Notices

Quitting Roxies...Any Tips or Help?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Roxies...Any Tips or Help?

Hey everybody, I've been reading the posts here for a good while, preparing myself to finally get off of these things for good. Some quick information about me....I'm a 21 year old male, about 5'8 140lbs, and have been using mostly Roxicodone, and Oxycontin when that's not around. I've been snorting about 120 mgs a day for around 9 months now. I've actually detoxed once before back in March, but as I've heard so many other people say, I thought that I could handle, "just this one time." And I'm back, even worse than before. But, I'm ready to quit this stuff for good this time. My main problem through detox is the insomnia. I mean I can't even sleep for 30 minutes. I mean I know that I'll just have to deal with it but man it's hard. I really don't even crave the drug, it's just getting through the detox that's so hard for me. But I really can't keep doing this to myself. I'm only 20 years old and I need to start concentrating on getting my life started. I'm really sorry about the venting but, I told my parents the first time, and they understood completely. I couldn't do that to them again. I'm going to keep this updated throughout my entire detox because from what I've read on here, so many of you have helped people get through this before. Again, sorry that I wrote so much, but any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much guys.

K
Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kittner33

I know how it feels to relapse. Ugh. The roughest will be over in no time, I like to tell myself...what difference would it be had I really gotten sick with an actual flu? You can do it, and you always have this board for support. Knowing your not alone is real comforting.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Kittner330!
I am going to join you and have taken my last this morning. There is a 'Thomas Recipe" which I have found helpful during wd's. You can always google it and it might even be listed on this site.

I think it is great you decided to stop the madness. The longer you use the harder it will be to quit and the worse the wd's.

Good luck and I am rooting for ya!!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

K,

Every day, week, month and year you continue to use, make it harder to quit. Snorting will eventually turn to shooting.

Enlist the help of your family. You would be suprised at their willingness to help you.

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards man.

My best tips are:
1) Talk to a doctor about your problem. I don't want to get into naming drugs, but there are things that can be prescribed that help with w/d's that are non-narcotic.
2) If possible, wean down on your usage before you quit. Coming off a 120mg/day oxy snorting habit is going to prove pretty unpleasant. It'd be easier if you got it down a bit first. Can you enlist someone to help with doing this, someone to divvy your pills to you? Even just a week of tapering would help.
3) Once you're in w/d's, plan on being sick for about 5-7 days. Don't make plans, don't need to go to work, don't plan on doing s**t aside from laying around feeling like crap.
4) Stock up on food you like to eat (even if it isn't that healthy, just something that you like, cause you won't want to eat at all), liquids you like to drink (gatorade is good), advil for aches and pains, and immodium ad for the runs. People have differing thoughts about the issue of taking something to sleep, but ... I found Unisom actually could put me out when I got tired enough during w/d's, whereas Benadryl/Tylenol PM could not, it just made it worse. If you smoke, make sure you have plenty of cigarettes. You're going to be needing them, and won't want to have to go out and get them.
5) Make sure you have lots of CD's, DVD's and/or video games around too ... you'll need something to entertain you to keep your mind occupied and not dwelling on how crap you feel.
6) Start going to some groups of recovering addicts pretty much as soon as you're physically able. Believe me, it makes you feel better.

That's about it. It does SUCK kicking dope, but it really doesn't last that long, and once you're done, you're done. Or at least you have the opportunity to be done.

Good luck, and keep posting through your detox. That'll make you feel better too
Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure you've heard this and probably will a few more times. Your 21. STOP NOW! This will be the game for many years to come if you don't. You WILL lose everything in the end. you won't see it coming until it has already consumed your life, work, relationships, family, and yourself. If I could reach through this computer screen and smack you upside the head I would. This is how it begins. Whatever you must do, do it now. There is no I'll do it later. This is your life and you havn't even begun it yet. Be careful of who you may think your friends are. A real friend should help keep you straight, not enable you. I wish I had somebody to talk sense into me when I was 21. I thought I knew everything. I was wrong. Don't let yourself be wrong like me.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I must congratulate you on wanting to get your life straight at your age. I wish I had done it. I'm 49 and off the opiates now for almost 6 months. I agree that weaning off them is way easier on your body. You CAN do this. Detox straight sucks, but when its over, you will feel so good - physically, emotionally, spiritually and it is so nice to be able to think straight again.

Welcome to SR, and know that we are here to support you.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First off I just really want to thank all of you for the support and responding so quickly. Like I said, everyone around me thinks I've been clean for a while now so it's a huge help to be able to get all of this off my chest and for people to actually listen, so thank all of you so much. I really would have liked to wean down but, I got laid off from work last week and the money I do have, has to go towards my car payment. So I really have no choice but to go cold turkey. Which is actually ok with me because I think having to endure all of this will actually stick. It's been about 20 hours so far and the main symptoms have already begun, the lethargy, the aches and pains, and the fatigue. I'm just trying to keep a positive attitude with this because I know I did this to myself and there's really no way around it so...why not you know? But I'm going to go try to get some yard work done and just try to block it all out while it's not so bad. So thank you all again, this really means the world to me right now. I'll post again shortly.

