Notices

Language of Letting Go 7/6/13

Old 07-06-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Language of Letting Go 7/6/13

Step Seven

Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings.

In the Sixth and Seventh Steps of the program, we become willing to let go of our defects of character - issues, behaviors, old feelings, unresolved grief, and beliefs that are blocking us from the joy that is ours. Then we ask God to take them from us.

Isn't that simple? We don't have to contort ourselves to make ourselves change. We don't have to force change. For once, we don't have to "do it ourselves." All we have to do is strive for an attitude of willingness and humility. All we have to do is ask God for what we want and need, and then trust God to do for us that which we cannot do and do not have to do for ourselves.

We do not have to watch with bated breath for how and when we shall change. This is not a self-help program. In this miraculous and effective program that has brought about recovery and change for millions, we become changed by working the Steps.

Today, God, help me surrender to recovery and to the process by which I become changed. Help me focus on the Step I need. Help me do my part, relax, and allow the rest to happen.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This has been a challenge for me, a big "get it done" person, I have difficulty letting God do the work. Forcing change, that's my business!!

That's not how it works in this program. I just do the step, then I allow God to do what I can't do for myself. So simple, just ask God to do it. But I can make it so complicated!! I remember how frustrated I was in the first couple weeks after taking step seven because I didn't wake up one morning with these defects gone!! Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly... It's a process, I keep praying about it. "Strive for an attitude of willingness and humility" That's good advice! I don't care who you are!