Notices

Want to drink.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to drink.

I really, really want to have a couple beers and enjoy my Friday night with my guy. I have had such bad anxiety and stressing out so bad I cannot even explain. My job is nothing short of a living hell. I don't want to go into it. I need the stress relief so badly I could cry.

But this is a last effort to stave off drinking tonight.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find other healthy ways to deal with the stress and anxiety. Drinking just makes the anxiety worse.

I really, really want to have a couple beers and enjoy my Friday night with my guy.
I was never a couple of beers type of drinker...I doubt you are either sleepie.

You won't regret waking up sober tomorrow

D
Old 02-27-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please don't give in to a very bad idea. You'll regret it tomorrow and it will only make the anxiety worse.

Please don't drink.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't equate alcohol with enjoyment, we all need to detach this link in our minds, people who don't drink can have a perfectly happy and enjoyable Friday night and weekend without alcohol, it is not the centre of the social universe!!

We gotta get past that and in addition realise that the misery alcohol causes us when we do drink will start to happen all over again, a couple will not be a couple.

Be a "non drinker" and still have fun!!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleepie, alcohol is not enjoyable. It is destructive.

what you are feeling is termed as "Beast Activity". You are feeling our addiction as it tries to feed itself. I wish I could find a way to help you. you might read the crash course on Rational Recovery. do a web search.

You have nine sober days. for some reason you seem to feel deprived by not drinking alcohol. Alcohol does not serve you. It destroys you. You deprive yourself of food so you will be slimmer. can you not deprive yourself of alcohol so you'll be saner? and all the empty, toxic calories in alcohol?

Love from Lenina
Old 02-27-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Here we go again. Now, like a dummy I sit out withdrawals. Started with a couple, like it always does. I have to make February the month I get it right. I hate myself today.
Break the cycle. You can do this.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am overeating instead

Neither is good for the prediabetes. I was sticking to my strict diet... this week just really broke me. A coworker who talked to me about my boss even called me and said I should have a really big cocktail and enjoy my evening. Oh how I wish I could.

I'm very unhappy tonight.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I really, really want to have a couple beers and enjoy my Friday night with my guy. I have had such bad anxiety and stressing out sbad I cannot even explain. My job is nothing short of a living hell. I don't want to go into it. I need the stress relief so badly I could cry.

But this is a last effort to stave off drinking tonight.
Sleepie: Go ahead and cry...(I'll even cry with you )
but don't drink.

At least you have a guy to enjoy your Friday night with, now THAT'S SOMETHING POSITIVE

Try to have a nice sober evening!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sleepie - It's just not worth it, sweetie. I agree that your boss is a jerk, so why give him the power to make you drink? He's not worth it, you ARE.

You've been worried about the prediabetes, been on a pretty low cal diet, and though I get that, I worry about the Hungry/Angry/Lonely/Tired (HALT) thing.

Like Dee said, a couple never was enough for me. Well, maybe to start!

You know how it will end. You'll still have the stress and you'll feel awful at having drank again.

It doesn't help the problems, well it seems like it does, for a short time when we're oblivious, but it does make it all worse.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-27-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks impurrfect, I had thought about the fact of my boss killing me while off the job as well as while on the job by making me want to drink. I guess HALT is a thing too because for sure I have been hungry and angry every day! I guess I chose food tonight. Trying to be somewhat sensible about it, I am splurging on an Amy's veggie pie but it's loaded with carbs. Also a few dark chocolate covered almonds. Not the worst fall I have had off the wagon I guess.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sleepie...the more time you put between you and your last drink the easier it will get.
It is great you had the ice cream instead..it will get better.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
Sleepie...the more time you put between you and your last drink the easier it will get.
I'm stealing this quote just so you know.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You need to learn how to relieve stress without sucking on a bottle.
Go to the gym.
Hit the boxing ring.
Walk the dog.
Have sex.
Or the other kind of sex!
Talk to your councellor, if you do not have a councellor then talk to your AA fellows, if you do not attend AA then talk to your recovery friends, if you dont have recovery friends then maybe you should have recovery friends. A war is not won alone!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markz View Post
Talk to your councellor, if you do not have a councillor then talk to your AA fellows, if you do not attend AA then talk to your recovery friends, if you dont have recovery friends then maybe you should have recovery friends. A war is not won alone!
I couldn't agree with this more. I'm just coming up to my 1st AA birthday (on the 5th March). I am amazed and full of gratitude for the changes I've seen in myself and my life over this time. BUT it was a tough year emotionally, and I couldn't have done it alone. AA have been my mainstay support, and it's when I started working the steps that I've seen the most positive changes. Those AA promises ARE coming true, as long as I keep working for it.

Keep at it - and definitely remember HALT. Those four are your enemy!!

A book I found really helpful in learning to recognise the voice of my addiction whispering to me and getting better at ignoring the bugger is Monkey On My Shoulder. I'd highly recommend it. Go kick that Money's arse xx

Monkey On My Shoulder: Amazon.co.uk: The Monkey: 9781494959890: Books
Old 02-27-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there sleepie because once you put together more sober time...it'll be worth it.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

Food is the lesser of 2 evils if today you eat some garbage stay sober then tomorrow you be better off. You can diet when you got the sobriety licked one step at a time it doesn't have to be a huge rush keep it simple. Some stuff for me had to fall by the wayside so I could stay sober once I felt strong there I tackled the other things