Notices

Honest

Old 09-12-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honest

Hi All, After reading a few post recently it has coe to my attention that some people here are still in fact drinking.

So 1 honest question.

Who the F... is still drinking ? (not that there is anything wrong with it just some honesty)

Robbo
Old 09-12-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is recovery board Robbo - some people are still actively struggling with their addictions. It's why we're here

D
Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah i know so i was asking the question, as my post says nothing wrong with it at all, just would be of intrest of were people are at in recovery.

i could then send PM messages that maybe of help to myself/them in seeing dangers and how and why the relapse happens, as you know i have myself came so close in recent times of picking up that drink again.

We all have the same problem thats what this is all about ALCOHOL

Robbo
Old 09-12-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

O Yeah and if i was totally Honest i F...... Love drinking as i have said on many posts, i actually enjoyed it, but that was my problem i enjoyed it to much.

Robbo
Old 09-12-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Robbo)))))

I LOVED Alcohol. I loved the taste of it, the smell of it, what it did for me, and what it did to me, until it KILLED ME.

From my recovery story elsewhere on this site:

On Sunday June 7, 1981, at approximately 4:30pm (I know it was afternoon, I had a cheap $2 digital plastic watch, it said 4:30 and it was light out so knew it was afternoon) as I would take a swig in (oh btw I was a Jack Daniels and/or Wild Turkey drinker for most of my life and was on Thunderbird Wine by this time) it felt like it was coming out of every pore of my body as fast as I put it in. It was then I had no doubts left …………………….. I was dying. I was going to die soon if I kept drinking and I was going to die soon if I tried to stop, but somehow I wanted to die sober.

I put the cap back on the bottle, threw it in the back seat with the rest of the empties and started to cry. I was sitting on the concrete bumper and I did scream out

PLEASE HELP ME

Not my typical alkie prayer of “God get me out of this one and I’ll never do it again” just PLEASE HELP ME.

I can tell you it was a pretty rough night. The next morning I knew something was terribly wrong. I knew there was a hospital called Olive View in Van Nuys, had heard about it from my Wino buddies, but had no idea where it was. I started the car, intent on finding OliveViewHospital. Yes, I found the hospital, there had to be someone guiding that automobile because I had no idea where I was going.

I found out later, by reading my medical chart and by talking to the gal that was at the admissions desk that day, that I walked up to the desk, told the gal I was an alcoholic, said I hadn’t had a drink since the day before and something was drastically wrong. She told me I was green, she was hitting the emergency button under her desk, while she directed me to a chair right across from her desk, maybe a distance of 4 feet. I never made it. I went into seizures on the floor in front of her desk.

Later in reading the medical chart from that day, I found out that when I went into seizures my BAC was .38 and my body was CRAVING MORE. My heart stopped from the seizures. They would get me started again, and after a little while I would start to seizure again. This went on all day. The last time my heart stopped, I was down for 28 minutes and the ER Dr gave up. He called it and was writing the TOD on my chart (24 hours after I stopped drinking) and my heart started on it’s own. I was given a SECOND CHANCE.
I think what you want to do by PMing those still drinking or trying to quit is admirable. I think whether they post on this thread or not, by reading other threads and the responses from members here, you will be able to tell those that you desire to PM and give some hope to.

Great idea. You have some very important 'lessons' that you have learned to share.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-12-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, Laurie, thanks for sharing your story. That is truly a miracle.

I am on day 39 in my recovery and stories like that make me so very thankful that I am. I never had a divine intervention like it sounds like you had though.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never get tired of reading that Laurie - really
thanks again.

D
Old 09-12-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, Laurie. That was powerful.

I relapsed again, Robbo... as I announced on my other thread.

It is awful and truly not worth it.

I just dont understand why I keep questioning whether or not I am in fact an alcoholic.... when it is is clear that I am.

Guess thats just how we are, tho.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Robbo
I probably sound like a broken record, but I have been sober 5 months going on 6.( I guess I'm proud of it). I don't know about paying attention to other peoples sobriety. I know we are supposed to try to help other people to help ourselves stay sober. BUT we have to be careful because it's so easy to step on somebodies toes. When I was drinking I didn't want any "help". Now I will take all I can get. But there are still others that don't want help.

