Notices

How_do_we_know_God's_will?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

How_do_we_know_God's_will?

(I always lead with what step I'm on and what I'm doing in AA)
I'm on step 4, got close to 80 days, almost done with 90 in 90, I chair meetings, I pray, I talk to my sponsor daily.

(now my question)
Well I'm about as bat shyte crazy today as I've ever been - doing and thinking some really crazy thoughts, not so much about drinking, but they are not healthy none-the-less.

So I keep going into a private office, closing the door, and praying "God, please help me to know your will so I may do it. Please help me to stay away from my own will so I may do yours and be of service".

...and then it hit me...how the heck am I to know what's God's will and what's mine?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

the ten commandments come to mind !!!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gold Member

I think God's will is not to force the outcome in any situation and doing what is right and not wrong. The the simple way at any rate.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
..how the heck am I to know what's God's will and what's mine?
'Is it selfish or not?' is always a good place for me to start.

Step 4 can be an uncomfortable place to be. When I finish that, and take it through Steps 5-9, I began to enter into a new relationship with God, even though I didn't know it at the time. That new relationship is marked by moments of inspiration, instead of by me figuring things out.

So how do I know what's God's will and what's my own? I don't. It's not my job to know. It's my job to seek knowledge of his will. I seek and the knowledge is given.

And I try to remember that in addition to knowledge of his will for me, I'm also given the strength to carry it out. Oh my god, how am I going to carry out that will!!?!! I'm given the strength to do it.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Reflection and patience is how I get in touch with my HP. Not REACTING right away to whatever it is. We have a tendancy to REACT right away. What we feel is always RIGHT, what we say is always RIGHT. <- Ick.

This is something I am working on right now.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got myself sooooo crazy with this question after completing Step 3! I was like close-to-obsessed with how I was going to "know" for sure what God's will for me was......I bought a bunch of books on "discernment" (a common religious term for "recognizing God's will"), I brought it up as a topic at meetings, I talked about it to anyone who would listen. I was quite frantic about it for several months.

...and what I eventually realized is that my being frantic, or obsessed, or reved-up about anything is always, for me, a sure sign that I am trying to force my will and figure it out myself instead of truly being open to God's will.

As a program friend of mine used to love to point out to me back in thsoe days: "Figure it out!" is not, for very good reasons, a 12 Step slogan!

What I needed to do, actually, was just to trust (God and the program) and to keep going forward with my Step work, and, through that process and everything I learned in it and gained from it, it just naturally became easier for me to sense and go with the flow of God's will.

At this point, it seems like, when I am in the flow of God's will, I am relaxed and content and at peace....and, when I am reved-up and discontent and in struggle/fighting/forcing mode that's when and how I know I'm off-track and I need to stop, and slow down, and reconnect.

freya

"There is guidance for each of us and through lowly listening we shall hear the right word.....Place yourself in the middle of the stream of Knowledge and Power that flows into your life, then, without struggle, you shall be compelled to Wisdom and to perfect contentment." -- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

...and then it hit me...how the heck am I to know what's God's will and what's mine?

The short answer is you will just know.

The long answer, well, I shall try to explain how it is for me. It's not easy to put into words.

I feel God within me. I feel I am with God. I feel protected and safe. I know something big is on its way for me. I can see it ....but I can't see what it is. Each day I feel closer and closer to it. Each day I more is revealed around me. Each day God sends me new lessons. Sometimes they are easy, sometimes they are are hard. Each one learned takes me closer to God.

When I am faced with a lesson, sometimes I just know what to do. Other times I don't and I pause and ask God what he would have me do. Sometimes the answer is instant. I feel a surge of heat through my body, it really is overwhelming and takes my breath away. I feel a tremendous sense of Power. Usually the answer surprises me but I feel the heat and know I need not fear anything. God will protect me if I follow his will, even if logic (or my own will) suggests that it is a stupid thing to do. I have found that God has not been wrong yet.

Sometimes the answer doesn't come back to me when I ask for it. I have learned not to resist this and just allow this process to happen. It's not time for God to show his will. If I am patient, he will tell me when I am ready. It is usually when I am least expecting it and then suddenly the answer appears and the surge of heat floods through my body again. And then I not only know what I am supposed to be doing but I know why God couldn't tell me when I originally asked because the events which had happened in between were needed to get to the answer. Everything happens in a complete perfect order.......none of which is my making or what I would do for myself.

As I just know that God is with me, I know that I must follow his will. If he told me to take off all my clothes and walk out into the street right now naked, I would do it. Because I just know that I would be safe. If he told me that I need to give away everything I own and go and live somewhere remote with nothing, then I would do it. In fact, I have been letting go of a lot of possessions recently........and each time I do it, he tells me to let go of more because I have not learned the whole lesson yet. Where this lesson is heading, I don't know. I used to have to be in control of everything in my life but now I am happy to just let go. It's quite exciting.

All these lessons that I have been learning seem to be taking me somewhere. I desire to be in that place because I know that it means that I will be closer to God. The feeling that I have when I am with God is far beyond anything I have ever experienced, it's a high I could never have imagined possible.....the thought of not feeling like this is not something that I want.

In fact, when I do step away from God's will, I know it instantly. Instantly I feel different and then I seek to get closer back to God by letting go of my will. Sometimes I don't let go of my will straight away. At times this has caused me frustration because I so want to get back closer to God and being in that place again ......and then I find that there is a reason why I have to play out my will again to learn another lesson. The pain leads to more growth and means I am closer to God. All I can do is be willing to let go and allow the process to happen in God's time.

