Notices

My future looks like this: ??????????

Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My future looks like this: ??????????

So I just finally read the fine print on the nursing school website. You have to have child care level clearances to get accepted, basically. They do all this roundabout stuff, of we will accept you into the program...blah, blah, blah. Well, before I sell my house and quit my job I kinda have to know this is for real and they aren't going to turn around 2 weeks into it and say I don't qualify.

To people who will say, call them now and ask. It doesn't work that way. You apply to the program academically. You're accepted or not. I was accepted. You submit your background. It goes to a board that meets about a month before school starts. They review all the packets. You're accepted or not. (I never did this part.). Then you submit for clearances. So, we are butting right up against the start of school and I won't even know if I'm accepted or not?

So, I've come up with this great idea to just apply for the child care clearances on my own. Since the state just changed the law in December regarding who needs clearances for what, a zillion other people will also be applying. The backlog is several weeks. But at least I will know that part now. I couldn't do it today because the site wouldn't load properly on my phone and I don't have a home computer. I will do it at work on Monday.

But the interviewing time is going to drag. And what if I can't do it? My clemency hearing isn't until August 2016 and if they say yes, it still takes months for he charges to actually clear. I do not have it in me mentally to stay at my job until August 2017. I simply don't. And I really want to do nursing.

I hate not knowing what's going to happen and knowing I will only have myself to blame if it doesn't work out. I can do medical lab technology but I don't want to. I really don't

I would have just drove up there and talked to them today but there was a blizzard. AGAIN
Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ailana, so sorry you are going through a tough and ambiguous time when you need answers.

I wish I had more to say but I just hope it works out to your advantage. I think it is tremendous that you maintain sobriety even with all this at stake.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing you can do is do the bit you haven't done -submit your background - and let the chips fall where they may.

D
Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm actually going to the school tomorrow to talk to people. It's right across the street from my work so why not?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes

D
Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've made a decision. I simply cannot do it. I cannot apply because the no will destroy me. Idk if this is the right decision or not. But I can't take the blow, at least not right now.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You need to protect your Sobriety at all costs, that's the priority!!

Though if there was anyway you thought you could survive a "no" I'd go for it and not have any regrets looking back, "what ifs" are not nice to look back on in life I have found.

It's your decision though, go with what is best!!
Old 03-07-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

what are you going to do instead alaina?

D
Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

alaina - I went to nursing school a couple of decades ago. I had to take core courses that my previous degree did not cover, not knowing whether I would be accepted or not.

I was, I was an RN for 12 years, but I lost that career to addiction.

I had to go through the grief of loss, but also had to put my sobriety first. I am now back in the health care field, though at a much lower pay and not dealing with patients.

Have you thought of going for certification of a medical assistant or certified nursing assistant? I have friends that have done this, it's a bit easier than nursing school and allows you to get your foot in the door.

If there is anything I've learned in my years of recovery, it's that a door doesn't close without another door opening. Sometimes we have to reach for our dreams by stepping back and doing the best we can do.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-08-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am academically qualified to attend nursing school. It's just the record part I'm not sure about.