I think the most important thing is to be honest with ourselves. There are people that go to AA meetings in our group that still drink.Some hide the fact. Most of us when drinking hid our alcoholism one way or the other. (all thats required for membership is a "desire" to stop drinking) There is also a guy that shows up regularly smelling like pot. (stoned). He doesn't really try to hide it. He says he can't quit everything. It takes all kinds to keep the world turning. As long as we are honest with ourselves and don't live in a fantasy (I was always in a fantasy while drinking, even in the sober time) I think thats all we can do.
Fred
Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

l have an occasional drink now and then. (nobody knows except you now)
Maybe 2 a week.
l know l am playing with fire.
This could go well for 2 weeks or 28 months but l will find myself sick and shaking again one day.
Is that honest enough ?

Honesty is the best policy.
~ Don Quixote.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not drinking... 3.5 months. My heart goes out to those still struggling...
Old 09-13-2009, 01:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Ive been open and truthful about my drinking. I still drink. In fear of sounding like a stuck record check my profile to see details. Why am I here? Well I didn't go looking for this site, I was looking for online games arcade and because this board has games it was one of the sites my search engine offered.
Plus theres good people here
Spooky too as ive also had trouble with booze in the past so have a little advice due to experience.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have to be honest too - I stopped completely on feb 2 this year. Completely. Nothing. Nada. No alcohol We went on holiday to mallorca a few weeks ago, and I was worried - worried I would be tempted, worried I would 'use' the holiday as a reason to drink - y'know, just drink on holiday, it's okay etc.. etc.. So, we get there and hooray, they have non alcholic lager on draft (we're all inclusive - even more difficult in some ways). By the way, please no-one start about non-alcoholic beer - I like it, it doesn't make me want to drink. However, one day I ordered one and not concentrating, didn't noticed the barman had poured an alcoholic beer. It's a really really hot day, so i have a huge swig. Aaargh!!! It was a moment when i could've given in and got more, and more,and more.... It was literally a split second choice I made. I gave it to dh and quickly ordered a coke. Have I relapsed??????
Old 09-13-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Originally Posted by Coolmummy View Post
I have to be honest too - I stopped completely on feb 2 this year. Completely. Nothing. Nada. No alcohol We went on holiday to mallorca a few weeks ago, and I was worried - worried I would be tempted, worried I would 'use' the holiday as a reason to drink - y'know, just drink on holiday, it's okay etc.. etc.. So, we get there and hooray, they have non alcholic lager on draft (we're all inclusive - even more difficult in some ways). By the way, please no-one start about non-alcoholic beer - I like it, it doesn't make me want to drink. However, one day I ordered one and not concentrating, didn't noticed the barman had poured an alcoholic beer. It's a really really hot day, so i have a huge swig. Aaargh!!! It was a moment when i could've given in and got more, and more,and more.... It was literally a split second choice I made. I gave it to dh and quickly ordered a coke. Have I relapsed??????
I wouldn't call one big swig a relapse.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Coolmommy,
l would not call that a relapse.
More a slight mistake.
Nothing to worry about.
And it go's to show how strong you were..
Good thinking !
Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good - thank you. Just wish wish wish I could conquer the cigarettes so easily
Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

To thine own self be true.

In my active alcoholism,I lied so much I began to believe myself.

Now as a sober alcoholic,I find honesty to be a very rewarding experience,it's tough but real.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Coolmummy,
Stopping smoking isn't so hard.
You just DON'T light up the next one !
Piece of cake compaired to stopping drinking.

Life is a process. We are a process. The universe is a process.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've not had a drink since last Sunday so seven days. As I'm working all next week it'll be too weeks without really any urges.

But I've got a holiday with two drinking buddies right at the end of Sept/start Oct so there's no way I'll be able to stay sober - but since I'll have three weeks under my belt, a couple of days won't feel too bad.