Notices

Benzo taper

Old 03-03-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benzo taper

So one day I'll have to look at tapering off benzos. Won't be for quite some months yet but is it really hard? Anything like cold turkey because that was hell.

Don't want medical advice just experiences.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
jkb

I dont want to discourage you and I dont think that dwelling on how bad it will be for months will be helpful to you. I had a rough time with it (I was on 5 mgs of asst benzos daily for over 2 years). However, I did not do a slow taper... talk with your doctor and I am sure they can help you find the way that is least uncomfortable. My advice is to try and remain very optomistic and not stress over every single wierd symptom that pops up... Jess
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Work with your doctor and do a long slow taper. Trick for me was sticking to it.....

If you stick to it exactly and take your time with it, it won't be bad.

Going cold turkey of benzos was an awful experience for me. Had to get back on em to do it right!!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's contrary to what my av wants to do obviously. Starts having less effect, naturally want to take more.

It's going to be hard.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MLC, how about setting yourself up for SUCCESS in recovery instead of looking for where it is doomed? you are already predicting that you will abuse the current meds and that getting off them will be HARD. and that is way down the road.

just for today. stay in TODAY. do whatever it takes TODAY to stay on your chosen path of recovery. quit looking for excuses. that IS addict thinking...it takes work, but you can redirect your thinking. focus on the goal, hon. living a life free from active addiction.

yeah that voice can get loud. the tricks that worked for me were to say, not today....no matter what. and then i'd mentally imagine doors on either side of my head...the door the beast came IN and the door I shuttled the beast on out. move along, nothing to see here, ain't listening, go away.

and I got busy LIVING. seeing the world around me, re-engaging in my surroundings...fresh air, sunrises, birds tweeting, cooking, reviving all my senses. we have to recreate pathways in our brain. find joy. find beauty.

I wish the VERY best for you!!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The voice is so strong. I guess it's hard to xhange after so long hey.

I'm already abusing the meds I'm on. I'm too scared to take less. Maybe I'll stop snorting them for a start. Baby steps.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes I think that would be a good idea???? remember, we are taking them AS prescribed....does it SAY on the bottle to crush them up and ingest them nasally? think not. you are way smarter than this....so stop it!

yeah the voice is loud, especially when we continue to feed our addiction. you don't HAVE to listen. I know, that seems impossible. but it's not. cravings only last for SO long...the trick is to outlast them. which I KNOW you can do!!!

so yeah, baby steps. stop abusing the current meds. if you cannot control that, even with your husbands help, then you go back to the doc and say this ain't working, I need to be off everything.

what happened to inpatient? you deserve the best chance possible.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
yes I think that would be a good idea???? remember, we are taking them AS prescribed....does it SAY on the bottle to crush them up and ingest them nasally? think not. you are way smarter than this....so stop it!

yeah the voice is loud, especially when we continue to feed our addiction. you don't HAVE to listen. I know, that seems impossible. but it's not. cravings only last for SO long...the trick is to outlast them. which I KNOW you can do!!!

so yeah, baby steps. stop abusing the current meds. if you cannot control that, even with your husbands help, then you go back to the doc and say this ain't working, I need to be off everything.

what happened to inpatient? you deserve the best chance possible.
It doesn't actually say. It just says take 2 tablets 3 times a day :p. I know it's stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. Sorry for the lack of punctuation, I'm lazy on my bogan phone.

I don't want to be off benzos. I'm too scared to get those out of control suiicidal times again. Short term inpatient will happen but he wants me to get stable on the ads first and work through some issues that I've suppressed my whole life first otherwise I'll be back to where I started. I'm terrified.

I've given up meth/speed/LSD/heroin/pot/alcohol:ecstasy in my lifetime but this seems the hardest of all /(.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

it's scary only because it's the LAST thing. your addict voice tells you can't survive unless you give in. it's a lie. all that crap in your head is nothing but lies. if you have a counselor or therapist you can begin to work the stuff from the past, with a safe trusted guide. I had an awesome counselor, Jodi - man was I a whacked out mess the first time we met!!!

break it down to five minutes at a time if you have to.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The counselor I have is not very Good. I get mkre out of talking to my pastor and gp. Still waiting to hear from atods