Notices
View Poll Results: Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?
Yes
9.28%
No
90.72%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Can YOU successfully drink in moderation?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Hell to the no.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

I don't know, but I'm not going to drink....so I guess I'll never find out
Old 12-31-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
I voted no. But for those that voted yes what is the moderation life like? I know I seriously tried moderation for a year and half arsed for a couple years prior and it was such a stressful time in my life. For that year I would have to say I had a 5 to 10 success rate.

People without drinking problems don't think of moderation. They don't spend all day planning out their drinking. The extent of their planning is "Oh, looks like I'll be going to the bar tonight, but I'll only have a couple because I got a meeting in the morning." And that's that. People with drinking problems put thought into it. They think about what they will drink, when, how much. They'll think about drinking almost all the time. In my opinion there is such a thing as moderation. But what kind of life is that?

I like to think I moderate, you're second paragraph is interesting. I might have an occasional weekday sesh but won't have anymore than 5 pints if work the next day or driving.

I get through on average 40-50 units a week I reckon between Friday and Sunday, I find though that I don't like to get totally caned because I hate feeling so rough the next day so for example tonight I'll prolly do around 6-7 pints as its New Years eve and then hit the shandies which is what I do when I know a few more beers will see me ill the next day.

I am aware though that tolerance wise compared to 10 years ago is vastly increased, I could never of been able to do 6-7 pints 10 years ago without being well squiffy, I am 40 now.

I am aware of this and I get my liver profile done roughly yearly, question I ask myself sometimes is do I get my liver done so I can justify still being able to drink that much as I know it's excessive. Just writing that indicates to me my relationship with alcohol is not overly healthy and needs to be watched closely.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

I enjoyed my Brandy Alexander on christmas eve just a tiny one.. but Ed got sick so bad.. so its out out out ... not even when we are in public.. for if he sees me take even a small sip.. for a taste of the flavor of the beer sample or ice cream drink he has to have a bigger drink and then we are back to sq one ... so no maybe by Christmas Eve 2015 but no he will get so sick.. and then I am up all night so no no no.. hugs to all happy apple juice and New Years Eve 2015 ardy
Old 01-04-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Yes.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stephendu View Post
Yes.
Care to explain?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
What is the point of it besides trying to appease the side of you that doesn't want to change?
Awesome line.

Had to post again on this never ending thread that keeps popping up in my subscriptions!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Say goodbye

If we could drink responsibly, we would have no need. It's like any addiction. I'm not addicted to cigarettes. So, I can smoke a cigarette or cigar and if I never smoke another one - NO PROBLEM. Alcohol is different. Deep in my evil heart, I do NOT want to drink responsibly (whatever that means). I want to get drunk. Tried "drinking responsibly" after being sober 14 years. That lasted about two years, then WHAMMO. Here I am again - 5 months sober.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Here's a pcikle. I'm pretty sure that I can't anymore the way things have turned out. But…

I had a bad relationship with alcohol in my teens yes, plenty of trouble for getting in fights etc. Anyways i went through a dark period and reevaluated my life. I got a steady sociable job then, I had car a house a girlfriend etc. And I could drink in moderation then! I could have a drink, have a few smokes, even go away for long weekends raving and do whatever I liked, and it wasn't impacting negatively on my life.

So wtf happened???! I'm know that I'm not an evil one. Just a thought
Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
So wtf happened???!
Bottom of pg. 58 happened I suspect... cunning, baffling, powerful.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Sometimes we get too caught up in the things we think we're doing to stay sober and judge. My group had a guy with 25 yrs. come through my wife's nursing home for rehab. He just had his foot amputated from diabetes complications and admitted to my wife (director) in private that he had drank a fifth and a pint (at 68 and 110 lbs.)2 days prior cuz his foot thing had him stuck, immobile.. I saw him at a meeting last week and he looked sober. I would never repeat what my wife told me to anyone. His deal there. My point is this happens more than we think. Real embarrassment keep these good folks from speaking up when they really need it. Has happened to me twice--I know. I think I'll get his number and call today....
Old 01-08-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

No, and will never try too.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Absolutely not it had to be cut off not cut down for me.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

I can and have while playing music out because I suck at playing drunk, so I will have a beer or 2 over the course of the night.
But so what? I think my AV used that to keep me sick longer. I like the feeling of being super hammered and got blackout drunk 2-3 times a week and saw no point in only having a few unless there were special circumstances (playing). So while I can moderate, I dont see that as being mutually exclusive to a huge problem with alcohol. I consider myself an alcoholic, period.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

In my alcoholic mind drinking and not getting hammered would be pointless. That's why I can't drink at all.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I didn't do the poll because I don't drink... don't know if I "can" because I don't want to.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

This post has been really informative for me as a newcomer here, so thanks to everyone. I'm a problem drinker but probably not an alcoholic (yet?), however as someone pointed out it's a subjective term.

I can moderate, and have for my whole life, but it takes a conscious effort and willpower to do it. If I don't make an effort, it's too easy to have too many. And even with moderation, having 2 drinks a night still means that I'm spending a good part of my free time buzzed. And these are the hours of the day I spend with my family, the hours I am not working...in essence the best part of the day. What a waste.

I'm committed to 30 days (on day 10 now) and feeling better than I have in years. I checked out the MM site to see what it's about, and I'm continuing to read here on SR every day. So many people here have already been through what I'm going through now, and I am so thankful that you are willing to share.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Yeah I probably could don't care to find out anymore though.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I have tried many times over the last couple months to moderate my drinking...and some nights went well. Then drinking beers went to taking shots...and i'd talk myself to have more beers since i was off the next day.
So quitting full on seems to be the best bet in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

No. Just no.