Notices

Travel Question

Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Travel Question

Okay - totally unrelated to addiction, but my husband is attending a four day conference in Atlanta in a couple weeks and I actually snagged a sitter so I can go. WoooHooo! Anybody familiar with the area? Any recommendations? I like historic stuff, shopping and architecture and gardens. Oh, and good restaurants. Any hints would be appreciated. Did I mention how excited I am to leave dreary old New England in January?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccgirl2 View Post
Okay - totally unrelated to addiction, but my husband is attending a four day conference in Atlanta in a couple weeks and I actually snagged a sitter so I can go. WoooHooo! Anybody familiar with the area? Any recommendations? I like historic stuff, shopping and architecture and gardens. Oh, and good restaurants. Any hints would be appreciated. Did I mention how excited I am to leave dreary old New England in January?
I lived in Atlanta for many years. Some highlights:

- The High Museum of Art, it's right downtown and contains some priceless pieces.

- Stone Mountain, a great public park next to what's probably the 2nd best mountain carving in the USA (second only to Mt. Rushmore)

- Tons of nightclubs, jazz clubs, and so forth.

- I know for a fact there are some historical museums, but I never checked them out. I'm sure you know Atlanta was burned to the ground by General Lee during the civil war. But the south rose again!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

cc - you DO realize I LIVE on the south side of Atlanta, don't you? I work on the northside so drive right through downtown every night!

Ex-junky is correct, and we also have a new aquarium that's really cool. I'll have to check with some others about restaurants, since the only one I ever go to is the one I work at and it's fast food.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why I did I say "General Lee"? My buddies from the south would slap me silly for that gaff! of course I meant General Sherman.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ex....sounds like you're thinking of the dukes of hazzard
Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I Stand At The Turning Point

lmao ex i was comin here swingin about to correct u on shermans march :P Glad u beat me to it. But yea Atlanta is cool, it depends what ur into and how far you are willing to travel. You mentioned history, there are ALL KINDS of old plantation tours and stuff like that all over Ga. Once when I was very young visiting family in Atlanta, we went 'panning for gold' at some old gold mine called something like Dellonaga (i prolly butchered the spelling on that). That was alot of fun and they had tours of the mines and you could try your luck at panning your own gold. Also Savanna Ga is awesome, its a lil far from Atlanta but an amazing place teeming with history. The book and movie 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' took place there i believe. If you have a whole free day, my suggestion would be to check Tybee Island out, although i dont know what goes on there this time of year. Anyhow hope you enjoyed your vacation, atlanta is an awesome city!

Edit And stone mountain is awesome too, and has a lot of history. It is considered the rebirth place of the KKK. Throughout history as the clan has 'died' and been 'ressurected' the resurrection usually happened there. Not that im into that, but I am into history
Old 01-09-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just please DEar Lord, pray you dont have to do any driving in ATL, they are ruthless..... I used to be white knukled on the steering wheel.... other than that, Atlanta is a wonderful place filled with great shops and great restarunts........have a great time, be safe, we will miss you horribly
Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, Tenn, I had to laugh at the driving thing. Have you ever driven in Boston? We go out of our way to be rude. I've also driven in New York City a lot. And Baltimore and D.C. So, I think I'll be OK, although I'm will to give MARTA a try.

Ex, Stone Mountain - excellent suggestion

Pete, I've actually been to Savannah. Stayed a few days. If I could, I'd buy a house and relocate there I loved it so much. I'm definitely going to check out a plantation also.

Is there an area that's kind of Greenwich Village style; you know, kind of low key, but funky; thrift shops and little cafes and used book stores?

Oh, my, I'm so excited. We never go anywhere and this northerner hasn't been to the south in years!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Little Five Points is a cool area. There's a "gentleman's club" there that is really sleazy....it is a legend. The Claremont is the name I think. It is a real freak show. Butt, you might not wanna see that kinda stuff. There are some skanky things to see there.

Did I just say too much?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I went to a really cool restaurant in Savanah on the ICW (intercostal waterway)
SEAFOOD !!!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Windy, you didn't say enough? What's the address? LOL
Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Actually it is the Clermont Lounge

789 Ponce De Leon Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30306-4396
Phone: (404) 874-4783

here is a review i found on the interwebz....

This is the most bizzare place i have ever seen. The strippers are either 60+ years old or covered with body hair and tattoos. If you've ever wanted to see a woman crush a beer can with her breasts, or see a 65 year old woman strip and give a lap dance,then hey you better hustler on over to the Clermont. We had a fun time only because the place is so freaky you can't help but laugh.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OMG I'm soooo there!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's great, Windy....now when cc comes down here, WE can go to the Clermont. I figured it had to be on Ponce de Leon....all the "fun" stuff is there.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Firstnm, I don't think I'll be making it that far out of the city, but thank you for the advice. Actually, I live on Cape Cod and we own a marina. Our customers give us free scallops, lobsters, bass, etc. How lucky am I? I love seafood! Oh, except the oily fishes, yuck!

Amy, I cannot wait to meet you! I mentioned it to my husband and even HE was OK with it. (He can be very protective sometimes) I'm thinking we find a landmark like Peachtree Plaza or something. First, let me find out where we're staying so you have a better idea since you know the city. He's out with the dog right now so I can't ask. I'll find out late. Can you tell I'm excited?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yipppeeee -

I love the Peachtree Plaza...we used to take family to the restaurant on the top floor when they would come in town. I actually used to work right down the road from there.

Glad your husband "approves" Just let me know where you're staying...like I said, I'll be working every night (go in at 10) but we'll figure out something. I'm excited too!!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is so neat! **{cc}} and **{Amy}} you guys get to meet each other!! :bounce And **{cc}} gets a free vacation!! Ohh, I am soo jealous!!!

Are you really going to that strip club?? Leave it to our windy to know of such a place!! LOLOL!!
Being totally honest, I've often wanted to go in one of those places just to see if its what I picture it like in my mind! {LOL} I've nothing against nudity and all but am thinking I would probably turn red and walk right back out!

If you go **{cc}} you'll definitely have to get a few pics for us if they allow it!
Hehe!!

~Jane
Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness Jane. I went into a sex club in New Orleans one time and lordy, the things they were doing to each other...I could hardly wait to get my husband back to our room!!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

**{CC}}!!! TMI!! TMI!!!
LOL...just kidding but I about fell off my chair when I read that!!
{HUGS}}
Jane
Old 01-11-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by ccgirl2 View Post
Oh my goodness Jane. I went into a sex club in New Orleans one time and lordy, the things they were doing to each other...I could hardly wait to get my husband back to our room!!!!!
that place is wild for sure. i forget the name. the bar name is a girl's name. they need to turn up the air conditioning in there.....for some reason it was really hot.

Colette's ?