It says in my signature the quote from the BB about being rocketed into the Fourth Dimension. This was my experience. It really was like being propelled very fast to a new place, a totally different world where I have never been before. The beauty of this place has moved me to tears.

But what I also know is that this is only the start of it. God has a purpose for me, but he has not told me yet what it is. All I know is that I must continue to learn the lessons which are put my way. I know that everything so far has been in perfect order and it was all meant to be, including all the pain and despair of addiction.

God is now directing the show and I just follow the cue.

This is a quote I can really relate to with my experience with God and God's will. It's from a Dr Wayne Dyer lecture called Secrets of an Inspirational (In spirit) Life. He says it far better than me. When I first heard this a few years ago, I didn't understand what he meant. Now I just know.

And I surrender to it and I allow it to take me where I sense it was destined to take me and where I was destined to go with it. And I surrender to that and I get my ego out of it completely.....then I find that is when the miracles take place. That’s when the profound teachings show up. That’s when the synchronicities that just are so inexplicable to our minds begin to surface. That’s when everything just seems to coalesce and gel and be in harmony. It’s almost when you have a sense that you are in collaboration now with fate and you are just in a state of pure allowing. You are just allowing it to come to you
Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I observe and listen, see what is before me, what is needed at those moments of uncertainty. What is needed from me? Not... "what do I need"... Just asking this often brings clarity. God's will is not always knowable, but an open heart and a selfless mind allows us to act as God would have us.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
I think God's will is not to force the outcome in any situation and doing what is right and not wrong. The the simple way at any rate.
In the red. In my case I always HAD to be doing something, even if it was wrong. In a lot of cases in our personal and professional life, it is OK to do nothing. Not every situation needs to be treated with the urgency of a fire alarm going off. When I am unsure of God's will in a certain situation I just wait. More will be revealed later.

Think. Think. Think.

First things First.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on step 4, got close to 80 days, almost done with 90 in 90, I chair meetings, I pray, I talk to my sponsor daily.

(now my question)
Well I'm about as bat shyte crazy today as I've ever been - doing and thinking some really crazy thoughts, not so much about drinking, but they are not healthy none-the-less.

So I keep going into a private office, closing the door, and praying "God, please help me to know your will so I may do it. Please help me to stay away from my own will so I may do yours and be of service".

Well, i look at it like this. On the day I came to AA, it wasn't my intention to go to AA. Whose was it? I went to an AA meeting, got a sponsor, started working the steps, and haven't found it necessary to take a drink since. Where did I get the desire to get sober?? Wasn't my idea. When I pray to do God's will, like in the 3rd step prayer, I'm asking for God to take care of me. I never did that before when I was drinking. Why am I praying for God to take care of me? The other day I heard something that made perfect sense to me. What is spirituality? Spirituality is "living in the Spirit!" Living in the spirit of what/who?? Living in the spirit of AA, and the Spirit of God. If I'm living in the spirit of AA and the Spirit of God, how can I not be doing God's will?

From what you wrote in your post Kjell, I'd say if you aren't doing God's will, you're certainly on the right track. Also, put simply, if you weren't doing God's will you'd still be out there drinking. What do you think?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

12 steps is God's will
Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wink

(now my question)

i May Not Always Know God's Will.. But.. i Always Know What it is Not! (Like Picking Up A Drink!)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Thank you for the great replies!

I'll continue to work the steps and hopefully things will progress.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for the great replies!

I'll continue to work the steps and hopefully things will progress.
I can promise you one thing. If you don't work the steps, and you're an alcoholic like me, things WON'T progress. It'll be down hill and just a matter of time until a drink will seem like a good idea.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I may not always know His will
but I sure know what God does not want me to do.

I stay connected ...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

I struggle with it too at times. Lots of great things said here already! My sponsor got me into the habit of looking at my motives. Also, I know if I feel uneasy in anyway, then it's not God's will I'm working on. All I can do is prey for guidance and direction, and keep a willing heart and mind. The rest work's itself out, when I let it. When I force it...well...that's when I'm screwed!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

...how the heck am I to know what's God's will and what's mine?
For me it is simply a matter of looking at it to see if it is germane to the 4 foundation principles;

1. Is it humble?

2. Is it benevolent?

3. Is it serene?

4. Is it detached from self?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
For me it is simply a matter of looking at it to see if it is germane to the 4 foundation principles;

1. Is it humble?

2. Is it benevolent?

3. Is it serene?

4. Is it detached from self?
I'd just like to co-sign this
Myself, I have to ask questions like these when I am really in doubt. I can't trust weird feelings and things to know if I'm 'doing god's will'. Am I being a selfish a-hole, or not? Am I bringing something helpful to this particular situation, or not? People have been struggling to know what god is and what his will is for thousands of years, don't worry yourself sick if you don't know for certain after not being drunk for 80 days. One foot in front of the other, slow down, pay close attention. Participate in life! Love other people...
Old 03-24-2010, 02:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
4. no

If i wait for my motives to be pure in all these areas to determine an action based on gods will...well...i would never do anythng

Today I'm gonna just make the best decision I can and pray that the selfishness will be removed and the serinity given....

In real life...sitting on my hands watching another suffer as I waffle on god's will is not an option....I do the best I can knowing it is imperfect and hope that god...the great course corrector...will walk with me through the day.

But yes..those are exactly the questions i need to ask my self...thanks beoleo.