confusion on support groups

Old 12-24-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

confusion on support groups

Could someone clarify for me what meeting I should be searching for in my area? I want support as a result of my husband's pain killer/pot addiction, but also I was a child of an alcoholic too.

Do I go to naranon meetngs which I can only find 2 meetings in my area or is there something else? Are meetings for addicts and family together?
Old 12-25-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I only attended one nar anon meeting so I don't have much experience. I do know that there were so many al anon meetings compared to nar anon that most people just went to al anon and applied those principles to the addict in their life.

Nar anon had a much different feel in my experience, they wouldn't let me speak and the meeting was really controlled where as al anon was more accepting and supportive.

I hope that answers your question. Some addicts/alcoholics do go to al anon/nar anon either because they qualify for the program themselves or because they are supporting their loved ones.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think the atmosphere can vary from group to group. Most of my experience has been with Nar-anon. I attended several different Nar-anon groups since we moved several times. All had rules about "cross talk" - no interrupting another member or advice-giving. The meetings involved reading the 12 steps and other Nar-anon literature aloud. In my last group, members took turns selecting a discussion topic and leading the discussion; members could comment if they liked. We welcomed newcomers and asked them, if they felt comfortable, to talk about what brought them to Nar-anon. At the end there was an open discussion. We closed with the Serenity Prayer.

I am now in an area with no Nar-anon so I have been attending Al-anon. The meetings I've been to have seemed much more focused on readings with no particular time devoted to newcomers. That may be just that group; it's very large. There is an ACOA meeting in the area so I may check that out, as well as some other Al-anon groups.

I found Nar-anon resonated a bit more with me than Al-anon. I think there is still a stigma attached to illegal drug use, particularly meth and heroin; I felt I could talk more freely in Nar-anon. That's just me, and it may be that I just lucked into particular groups that were a good fit for me.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi GC
I have never found 2 meetings that were the same, whether they were Alanon, Naranon, or ACOA. I would check out the meetings that are available in your area, and see which one or ones that you like.

The main thing is to find the support you need. The 12 steps are the same in all the programs, and if you can find a group you like, you can probably find a sponsor to help you with applying the steps to yourself. Let us know how it goes. Hugs, Magic
Old 04-25-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know people who use AA, Coda, and ACOA. You don't have to restrict yourself to one. Why not write a list of meetings that fit in easily with your daily schedule and start trying them. There will be some that you like, and others not so much. When you know which you like enough to call it your home group, you might like to make more commitment there. Perhaps getting a sponsor and getting involved and do some service.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know your faith walk, but Celebrate Recovery is set up to help anyone with a hurt, habit, or hangup. They normally have specialty sessions for Codependency. They helped me through some of my darkest days.

Good luck!