Alcohol Explained

Old 05-31-2022, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Explained

I finally picked up "Alcohol Explained" as an audiobook and tore through it in two days (it's only 6 hours). I loved it! Some of my biggest takeaways:
  1. I love the author's theory that the subconscious/conscious realization that "hair of the dog" is a viable relief option is the biggest trigger point for alcoholism. I distinctly remember the first time I had a big vodka drink after a night of heavy drinking, and it was like a lightbulb went off -- I felt like I could "get through anything" with alcohol and avoid pain at any cost. It was the point at which I went from a "occasional college binge drinker" to an "alcoholic."
  2. I love the idea that alcoholics are not just "broken" or diseased people genetically-inclined to addiction, but have had neural pathways rewired by alcohol after avoiding anxiety/withdrawals by drinking more; this behavior cannot be unlearned once learned, making moderation impossible. It'll be like an itch you can't scratch at the anesthetic effects of alcohol wear off well before the counteracting adrenaline does (you will always want another). It also dispels the myth of the "normal" drinker and casts alcohol as a poison w/ addictive qualities regardless of who consumes it.
  3. It's encouraging to read something so empowering. Biggest takeaways: you are NOT powerless. You are NOT diseased. And no one is safe from alcohol addiction. Alcoholics aren't cylons hiding amongst the general population, anyone can become an alcoholic.
  4. Lastly, you absolutely CAN reason your way out of addiction... but only once equipped with the right set of facts and knowledge about the substance itself, and with sobriety.
I was surprised that several points in the book seemed to describe my experience with alcohol so precisely. I'm seventeen months sober and I feel so empowered by this book. Onward!
Old 09-05-2022, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love this book!
Old 09-05-2022, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for bumping Viking.

Evoo, I never noticed you posted this. I have it downloaded. One of my classmates, ClearPath, suggested it last fall, and I do no know why I was hesitant, but I got the book. Love to read and reread.

Amazing, brilliant, and a lifesaver.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2024, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Just finished this book. As with all books, I found something that will stick with me. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Evoo ive heard the author on a good few podcasts too and always found him fascinating. Always intresting.