced a flask from my coat when Christmas shopping at Toys R Us.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
was there a specific moment you started to feel like you had a problem?
A little before my join date back in 2010. Before then, I was a potato, assuming I was good because I was me, assuming that what I did was okay because it was me doing it.

Right around that time, I realized that my drinking was affecting the people in my life whom I loved.

I was still too weak to manage more than a few weeks before lapsing back into a five-year coma. It took the woman I loved to knock me about a little and make me see what it was I was breaking, bless her, so I began to take recovery -- as opposed to sobriety -- seriously. She invested a hell of a lot of emotion and dragged me to a place where I could see myself objectively. In the meantime, I broke our love and trust with my drinking -- but better late than never, right?

I'll always be in her debt, for having saved me.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
after i was sober a year. till then everything else was the problem.
We alcoholics are fantastic finger-pointers, aren't we?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

It's a long bow but maybe right back to when I was very young and my (alcoholic) father gave me a sip of his beer. The froth looked like ice-cream but on taste spat I spat it out spontaneously. It was a problem. I guess really when I understood the cycle.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

When I came home from work every day and started drinking as automatically as I was breathing and not even realizing I was drinking until I started in on the third or fourth pour. Waking up on days I didn't work hung over and reaching for more with my coffee. Hiding drinks hiding bottles. Budgeting my money to ensure I had enough for the month. Rotating liquor stores wher I bought so no one would think I had a problem. I could go on.
But for me I don't know if there was one specific thing but an ongoing list of behavior that brought me so much shame until I really accepted my problem.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

When I first started drinking alone and hiding how much I drank, I knew I had a problem. I'd be out to dinner with my family and everyone would have one drink and relax and enjoy themselves and I would be in an absolute panic about whether or not I could get away with ordering another drink or if I could sneak over to the bar and get one there, or could I last until after dinner and have a few at home? It became all about the alcohol...once I had one drink I wanted more and nothing else mattered to me except getting that drink. I lost all interest in my family, friends and life itself...I existed only to drink. What a god-awful state to be in!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I really do not know...had the haunting suspicion for years. Of course, I had to make sure...

Yep. Problem.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It definitely wasn't the first time I considered it a problem, but I knew it was a "REAL" problem my first year after college. One night I bought a six pack of beer at the store and walked home to my newly rented apartment that I had all to myself - my first time living alone with no roommates. I figured I should have some beer in the fridge, you know, to have one here and there. A mature adult thing to do!
That same night I had 1 beer, then 2....before I knew it I drank all 6, home alone by myself, on a work night. I likely would have kept going if I had more in the apartment. I had no college student excuses, no bad influence friends to blame it on. I was a working professional guzzling beer like water. When I woke up hungover the next day I scared myself knowing that my behavior was not OK whatsoever.
Did that stop me? Nope.....
Old 02-12-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

When I drank 2.5 bottles of wine and ended up in jail.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi. I've been around here a long time and have made a few half assed attempts at sobriety which have only ultimately resulted in me drinking increasingly larger amounts of alcohol making myself sicker than even I ever thought possible....but anyway, to answer your question...over the holidays I went on a drunk and at about 1 am started making myself some bread and butter. I was cutting up the loaf of bread and cut myself and didn't realize it. As my husband recounted to me, I was bleeding heavily all over the bread but...I still tried to eat it. He threw it away.

Have no recollection of it. Have been scared to death ever since.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Chances

When I was about 19 or 20 and realised I was and had to drink to excess and create opportunities to drink as often and as much as possible. It was a compulsion in me than, probably not an addiction but I was too young and too driven to want to change it. It was more like an inconvenient dream like background thought.
The first time I tried to drink I was 16 and I couldn't stand the taste or beer or stomach it. It was an embarrassing awful situation. 1/4 of a bottle and I spew it out. I considered it a humiliating weakness and I keep forcing that crap down my throat till I could drink it, get drunk and after a year I remember not loving but not minding beer. I'd grow to absolutely love it to the point in sobriety that I sometimes buy alcohol free beer to chase the taste (not the effect or habit).
Whilst my mind obsessed and drove me towards it from day one my body really reacted to it as the poison it is.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Others realized it long before I did...

When I was in my 20s, I loved drinking and had friends that loved drinking. As we all got older, there came a time to turn into responsible adults and moderate partying to take care of real jobs, spouses, kids, etc. I didn't do that. Even at 32 I didn't have hobbies that did not involve drinking. Seriously-- Friends, strangers told me I should drink less. I didn't listen and kept drinking.

I finally thought about quitting at 33 when I spent all my days in bars or buying alcohol with (often alone) and that became my sole priority in my life. I am at a point that I don't want alcohol. I crave it. My point is that I never realized it was a problem. I realized I lost a lot of good friends and life opportunities over the last 15 years. I wish I would have slowed down or quit so much earlier. I wish I could tell my younger self that drinking is going to get in the way of everything you want/love.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I'd be out to dinner with my family and everyone would have one drink and relax and enjoy themselves and I would be in an absolute panic about whether or not I could get away with ordering another drink or if I could sneak over to the bar and get one there,
My goal is to enjoy dinners without that panic too
Old 02-16-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Waking up shoeless in a parking lot near my apartment. Drinking shots before getting behind the wheel of a car. Stealing alcohol from my friends. Hiding bottles from other people. Planning my days around my drinking. Terrified to drink and even more scared not to.

The one thing I can attest to is that my drinking got worse and worse the more I did it. Active addiction truly is hell, but now that I'm newly sober, I'm dealing with the depression and anxiety that I treated with alcohol.