K
Old 06-27-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do this!
My son is your age and he is battling a major substance abuse problem. The amount of self destruction he has been through in the past three months is breath-taking for me to say the least. The advice that everyone has given you is so true. Come back here as often as you can and get the support you need. Remember you are valued and loved by your family and friends. One of the posters said to be careful of who your friends are. I wholeheartedly agree.
Find new friends, go to NA...and reach out when you are feeling weak. God will open doors for you, but you have to be looking for them.
My prayers are with you.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey there

hey everyone my name is chris im 24 years old and im addicted to roxies and sick and tired of it i snort anywhere from 3 to 8 a day depends what i have i worry everyday about how im gonna manage my money and where im gonna get my next 10 pack of these blue devils ive wasted so much money on these and barely pay my bills because of it ive tried quitting multiple times and failed after a day or two i just couldnt deal with the feeling ive been on these for just about a year but i have been doing opiates for about 10 years between perk 10s and vics whatever i can get my hands on i completley hate lieing to my friends and family and running myself broke week in and out i get all the symptoms i hear everyone talk about the restless leg is horrible cant sleep at all i feel so uncomfortable in my own skin i get the runs headaches and just feel useless i have a physically demanding job and as an electrician and trying to work while w/d feels impossible i feel so stuck and i dont know what to do it seems like there is tons of support on here and im hoping for some answers i w/d for 5 days once and the 5th day was just as hard as the 1st and it felt as if it would never go away and the only reason i lasted that lon was because u couldnt get my hands on anything help in anyway would be greatly appreciated thankyou so much to everyone who replys to this any advice would be great and just so everyone knows i am aware i didnt use any punctuation here and i apologize in advance for this and as of right now i have not started quitting just yet right now im still using just looking for the best way to do it
-chris:rotfxko
Old 01-29-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Julz

Schwab54

Hey Chris,
You should start your own new thread, so that people know that your new and needing help.
But anyway, I know how you are feeling. I have been an opiate addict for over 10 years myself, and getting off them was without a doubt, the worst thing I ever had to deal with, even worse than giving birth!! But it is possible. I tried quitting multiple times, untill finally I was informed about a methadone maintaence program (or suboxone). Now I know we are not supposed to give medical advice, but its just an option that you may want to look into, Since I started the clinic, I have been abke to get my life on track again. And I know thst methadone and suboxone are addictive as well, but the people at the clinic can monitor you and wean you off very slowly, without much pain or discomfort. But I do realize tis may not be an option for you either. If not, you should plan a week or two off of work, maybe rent a hotel room with a good friend and tough it out...i know it sounds impossible, but its not. If I can get off, anyone can. You are young and strong!! You can do it. Get out there and get every option available to you, go to meetings, get on here more, maybe counceling. I really hope this info helped you out a little. Please send me a messagde if youd like, im on here alot.
Best of uck to you!!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Julz

Hey chris, im gonna try and send u a message, so that we can share some more, id love to help if I can in anyway..
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks guys since my last post I lasted a whole day and went right back to doing them again I just did my last 4 today and decided that that is it for me no matter what pain and suffering I endure I have to stick it out I have been reading about the Thomas recipe and I'm thinking about trying it everything that's over the counter I can go and buy but as far as kpins and Xanax I don't have access to those unfortunately hopefully I can do this I'm an electrician so my job is demanding physically and I work Monday thru Friday and I can't take off I'm making great money right now up near 1200 to 1400 a week and I don't want to chance taking off from work and not coming back to this job and seeing all this money come in and all the bills I can pay off if I don't waste my money on these blue devils is just amazing I love doing these pills they make me feel like a million bucks and I can get thru any work day on them with ease but can't do it anymore if anyone has any tips seeing as I will be working for the rest of the week and going they hell that would be amazing I'm going to go buy the OTC Meds today after work so if anyone could tell me exactly what to get that would be cool too I can't pm cuz I havnt posted 5 post yet I'm being told but when I can I will hopefully I hear back soon : ) god bless all of you
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

btw not sure if the amount you do on a daily basis affects how bad the w/d are but as of late I have been doing up to near 8 to 10 a day of the 30 mg roxys so yeah I know I'm in for some hell and if any of you can tell me how long I should be expecting to be going through hell that would be great to know when to expect to start feeling better and what to expect to be experiencing these first couple days or even the next week thankyou all so much