Notices
View Poll Results: Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?
Yes
9.28%
No
90.72%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

I didn't see this the first time it came up, but it apparently got bumped.

I find it offensive; it sends the wrong message to newcomers.

This is a sobriety site.

"This is a controversial question and I think it might be useful to get some actual data as there's already been much speculation."

1. There is no controversy. Alcoholics cannot moderate. We already know the answer to that question.

2. This site is not equipped to gather data in a legitimate way, nor does it purport to have that capacity. Polls here are akin to when newspapers do online surveys that pose a question and give readers the chance to vote "thumbs up" or "thumbs down." Those surveys always come with the disclaimer that they are non-scientific.

I'd like to think I'm a community-minded contributor to SR. And I think some of the polls are interesting. But a poll posing this question -- on a sobriety site -- is irresponsible.

I'm asking the moderators to consider locking it down.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi V i believe the thread was started because of some ppl here saying they could moderate this is prove what we all know its done to show anyone who thinks they can moderate look at the numbers

i think this poll destroys the moderation idea
Old 11-28-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Last Blackout

I've recently been reading Allen Carr's book entitled How to Control Your Drinking. Its actually a fascinating take on alcohol, a completely different mindset that may explain this phenomenon.

He argues that given time and exposure it is almost a foregone conclusion that people will develop an addiction to the drug of alcohol.

Maybe these folks arent there quite yet, but if they try hard enough (drink enough for long enough) it is almost a certainty.

Thats his argument at least.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Omnivore

I wish the poll was more specific. Depending upon how you define moderation I could answer yes or no.

To me moderation means not getting stumbling slurring raging drunk. So if I drink every day but I drink just enough to get mildly inebriated, then I would consider that progress and being moderately drunk. Yes, I can do that. Sometimes.

However, to some one that is not already a heavy drinker, moderate drinking means 2 to 4 drinks a month. And never 2 on the same day. No, I can not do that. Having one drink to me is maddening. I'd rather have none.

I've slipped in and out of sobriety. Sometimes I went right from sober to stumbling drunk as ever in a matter of hours. Other times I drank moderately for days and never went off the deep end. Both types of relapses are regretful. I hate the brain damage and life damage I do when stumbling drunk. When I drink moderately I know I'm still doing damage. Serious damage. And playing with fire. Each step of the way going from just mildly buzzed to stumbling drunk to completely blitzed, is just a split second decision away. Decisions that will be made in the heat of the moment, by an inebriated fellow with poor judgment and weak impulse control. Very dangerous. It seems insane to put myself, my health and life in the hands of a moderate drinker.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Administrator

To me moderation means not getting stumbling slurring raging drunk. So if I drink every day but I drink just enough to get mildly inebriated, then I would consider that progress and being moderately drunk. Yes, I can do that. Sometimes.
That was the greatest trap for me...because I could do that sometimes, it kept me coming back to drinking again and again...

If I'm honest. I think times like that - where I 'didn't get too drunk' and 'nothing bad happened' - were my addictions greatest ally...

so I'm afraid, from here looking back, I don't really see it as progress at all, walk....

D
Old 11-28-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
If I could moderate I'd do it all day!
Exactly!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

In my case.... no
Old 11-29-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Hell, NO! Are you crazy??
Old 11-29-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by walkbeformakrun View Post
Very dangerous.
Bottom line for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Have I drank responsibly and in moderation on occasion? Sure. Can I do it whenever I want to? Absolutely not. That first drink might as well be a roll of the dice.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Voting no again.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I'm gonna vote yes again. ( I actually passed on voting in this and several other odd polls but I still can't pass on looking at them)
Old 11-30-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pat A View Post
He argues that given time and exposure it is almost a foregone conclusion that people will develop an addiction to the drug of alcohol. Maybe these folks arent there quite yet, but if they try hard enough (drink enough for long enough) it is almost a certainty.
I believe that. I definitely believe that.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

no one is never enough... ppfffttt
Old 12-01-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Don't know. Would be pointless to find out. It would definitely disappoint a lot of people who are counting on me if I experimented. Wouldn't be much fun and it would be quite stressful trying.
So I'll say maybe. Maybe not. Probably will never know.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

no, of course I can't, otherwise I would not be here. Looking back to the start of my relationship with alcohol, it was uncontrolled drinking right from the beginning. Right from then I think I was in free fall mode, only that it seemed like fun at first and didn't do a lot of harm for a brief period. And now it's a case of staying sober or going down, at age 23.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Huh?

I very highly doubt it & I am afraid to even try.

Which, actually, infers my answer: No.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I have about as much chance of drinking moderately successfully as I do of scratching my ear with the tip of my elbow.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Seems a rather odd place for posing this question and expecting results any different than we see here. It's a sobriety and recovery forum. You will never get an honest yes here because the ones who can answer yes simply don't need to.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Seems a rather odd place for posing this question and expecting results any different than we see here. It's a sobriety and recovery forum. You will never get an honest yes here because the ones who can answer yes simply don't need to.