Notices

Thinking I might need some AA Support

Old 09-26-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So I'm 3 meetings in, and definitely see what you all mean about different meetings, different vibes.

First meeting as I said, certainly made me think it wasn't going to be a bad as I had seen on the multitude of youtube vids. The people tended to be older, mainly around my age, but a lot of some seriously sad a messed up lives.

Second meeting. That was just as bad as I suspected from youtube. Prayers constantly, Thanks Be to God every second sentence. That one was just awful, couldn't wait to get out of it

Third meeting, different again. Much more like the first one. Younger crowd, more of a group of fairly serious professionals, but with a drink problem which we all were battling through.

Going to try a few more, I'm I'll find one or two that will work for me
Old 09-26-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad to hear this! You are taking a great approach - at the beginning, for me and lots I have heard from since, you just have to be open to the program. I can remember my dad saying to me (ahem, for years) that I "might be right and AA is for the birds. But I know an awful lot of people who got sober that way." Turns out, for me, he was spot on.

Keep going and let us know how it's going. If you decide to really give it a shot, I'd suggest getting a sponsor and working the steps - toe in the water is a start, and to really understand how to live sober and well, that's the next piece.

Take care.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like you are heading in the right Direction, glad to hear you are keeping an open mind.