Notices

Sponsors

Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Sponsors

I moved to a new state and I have been attending AA meetings. I'm not an alcoholic (haha that's what we all say). But honestly, drugs (any kind) are my thing. Ive been sober for a little over a month after being on an almost 5 year straight run. The HA meetings I have attended were more like a place to find a plug then anything else and so Ive settled in with a young group (I'm 27) of AA(er's). They're great! Super supportive but there are only a couple other girls and none have a lot of time under there belts.
I really want this to work, I've relapsed and ran back to my stupid ways too many times before. I really want to work the steps and I really want to do this the right way. I need a sponsor, badly! I don't know what to do and could really use either some advice. Do I have to be able to meet with a sponsor physically or is there somewhere online I could find someone, exchange info and numbers, talk on the phone, facetime or skype
Old 02-09-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome to SR!
Generally I tell folks to keep going to meetings until you find someone there who really has something special that you admire about them. Something about their recovery that you'd like to have (perspective, enthusiasm, spirituality, humor, whatever) and then meditate or think on it a bit and then just be honest and ask them if they'd be willing to sponsor you. If they say yes, it's good to be able to meet face to face and fairly frequently in the beginning, but there's no law that says you can't talk on the phone or facetime or Skype. Depending upon where you both live, you may have to.
The point is find someone you feel like you're going to be able to relate to. If a potential sponsor turns you down, just move on to someone else. Don't take it personally. Not all folks like to sponsor. Some don't have time, some don't feel it's crucial to do so (I do think it is, myself, but that is neither here nor there). You will find one if you keep trying. Good luck to you!
Old 02-09-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check out local meetings and tell them you are looking for an sponsor you can always do a temporary sponsor and see if they work well with you if not then you can always look for another one till you have one that you feel comfortable with. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was wondering about the sponsor thing, too. Thanks, SnDnTn for the thread. There's also a great post about sponsors from OpioPhobe on page 7, I think, of the Hydro Thread. You might find it helpful.
Good luck, and glad to 'see' you here.