Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

Reasons why I will never work in the addiction treatment field again

Notices

Old 03-09-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I have worked in three facilities since I got sober and I can tell you that working in the addiction treatment field is not worth it. I just need to get this off my chest....

1) Many of your coworkers and supervisors will be as sick and even sicker than the patients. There are the codependents who let the patients do as they please and the dry drunk cops who come down on people over nonsense.

2) Most treatment facilities are owned by greedy dry drunks who are addicted to money. They try to profit from the 12 steps. I feel that is wrong.

3) You'll will be underpaid. Rehabs make a ton of money but the staff doesn't see very much of it. You could make more at a job that demands much less of you.

4) The treatment at most rehabs is the same. For example, the treatment and staff at the prestigious places aren't any different than the less prestigious places. Nicer rehabs tend to be like resorts where they let the patients run the show.

5) It'll completely ruin your experience in AA. You will get so tired of hearing about recovery and AA.

6) You need to maintain a front at all times. You can't show any weaknesses that your supervisors, coworkers, or patients can exploit. You are in an environment full of sick people who are trying to get over on you.

7) If you work with people that you know from the rooms you will learn what kind of people they really are. They can talk a good game at meetings but you find out they are sleazy behind the scenes.

8) Your supervisors may encourage you to lie to patients. For example the last place I was at claimed that 70% of the patients who stayed in the area after completing treatment stayed sober. That was just a ploy to get them to stay in one of the recovery houses in the area which are owned by the people who operated the rehab.

I could go on but I won't. Thanks for letting me share.....
Old 03-09-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I have seen some real sick folks in the rehab field Nepa. It sounds like it's time to let the past go and move on. You'll be far better off when you do. Remember, those folks you left behind are still going to have to work with each other.

You'll be the one who's better off.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I have always heard it was a high burnout job
and those people end up neglecting their own
recovery sometimes and get drunk
Old 03-10-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

seems i recall ya typin this not too long ago:
"Some of you guys sound really self-righteous and judgmental......
I seriously despise AA saints who prance around as if theirs smells like roses."

pot, meet kettle.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
seems i recall ya typin this not too long ago:
"Some of you guys sound really self-righteous and judgmental......
I seriously despise AA saints who prance around as if theirs smells like roses."

pot, meet kettle.
?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I have seen some real sick folks in the rehab field Nepa. It sounds like it's time to let the past go and move on. You'll be far better off when you do. Remember, those folks you left behind are still going to have to work with each other.

You'll be the one who's better off.
Yes there is some sickos in the field. However, I will say that having my experience has helped me have gratitude for the rehab I went to . It was dirt cheap. Only 6k for 90 days and the counselors were really good. Most of the staff that works there has been there for years which is a good sign that the management isn't backwards. The place didn't have all the whistles and bells that a lot of places have like a swimming pool and gym but that stuff is unnecessary.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
I have always heard it was a high burnout job
and those people end up neglecting their own
recovery sometimes and get drunk
They either relapse or get sick in some other way.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's a guy that owns two living sober houses and makes all of them sit at the same table. And it's the table were everybody dies in the 89 plus that go there at 7:00 am mon-sat I know he's making money. He has people there who work for his company ten buckes an hour really hard work.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NepaGuy View Post
?
Never heard the quote about the pot calling the kettle black?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ive ears many people in meetings over the years say they neglected their own recovery because they were working in others recovery all day long.

As for the personalities, yup, gonna find that anywhere. Need serious detachment tools for that. The steps and God and going thinking of what I can bring. This is where I realize I can only do my small part and try to be the best I can at it. When it's time to move on, God will show me I've done my work.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
Never heard the quote about the pot calling the kettle black?

The phrase "The pot calling the kettle black" is an idiom used to claim that a person is guilty of the very thing of which they accuse another.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You have to do what is right for you. I have had some great therapists in rehab and also noticed some not too good ones. The relapse rate is high so I figure it would be hard emotionally to see someone who you had vested time and interest and hope in fail. You ultimately need to do what is best for you and your mental state. I personally see myself helping alcoholics in the future. AA sponsorship may me my means. Who knows though, I have to clean myself up first!! I do know and understand addiction after feeling it's full pain and wrath. Hopefully I can use this for some good.

Best of luck to you!!!
Lilly
Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostLilly View Post
You have to do what is right for you. I have had some great therapists in rehab and also noticed some not too good ones. The relapse rate is high so I figure it would be hard emotionally to see someone who you had vested time and interest and hope in fail. You ultimately need to do what is best for you and your mental state. I personally see myself helping alcoholics in the future. AA sponsorship may me my means. Who knows though, I have to clean myself up first!! I do know and understand addiction after feeling it's full pain and wrath. Hopefully I can use this for some good.

Best of luck to you!!!
Lilly
I always tell people that it's important not to confuse rehabs with AA. It has been my experience that they are two different animals. Dealing with the patients in rehab isn't the hard part. There is a lot of politics and sick people who work in the addiction treatment field. It's a strange industry.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NepaGuy View Post
...Many of your coworkers and supervisors will be as sick and even sicker than the patients..
Don't doubt it.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've got fair amount of friends who work in the field who'd disagree with you Nepa. Luckily you have a 12 step program here to try and learn from and to get over your resentment.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

As an addendum, it's a good thing your therapists didn't share your experience or maybe they wouldn't have been around to help you........
Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
As an addendum, it's a good thing your therapists didn't share your experience or maybe they wouldn't have been around to help you........
The counselor I had in rehab wasn't a bad persona and she did help me. However, I must say that my first sponsor was the one who saved my life. I met him when he came into share his story. At the rehab I went to they did "sober support" which was when trusted patients were allowed to go to meetings with people from outside the meeting. My fist sponsor would pick me up and talk and take me to meetings. I guess everyone has their place in the world of recovery. I personally have grown to despise the addiction treatment filed. The one place i worked at had a massive rate of relapse among the staff. The staff came and went as fast as the patients.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I worked in aged care for a long time, and will be going back again soon.
One of the reasons I left was the same kind of burn-out you describe NG.
Unfortunately, there are good and bad carers everywhere, and good and bad facilities. The amount of money being made from aged care is humongous, and not much of it gets to the workers....I could go on forever.

It is sad. BUT....there are some good places, and a lot of awesome people who really want to help.

I truly hope that is the same with addiction treatment centres.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I worked in aged care for a long time, and will be going back again soon.
One of the reasons I left was the same kind of burn-out you describe NG.
Unfortunately, there are good and bad carers everywhere, and good and bad facilities. The amount of money being made from aged care is humongous, and not much of it gets to the workers....I could go on forever.

It is sad. BUT....there are some good places, and a lot of awesome people who really want to help.

I truly hope that is the same with addiction treatment centres.
I would consider working at the rehab I went to. The counselors and staff have been there for years which seems to imply that the place is managed well.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think you need to read all of what you wrote very carefully. There are some very dangerous thoughts going on there i'm afraid.