Notices

Panic attacks

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks

I'm having panic attacks all day long. It's very annoying and exhausting. My heart would be racing with difficulty breathing.It's scary. My sponsor said it will disappear just like my mood swings disappeared. So is it normal? Can you please share you experience with panic attacks. I never had them before.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

For the first several months after I detoxed, I had panic attacks. They were bad in the beginning -- I'd wake up hyperventilating, heart palpitating. I spent a lot of time learning how to meditate (just trying to get my head to be still -- in the beginning, I was lucky to make it ten or twenty seconds!), using scent and sound (music with no words -- lyrics, no matter how mellow, tended to make it worse), and trying to find quiet, comfortable places to calm myself.

Later in recovery -- somewhere around three, three & a half years -- they came back, though not quite as bad. I saw a therapist who talked me through some progressive relaxation exercises and guided meditations, which helped a lot. She also helped me to uncover several sources of stress that I hadn't been aware of. Just because we have steps and sponsors doesn't mean that, at times, we don't need a little extra help. She didn't prescribe anything for me -- just helped me to help myself.

I'll pray you feel better soon, Jane.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Later in recovery -- somewhere around three, three & a half years -- they came back, though not quite as bad. I saw a therapist who talked me through some progressive relaxation exercises and guided meditations, which helped a lot. She also helped me to uncover several sources of stress that I hadn't been aware of. Just because we have steps and sponsors doesn't mean that, at times, we don't need a little extra help. She didn't prescribe anything for me -- just helped me to help myself.
Jody, thanks for your feedback. I think I should see a therapist. However, the doctors here are for money. They over medicate you. We are goldmines to them. My doctor wanted me to stay on subutex because I was a cashcow to him. I recently talked to another doctor and he said he cannot really make any diagnoses before I am 6 months clean. He thinks some of the symtoms maybe pure withdrawal. So I am planning to wait till I have 6 months clean and then check with the doctor. I donnot wnat any medication. last time they put me on Ritalin and I abused it. I feel therapy could help but I dont want to pay more money. My sobriety is becoming more expensive then my drug use lol. I want to eat healthy, look healthy..go to a gym ... or is it simple my unmangeability in controlling my money?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find an inexpensive option Jane - I found a therapist helped me manage my panic attacks too

D
Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jane_668 View Post
Jody, thanks for your feedback. I think I should see a therapist. However, the doctors here are for money. They over medicate you. We are goldmines to them. My doctor wanted me to stay on subutex because I was a cashcow to him. I recently talked to another doctor and he said he cannot really make any diagnoses before I am 6 months clean. He thinks some of the symtoms maybe pure withdrawal. So I am planning to wait till I have 6 months clean and then check with the doctor. I donnot wnat any medication. last time they put me on Ritalin and I abused it. I feel therapy could help but I dont want to pay more money. My sobriety is becoming more expensive then my drug use lol. I want to eat healthy, look healthy..go to a gym ... or is it simple my unmangeability in controlling my money?
I found the same as you. When you get on meds they know full well you'll have to come back for refills, which requires an appoitment, which means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I do respect the other doctor for NOt trying to diagnose you, for a bit.
A cousellour told me the same. she said to me ,there is no point in me trying to help you with your problems because of the withdrawl. I guess cuz it's too confusing and misleading.

Breath in breath out.......one day at a time, or one second at a time. let you body re-ajust to life, drug free.
You'll feel much better as the days wear on. I promise!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read somewhere once a good tip for panic attacks that helped me through them.

Think of a panic attack as a raging river. It often comes without warning and can often feel like it's power is going to consume you. Now imagine trying to fight it by going upstream. You're not going to win, in fact you're probably going to exert yourself too much and get swept under anyway.

Instead of fighting it, think of how a tree acts in a raging river. It gets pushed to and fro, and allows the river to take hold of it, but it still ends up staying where it is. Think of yourself as the tree in this panic attack. Allow it to go through you, feel whatever it is trying to make you feel, bad, crazy, overwhelming.. everything. Just let it course through. Eventually it will subside and you'll come out of it just fine, and the river will become calm once again.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't believe I forgot this

there's always our Anxiety forum if you haven't looked there
Anxiety Disorders - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your feedback. I am a bit confused right now because it seems like a party is going on in my head but only in the morning(before 4 pm). I would be so anxious with no concentration at all , couldnot even read books for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Then after 4 ,I would be so calm and clear headed that I would get a week's work done in an hour.Just like in college, I would waste time all day long then study from 4 pm to 4am. It's crazy. I like to cram and I miss appointments. Putting note stickers helped a lot. It maybe ADD but with panic attacks. I talked to my doctor and he said we can try other medications and I said a BIG NO. I need to work this without medications. So I am going to find another doctor perhaps a therapist not a psychiatrist.

I talked to my sponsor and she said that the best solution is to give msyelf sometimes till I am 6 months clean meanwhile if I can get my work done in an hour then so it be.She said I need to do a complete medical check up and she's right. She says it could simply be PAWS and eating lots of junk food. She said I should be gentle on myself without panic and googling what's wrong with me lol( I do this a lot). She simply told me just to RELAX and do what could be done and let go of the rest..so yeah I am much calmer now.

I sometimes want to fix myself and think i have this or that...Also, my mom is schizophranic and I have a lots of fear of ending up like her. Everyday ,I check up the symptoms of schizophrania than I realize I am not. I'm just scared .Sometimes sobriety is scary when you see people living normally and you know you have no clue how to live like others and be as confident. It's easier sometimes to be mentally ill because then you dont have to think.I feel this could be a hidden reservation that I can be like normies and act like them. I know I am a perfectionist and no matter what i do it's never enough for me. Perhaps I am just rambling but I needed to get this out and simply relaz. She keeps telling me that I am doing all what I should be doing and that's enough for today. I know this too shall pass so I should stay focused on today and work my recovery for today only. I jsut have to focus on the next 24 hours. The good things is that I donnot have any urges to use just confusion and feeling like I'm going crazy. So yeah this too shall past and hopefully it would be just a memory in the future.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well I am lucky I guess. I found a 12 step therapist and we're going to work on cognitive therapy. She said she can run some tests and help me get through my anxiety using helpful tools. I am excited.